The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara languages....  (Read 204 times)

Eregion

• View Profile
    Layonara languages....
    « on: July 24, 2006, 02:55:09 pm »
    There are different languages right? what i'd like to ask is this : are there any dictionaries and alphabets were i could learn the language? preferably deep drow and duergar....

Lord of the Forest

Re: Layonara languages....
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 02:56:36 pm »
    If you are an elf for example, you get the elven ear so you can understand it and also write in elven. Quite useful.

Eregion

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:10:53 pm »
      but if you are human? and you know their languages in the game? (i don't really know them)

minerva

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:12:14 pm »
      If you wish to learn another language as a player character, you must learn it from another player. For example if you wish to learn drow you must convince a drow player to teach you the language and spend several months of intensive RP learning it.
        Keeping the learning process in your character develpoment journal will help with the approval for the language "ear" once you submit to in the character submissions for the language.
        You may only know as many extra languages as your natural intelligence modifier. Starting languages do not count against this. For example an Elf with an intelligence of 12 could know common, elven and one other language.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 04:50:06 pm »
      The "languages" you see used in game aren't functional languages, they just replace letters with other letters or groups of letters to make it look kinda like the language its simulating. So, you can't "learn" words or make a dictionary, but you could make a code sheet that matches each letter to its replacement allowing you to decode from or into the languages.

If you're interested in "real" elven (i.e. functional Tolkien) look here for dictionaries and resources: http://www.grey-company.org/

Edit: I don't think anyone has really developed the duergar language

Dorganath

RE: Layonara languages....
      « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:03:26 pm »
      There is no duergar language.
        And as Talan said, there are no dictionaries as such.
        If you want to learn a language, you can do it in-game through RP, and after a sufficient amount of time (several RL months) you can get granted an ear item, that allows you to speak and understand a particular language.

Eregion

• View Profile
        « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 05:55:56 am »
        So there is a dwarven language ear? and no duergar one? hhmm too bad i like duergar they're sooo cool and evil!!! The idea of "learning" it is very good and realistic though for an MMORPG and should be like that. This came to mind right NOW!! Do you imagine language schools? where PCs might take teaching as work aside from adventuring? Than i wouldn't like EVERYONE to start speaking in elven or dwarven either... Don't know. what do you think?

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:10:39 am »
        To learn a new language you need a certain INT if I recall right though you'll need to RP it and takes a lot of time IG. Often I see teaching in private so I don't really know about schools since a private teacher, so another PC, is a far better RP opportunity than one teacher and like 15 pupil just listening.

Edit: And yes, there's a dwarven ear around, heh.

Eregion

• View Profile
          « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 06:16:40 am »
          no no the schools that i wish are not like that : 15 pupils hearing etc that would be boring. I imagine something like rooms with one teacher and one pupil in each. It will be private in a way but that would join all the teachers and pupils together, maybe even learn from each other through RPing, just an idea i mean

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:19:17 am »
          Well, such things already happen as far as I know of. Just not in a local area but in player houses or somewhere else, you don't really need a certain location *winks*

Eregion

• View Profile
            « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:44:33 am »
            Uh if you say so, then again just an idea

silverdraco

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:01:39 am »
            Now that people are talking about languages I have a small Question. My character Sonya Darsus has a familiar named Draconia wich is a psedodragon (if I got it right). Now i have rp'ed that it knows common just like its mistress sonya. But should it know the dragon languege as whell since it is a dragon it self. or does that depent on the way it has been trained by its owner. or owners in this case since Sonya got Draconia from her mother.  
              Any answer would be helpfull.

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 07:06:05 am »
            No, only one person that I can think of knows the dragon language. You may only learn it from that one person (through at least 2 RL years of RP and study) or from a dragon through a lot of studying. And they don't teach others their language.

Sorry, we just do not allow that language to be learned easily.

minerva

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 07:08:40 am »
            Characters will not get the ear of the language of their familiar nor can they learn the language of their familiar from them. This was done in the past and abused so it was restricted.

darkstorme

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 08:40:53 am »
            I don't have the Monster Manual with me at work, but the ever-handy d20srd tells us that the pseudodragon can only communicate telepathically with characters that speak Common or Sylvan... which implies that would be the extent of its own spoken languages, as well, if it can vocalize normal humanoid tongues at all.

I think that while Pseudodragons are technically dragons under the rules, the pseudo refers to their diminished intelligence (compared to their larger cousins) and their lack of a number of draconic abilities - including, sensibly, the language.

Diamondedge

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 05:53:53 pm »
            Turor will be more than happy to teach you the animal language.

Of course, you might be speaking a different animal language than all the other people in Layonara... Might sound like grunting, laughing and belching...

scifibarbie

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:16 am »
            So heres a question...my character being half-elven, seems to understand elven easily, yet she cannot speak it. Or rather, I dont know how to use the ear for elven thingy. So I am getting tutored by and elf. Makes good Rping but I am interested to know how to use the ear for elven.

Acacea

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 02:01:48 am »
            Half elves automatically understand elven but do not speak it. If they want to speak elven then it's either requested on submission or granted later on after the whole learning process.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 04:39:21 am »
            scifibarbie - 7/31/2006  2:23 AM  So heres a question...my character being half-elven, seems to understand elven easily, yet she cannot speak it. Or rather, I dont know how to use the ear for elven thingy. So I am getting tutored by and elf. Makes good Rping but I am interested to know how to use the ear for elven.

After RPing this for a while you can request the ear so you can speak it too. It takes a long time to learn a wholely new language but half-elves that already understand it can probably learn to speak it quicker since they don't have to learn to understand AND speak it, just to speak it.

Dorganath

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 05:10:57 am »
            Incidentally, I believe the justification for half-elves being able to understand the language is that their elven mothers (if that is the case) generally commune with their unborn fetuses during periods of meditation (i.e. rest, since elves don't technically sleep).

anything