The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...  (Read 1029 times)

OneST8

Re: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 01:11:13 am »
Yeppers! The big guy does indeed accepts money orders. All the info you should need for that can be found on the Donations page!

Nyralotep

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 01:17:07 am »
Very cool news!

Eight-Bit

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 01:34:12 am »
OneST8 - 4/24/2006 4:11 AM Yeppers! The big guy does indeed accepts money orders. All the info you should need for that can be found on the Donations page!
 Car insurance is paid off for the rest of the year, so I will donate some of the moneyI put aside for a new guitar. I've gotten as much, if not more glee from Layo than I have my instruments, and you can't just run to the store and pick up something like Layonara.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:10 am »
amen to that brother 8 bit. Only thing thats a downer about nwn 2 is I heard a rumour it is only going to be supporting up to level 20?? any truth to that rumour do any of you know?

Ar7

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 11:14:09 am »
There will probably be an "epic expansion", same thing happened to NWN.

Dorganath

RE: Layonara, NWN2 and Beyond...
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 11:19:31 am »
NWN2 will only support up to level 20 at release time. Expansions, while likely if they follow the NWN1 example, are purely speculative at this time.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 11:37:14 am »
Eight-Bit - 4/24/2006 4:34 AM  
OneST8 - 4/24/2006 4:11 AM Yeppers! The big guy does indeed accepts money orders. All the info you should need for that can be found on the Donations page!
 Car insurance is paid off for the rest of the year, so I will donate some of the moneyI put aside for a new guitar. I've gotten as much, if not more glee from Layo than I have my instruments, and you can't just run to the store and pick up something like Layonara.

Actually, in retropsectI DID just run to the store, buy NWN, and pick up Layonara. Oh well. :D I have plenty extra this, and next week, so I'll send a money order next thursday.

Yllyrryon

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 11:44:13 am »
I'm with you guys all the way.  :)

Shadowblade225

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 02:11:13 pm »
Guess I'm probably one of the few who wouldn't object to the character wipe. Seeing NWN2 take place in the "next age" where our characters are read or sung about in taverns, made out as legends for their deeds, and the great war with Bloodstone has been over for a thousand years or more, whereby another cataclysm has taken place changing the face of the world (to accomdidate the NWN2 game features), etc., etc., etc... would be cool.  Even if the NWN2 version goes up in 1/07 that's still 9 months away.  Alot can happen to a character in that time.  It'd be a while for the expansions to come out and therefore at least lvl wise the characters would have to be adjusted.  I'd just prefer the wipe allowing you to start a fresh new character in a fresh new world even though technically it's the same world.  Course Ozymandias would be alive either way - he'd be a heck of an NPC.  And if your character is an elf - he/she may be alive as well..who knows. But whatever the team decides *shrugs* I'm fine with. I can see it the other way as well.

feniox

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 02:22:53 pm »
I'm not really against the idea of a character wipe, though I can see why some people are, considering the amount of time and love that go into getting the characters where they are, especially the level 30-ish ones.

I know I'd miss Kurgaz though, and it wouldn't feel right playing another Dwarf after him, so I'd most likely have to come up with something completely new :)

ZeroVega

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 04:57:28 pm »
Honestly, I'd prefer a wipe as well. I enjoyed seeing the Plot (though I hardly took part in it) slowly progress and become increasingly difficult as the characters gained levels. Blood came back under shady circumstances, weakened. He didn't know the power that the people of Layonara had and if he'd went all out on his assault from the beginning he may have gotten somewhere, but now he's waited too long and let the heroes get a foothold. Besides, I'd like to get back to the old days, when level 10 is an accomplishment, when everyone travels with anyone they can find, and when crafting was still a business (and necessity) and not a hobby.

Sweetness either way though. ZV-

Shadowblade225

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:41 pm »
ZeroVega - 4/24/2006 7:57 PM I'd like to get back to the old days, when level 10 is an accomplishment, when everyone travels with anyone they can find, and when crafting was still a business (and necessity) and not a hobby. Sweetness either way though. ZV-

Yep - ditto. Lvl 20's are a dime a dozen now - but we'll see what happens. Either way - I personally can't wait. I'd imagine a ton of old players would make a comeback. It'd be nice to see them again.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:58 pm »
Bah...

no one remebers Weston...

Represetitive and spokesman for all sentient surface races... yes... chosen democraticly as well... to save us all from Illithids

funny though... they just couldn't seem to get a fix on his mind...

Zelda1

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 07:01:16 pm »
itchy...feels like when your 3k from leveling and you have to log.. :D  but that's a good thing! Can't wait for NWN2!!

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:00 pm »
I guess I may be the only person not really excited about NWN2. One, I already own NWN and Expansions and have a cool world like Layonara to run on with all their Hacks and other tidbits. Two, I've heard from a friend who is actually a great NWN world builder (and I'd probably still be playing his world if he wasn't such a tool) that it wasn't going to support tile sets, so all these cool little Elven cities, interiors, and what have you, couldn't be done. Of course, that was a year ago that he read that to me (may have changed). Three, it seems we're paying for a game that's going backwards (lvl limits, no prestege class, not to mention all the improvements/haks many different people made to NWN). Four, spending more money for something that, if broken, seems people have pretty much fixed for their own worlds.

So, I'm a bit bummed.

It would be nice if people could at least bring over one of their characters to Layonara NWN2, but nothing under 10th, 12th, or whatever the creators wanted. Characters that are important to the player and whom the player has put time into and value. Especially since crafting is such a pain in the rump. *shrugs*

Ar7

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 12:54:48 am »
ZeroVega - 4/24/2006  4:57 PM

Honestly, I'd prefer a wipe as well. I enjoyed seeing the Plot (though I hardly took part in it) slowly progress and become increasingly difficult as the characters gained levels. Blood came back under shady circumstances, weakened. He didn't know the power that the people of Layonara had and if he'd went all out on his assault from the beginning he may have gotten somewhere, but now he's waited too long and let the heroes get a foothold. Besides, I'd like to get back to the old days, when level 10 is an accomplishment, when everyone travels with anyone they can find, and when crafting was still a business (and necessity) and not a hobby.

Sweetness either way though. ZV-

*chuckles* You do know that the good old times can never come back. I do know that the wipe will most likely happen, there is simply no way a new campaign can begin otherwise, since epics can not be implemented and a lot of years will pass etc etc.

Icurus, the game is not going backwards, as far as I know NWN2 will already feature all of the races and a LOT of prestige classes.

Belecthor

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 04:43:43 am »
    I´m also for a wipe, but then again I not one of thoose guys that´ve played til epic. But it seems a really groovie thing to do, clean out all n start over. What a great experience that´ll be I say..!

Faldred

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 04:51:49 am »
    Icurus - 4/25/2006  2:30 AM

I've heard from a friend who is actually a great NWN world builder (and I'd probably still be playing his world if he wasn't such a tool) that it wasn't going to support tile sets, so all these cool little Elven cities, interiors, and what have you, couldn't be done. Of course, that was a year ago that he read that to me (may have changed).

Everything I've read says that tile sets are still used indoors.  It's only outdoors that tile sets won't be used, and this is being touted as an improvement, not a drawback.  Outdoor landscapes will be "painted" rather than tiled, which should give them a much more organic look.

SuperMunch

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 05:23:13 am »
    Icurus, I feel your pain, but you're forgetting a few things...

January is 9 months away and a NWN2 version of Layonara might require more than 4 months of work (think of all the custom content, tilesets, CNR, etc.) to get it up to speed to the cool world we know.

By then, with the soul mother back, lots and lots of characters will be perm'd - especially the higher level ones, the probable reason for the Soul Mother's forced vacation in the first place (I speculate, of course).  By then Freldo and his, by then, best-buddy-in-the-world Grympint might have been perm'd and we'll be playing new characters, who knows.

As Orth pointed out, the team will still develop the world even with the world plot resolved (for better or for worse) so something new will appear to keep the world moving and when the shattering of Layonara (NWN) happens to make room for New Layonara (NWN2), if handled well, the change over wouldn't be a bad cliché.  Our characters, if of appropriate level and prestige, might even have their names in the Hall of Heroes in Pranzis (or some place else) or on places that were important to them.

Another thing, a wipe is actually good at a few aspects, look at how much housing and powerful items held by retired players.  If the characters are allowed to transition, the retired players might come back and demand their houses and all the powerful items they had which would certainly unbalance the system.  Don't forget that Layonara's balance is what makes it so fun to play - you can't solo in high (as in relative to your level) profit regions.

Nine months is a long time and I'm sure the Dev Crew will find a way to make the transition as smooth and cool as possible as they have done so far.  I guess that the world plot is coming to a conclusion because of NWN2 but also because Leanthar has a new fat wad of aces up his sleeve (if his cash holds up and permits him to have a shirt with sleeves).

I now digress and venture into the realm of pure speculation...  Bioware has never alienated their user base, I'm sure they're working VERY hard to make the NWN2 development base just as active and passionate as the NWN one.  Which makes me pretty sure we'll be informed of the New Layonara (NWN2) whenever they're allowed to talk about it.  *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

Dorganath

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 05:53:46 am »
    Let's all keep in mind a couple of things:
      1) NWN2 isnt released yet, so what it will and will not do, other than what has been explicitly confirmed by Obsidian, is at this point speculative and subject to change. Exterior-wise, we should be able to make very rich exterior areas that eclipse what we've done with the NWN1 engine. Interior-wise, we'll have to wait and see what's available, but I'm sure the limitations will not be overly severe at release, and as the overall community creates additional interior tilesets, geography features, etc., I'm certain Layonara will take advantage of these things as well.
      2) If and when Layonara goes to NWN2, Layonara will in many ways be a different world. Oh the major geography will be the same, but things have a habit of changing after a major war. It isn't like our characters will go to sleep one night, then wake up the next morning in a new, visually stunning environment. There'll be a new campaign...new problems, new challenges, etc. I don't think that NWN2 should be looked at as a step backward. Despite what it may/may not support out-of-the-box, NWN2 also represents some very appealing possibilities, ones which overall will outweigh the few short-comings that the game may have at launch.
      It's important also to clarify that whatever decision we make regarding character wipes will be directly related to how we design the setting, what kinds of systems we can have in place, and probably most importantly, what the starting (game) year will be. Whatever your personal feelings about NWN2 or character wipes or whatever may be, understand that the GM and development teams have the best interests of the community in sight, and we will ultimately act in the way that makes the most sense for Layonara and the community as a whole. Once we actually have the game in-hand and we begin to work with it, we'll be able to know more, and I'm certain we'll keep the community up-to-date, as appropriate.  
      Having said all that, I'm personnaly very pleased and encouraged by the show of enthusiasm here in this thread, and I am very excited about all of the possibilities that are ahead of us.

anything