The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Levels For Servers?  (Read 238 times)

Drizzlin

Levels For Servers?
« on: April 22, 2007, 12:34:20 am »
I know this post here by L may seem very clear to people, and it was to me.

http://www.layonara.com/layonara-server-rules/112440-level-request-servers.html

However someone starting talking with me and in their opinion, 17+ means level 18 or higher. I disagreed and felt that 7+ and 17+ mean just that, levels 7 and higher, or levels 17 and higher.

Now it is not a big deal, but I started thinking about the different cultures and people are from different areas. After all L is from Canada!!! It got me thinking about the differences between countries and a possible missunderstanding. After all America is the only country that can't get with the metric program.

So I guess I am asking if in Canada, since L wrote this, is 7+/17+ the same as it is here in the US? hehe

Edit: Ok I just heard L lives in California, but I am sure he knows someone from Canada. =)

hawklen

Re: Levels For Servers?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:44:59 am »
Nice post, actually, Im not sure if its the states or wherever he lives.

I take it to me 7 or higher, and 17 or higher.

Drizzlin

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 12:47:36 am »
Quote from: hawklen
Nice post, actually, Im not sure if its the states or wherever he lives.

I take it to me 7 or higher, and 17 or higher.

Yes. You see +17 would mean higher than 17. 17+ however includes the number 17 and all numbers above. =P

I"m not trying to be picky, but this conversation really happened!

Acacea

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 01:52:11 am »
Heh, I've always assumed that "X+" included "X" as well, otherwise all of those things requiring one to be "18+" or "21+" actually requires one to be 19 and 22 ;)

I hope that either way there will be no witch hunts coming from it, though... I can just see the different factions brewing, searching with pitchforks. "HE IS LEVEL SEVEN! HE DOES NOT BELONG!" "The holy doctrine clearly states that one may be anything from seven up, including seven!" "NAY! CLEARLY THE LINE STARTS AT EIGHT! BURN HIM!"

Ahem. I just got up from a nap awhile ago. Excuse me.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 04:31:18 am »
<3 Acacea. *Giggle.*

I always thought that Central was 8+, while East was 17+... But if the post says "x+" then it's any real number n where n is >= x.

Weeblie

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:41:55 am »
Central is 8+ which is written in that post.

These are the requirements:

West: none
Central: 8+
East: 17+ (the Great Library being an exception)
Planes: 17+ (usually)

With "X+" as level requirement, X is also included. In other words, a level 17 is fine on east.

After a policy change due to people pushing the lines, these requirements are  no longer guidelines but instead rules. A level 16 on East will be asked to go back to Central/West!

NOTE: These requirements are NOT in affect on DM quests.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 04:49:32 am »
These requirements are NOT in affect on DM quests.

discrimination!

Drizzlin

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 09:12:06 am »
Quote from: Acacea
Heh, I've always assumed that "X+" included "X" as well, otherwise all of those things requiring one to be "18+" or "21+" actually requires one to be 19 and 22 ;)

I hope that either way there will be no witch hunts coming from it, though... I can just see the different factions brewing, searching with pitchforks. "HE IS LEVEL SEVEN! HE DOES NOT BELONG!" "The holy doctrine clearly states that one may be anything from seven up, including seven!" "NAY! CLEARLY THE LINE STARTS AT EIGHT! BURN HIM!"

Ahem. I just got up from a nap awhile ago. Excuse me.

No, none at all from my side. To me this is an honest question. Keep in mind I am a psychiatrist in training, with a BS in organic/biochemisty. I tend to over analize things. The person and I didn't argue, it just made me think afterwards. I always try to give people the benifit of the doubt and understand where they could be coming from. After they logged out, it got me thinking about the differences in culture. In america, to sit with your leg crossed, showing the bottom of your foot is common. In other cultures it is vulgar. Things like that made me go hmmmm.

As far as a "witch" hunt, if anything I would be the one they were after! After all I went to east at 17, becuase I thought 17+ meant 17 and everything higher. You know when you go to a rated R movie in the US, it says 18 and older, which is another way of saying 18+.

So no witch hunters here from me, nor is this meant as a "prove" someone wrong thread by me=P.

Drizzlin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 09:15:36 am »
Quote from: Weeblie
Central is 8+ which is written in that post.

These are the requirements:

West: none
Central: 8+
East: 17+ (the Great Library being an exception)
Planes: 17+ (usually)

With "X+" as level requirement, X is also included. In other words, a level 17 is fine on east.

After a policy change due to people pushing the lines, these requirements are  no longer guidelines but instead rules. A level 16 on East will be asked to go back to Central/West!

NOTE: These requirements are NOT in affect on DM quests.

While this is not a hard fast rule we do ask that you stick to it pretty tightly. GM Quests and GM Events are exempt from this rule as a GM is there the entire time and their job is to ensure it is fair and right for a party to be there. So if you are on one of these quests and a GM states to go to X server or that it starts on X server and you do not meet these requirements it is still okay to go there.
We request that you follow these simple level requirements for the servers:
West = Level 1 - Level 7+ Central = Level 8 - Level 16+ East = Level 17+ Planes = Level 17+ (but this can change depending on where you enter the planes)
This is not a request to be mean, unfair, or unjust. It is a request because we feel it is the right thing to do and stays closer to the spirit of the server.
By "not a hard fast rule" I mean that we will not be real tough on the individual(s) the first time they abuse the rule. But after that we are likely to come down pretty hard as it is the players choice (an active choice that is made by the player) to break this rule.
Thank you for your understanding.

You know what I see it now. You see that is why people should ask questions. The post got converted with the new forums and is messy. So after futher review, I was ok to be 17 on east, but a level 7 amiga on central could have received the smack down.

This part of that thread could use a clean up to look like.

We request that you follow these simple level requirements for the servers:
West = Level 1 -Level 7+
Central = Level 8 -Level 16+
East = Level 17+
Planes = Level 17+ (but this can change depending on where you enter the planes)

I know it is a minor detail, but at a fast glance it got me =P

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 12:11:49 pm »
Clarification is always good. :)