The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Linux, Ubuntu, and Gnome, Oh My!  (Read 428 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Linux, Ubuntu, and Gnome, Oh My!
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:07 am »
Well... I tried posting this thread a while earlier, but the session died on me (thanks, Windows), so...

A very long, inconvenient story short, I landed myself with a new motherboard and a need for a new OS. Not having ANY copies of Windows to hand (and not wanting to bother pirating one), I decided I'd switch to Ubuntu.

Well, that's done. Hey, I even managed to figure out how to get my lovely Tahoma font back! As lovely as Ubuntu may be, I don't like the way Mac looks... And they smack of the same design.

However, the window-dressing is of little import, all in all - it's function that matters foremost, not form.

Buuuut... Well, the reason I didn't get onto the Linux-wagon years ago was lack of knowledge and expenditure of the effort to obtain that knowledge. On a whim, I hopped onto the wagon just now... But without the foreknowledge that tells me just where I can grab onto to not be thrown to my death.

I have a whole heaping pile of files, programs, and other such nonsense on secondary drives, formatted and put together in Windows... That I'd hoped I could take with me. The programs, I'm sure, will take some doing... The files? I don't even know where to start.

I'm lost in my own OS, without a clue how to make NWN go. I know it goes on Ubuntu - I've heard as much from the lovely folk here. However, I don't have any idea how to make that work for me.

Is there anyone who can shine a light and lead me from this darkness I call the Learning Curve?

The following users thanked this post: Chazzler

Chazzler

Re: Linux, Ubuntu, and Gnome, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:44 am »
I can help you out with your new OS mate :) Contact me via Layo's IRC and we gan have a go :)

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Linux, Ubuntu, and Gnome, Oh My!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
I haven't tried to get NWN running on my ubuntu box, but for most other things, such as connecting to a windows network, I can give basic aid. And you know how to leave me a message, Stephen.