The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Looking for filter for children  (Read 546 times)

Serissa

Looking for filter for children
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:22:53 am »
Quite some time ago, there was a discussion of a good content filter for a child's computer.  I can't find it.  Help, please?

Lareth

Re: Looking for filter for children
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:50 am »
Some of my friends who have older kids swear by netnanny if that helps (think that you have to pay for it though).

vgn

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:45 am »
A general comment on content filters....

Anyone with children browsing the Internet on a computer should make sure they are speaking to them about what is and is not acceptable to do or look at. Much like the talks you should have with them about drugs and other potentially harmful things.

So, a content filter is really just the way parents can say with actions that they really mean it. It should not though be a substitute for the conversations and understanding of what should and should not happen.

The reason is, all of the content filters fail. They either block too little or they block too much. If the child is smart, and all parents wish their child to be very bright, then a filter will not stop them from seeing something they want to. That being said, as was mentioned in the last post, I have heard better things about NetNanny than some other ones.

For very young kids, there is another alternative as well. Instead of opening up the Internet to them filtered or unfiltered, you instead select exactly what they can see. Browsers can be set in high security modes where they will only open a predefined list of sites. All others are blocked. So you can hand pick which sites to allow and set up bookmarks for the kid.

merlin34baseball

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:24:29 am »
The one we discussed before was called Glubble for Firefox. It takes a bit getting used to but the children have to actually put in a request to the Admin (you) to view pages. So the longer they use it the greater their list becomes. It also has a bunch of prescreened websites as well so the children start out with some content. Ive been using it for about six months. It has a google feature as well, but if you google naughty words the search comes back blank.

Hope that helps,
Merlin34

Eight-Bit

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:43:38 pm »
Kids are way too smart for content filters.

Link092

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »
well, the school I go to has content filters that block everything ie: work that we need to download, or orientation videos are blocked. but that thing for FireFox sounds like it works awesome... to bad my school doesn't know what FireFox is...

PS: some of those filters "are" easy to get by. :)