The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lower levels traveling with higher... do it!  (Read 474 times)

Pen N Popper

Lower levels traveling with higher... do it!
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:19 pm »
My thanks to 'mixafix' for running point on a brief trip to Krashin. The xp for Honeybee was modest, but significant to a 6th level PC. We did not go deep into the caverns, but instead collected a few gems of that were ICly important to her and then retreated back to Mistone.

On several other occasions, Honeybee has accompanied much higher level PCs on their ho-hum gathering of CNR ingredients; she usually averages 1xp on these trips per kill. Significant not for the xp but instead for the "rp currency."

Thankfully she's a cleric of Prunilla where, "Their objective is not truly to cleave through hordes of evildoers, but  instead to annoy and distract until the stronger can deal with the  threats." Thank goodness (and pie!) for the stronger!

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin, Chazzler, Serissa, Lance Stargazer, davidhoff, willhoff, Pandapuff7

Chazzler

Re: Lower levels traveling with higher... do it!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »
I just remembered thsi 90's band called Honey-B & T-Bone

Eegxeta

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:20 pm »
My in experiences on traveling with higher levels I have always gotten little to no exp but tons of gold.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »
Quote from: Eegxeta
My in experiences on traveling with higher levels I have always gotten little to no exp but tons of gold.

Just for your, and everyone else's, reference, the "little to no XP" is intentional and directly related to the Challenge Rating (CR) of the monsters that are encountered vs. the level of one's own character.  If a monster's CR is too high or too low compared to your character, the XP one receives is much lower than if the monster is closer in CR to a character's level.

So for example, if a low-level character were to travel through high-level areas with high level characters, the XP benefit to the lower-level character would be lesser than if the same group of characters traveled through low-level areas. In this case, the low-level character would get XP commensurate with his/her level and the high-level characters would gain very little by comparison. The "sweet spot" for gaining XP from monsters is a few levels on either side of a character's own level.  Beyond that, the amount of XP gained per kill begins to decline.

This is done by design.