The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: MAJOR QUESTION!!!!  (Read 957 times)

for sale or trade...
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 02:38:00 am »

cptoad

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
RE: MAJOR QUESTION!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 11:45:00 am »
well if i may... forget about leveling.. i know that it is the goal of all players to gain more powers and become better and stronger, but thats not really the point here at layo.

get involved, do the quests, make friends. think of something no other player has done and go about doing it, in my case i wanted a shop to sell items i made.. i started in my house and after a few months i was able to build one. also i am incharge of a guild.. think of one, convince others to join and make it happen, or find one to join.

make a mark in the world, one does not need to have massive powers to change the world around them. meet people, have a char that people want to get involved with. the possiblitys are endless here.  the levels will come in time

have fun

Gloin

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2005, 10:05:00 am »
cptoad - 6/10/2005  11:45 AM

well if i may... forget about leveling.. i know that it is the goal of all players to gain more powers and become better and stronger, but thats not really the point here at layo.

get involved, do the quests, make friends. think of something no other player has done and go about doing it, in my case i wanted a shop to sell items i made.. i started in my house and after a few months i was able to build one. also i am incharge of a guild.. think of one, convince others to join and make it happen, or find one to join.

make a mark in the world, one does not need to have massive powers to change the world around them. meet people, have a char that people want to get involved with. the possiblitys are endless here.  the levels will come in time

have fun

Gloin

that is a great idea... as soon as i can do something other than die repeatedly.... u can't even get into the house i rent, where everything i own, is... because the key doesn't work... and what do i get from the helpful dm?  sorry... soemtimes they don't woek... get the owner to make you a new one.... great....

i cant craft a whole hell of a lot, and that which i can is pretty much useless to most everyone, and the only places to get resources for most of the stuff people WOULD buy, i can't reach.  further, i can't stay on for 5 hours to find a quest that i can go on.....

let's add to that the fact that i GOT a quest, and between the time that i GOT the quest, and was able to finish it, the level necessary for the quest jumped 3 levels over me.....  so now i have a head for a quest that i can't use and a quest that i will have to wait about 4-5 months (based on current projections) to complete....

i appreciate your advice and comments, but they do not apply....
the rule of the server seems to be one step forward, 3 steps back.....
ymmv

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2005, 10:42:00 am »
I keep wondering if you think somehow that you are being singled out.  Don't you understand that every player in this world plays under the same rules and quirks and bugs in this extraordinary world.  There are many other spell casters in the world who have managed to get high enough level in experience and crafting to survive and make things that people need.  It takes time and you have to be careful and develop tactics.  Your tactics don't seem to be working very well.  Casters are support people until they are pretty high level.  They need others to go with them to protect them.  Try grouping up with others.  You seem to be using invisibility like a be all end all but it isn't and you know that but you keep doing it and complaining like its someone elses fault.  On the CNR side do you think the system is different for you.  Should the team change the rules for you.  Others have scratched and clawed their way up the CNR ladder.  It takes time.  Otherwise everyone could make everything and then and it wouldn't be any value in being the best.  Keep tyring.  Maybe you should try a fighter character if you like running around independently and not dying so much although  they die too they are not so dependent on others at low level.  Just some observations.

Leanthar

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2005, 12:45:00 pm »
Guest, you do not seem happy here. We do our best, but you are also not logged in to the forums so we can't really try to help you with your character.  I guarantee you that if you ask nicely instead of posting like you are (in two seperate threads now as guest) you will get better assitance.  Layonara is not for everybody, if you feel you can get better service elsewhere or if you think you will have fun playing elsewhere then by all means go for it.  Layonara is free, just like all of those other servers out there...we are not tying you down and keeping you here.
  We can only do our best...clearly that is not good enough for you.
  **EDIT-UPDATE** I figured out who you were with a little help from a GM.
  Clearly you are not happy here and it is very evident if we follow these links...
  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14096&posts=2  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13311&posts=7  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13519&posts=12  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13429&posts=22

Dorganath

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
Guest - 6/12/2005  12:05 PM
that is a great idea... as soon as i can do something other than die repeatedly.... u can't even get into the house i rent, where everything i own, is... because the key doesn't work... and what do i get from the helpful dm?  sorry... soemtimes they don't woek... get the owner to make you a new one.... great....

i cant craft a whole hell of a lot, and that which i can is pretty much useless to most everyone, and the only places to get resources for most of the stuff people WOULD buy, i can't reach.  further, i can't stay on for 5 hours to find a quest that i can go on.....

let's add to that the fact that i GOT a quest, and between the time that i GOT the quest, and was able to finish it, the level necessary for the quest jumped 3 levels over me.....  so now i have a head for a quest that i can't use and a quest that i will have to wait about 4-5 months (based on current projections) to complete....

ymmv

A couple things...

The key issue is truly one you have to speak with the house owner about.  A GM shouldn't just be letting people into houses they don't own on claims that they have a key that doesn't work.  They technically can, but it's not a smart thing to do.  Duplicate keys must be made from the original.  Duplicates made from duplicates will not work.

Crafting...it takes a LONG time to get to the point where you make things that people want to buy.  Trust me, I feel your pain regarding not being able to get certain resources.  That's what parties are for, or at the very least, hire someone out.  Until then, there are a lot of things you can make as a crafter that only involves the resources you can get on Mistone, and some of them are actually worth something.

Garent's quest....a few months ago, the level requirements were changed on the quest because the team realized that...yeah...it's really, really hard....or can be if not done very carefully.  Either way, for players below 10th level, even a well-formed party, the quest was more like a death trap for "young" adventurers.  This change was posted at some point.  

Lastly, for the one step forward, three steps back....I guess I have no comment here, other than there are ways to accomplish what you want to accomplish.  But for some, due to real-life conflicts and such, progress will be slower, and it will seem frustrating to watch people pass you up in the process.  If it's something you want to stick with, then please do.  

The world wasn't really meant to solo, though....for many different reasons.  And the world is constantly changing.  What was true one day may not be true the next, as events, the actions of players and changes in the plot take place.  Like real life, the only constant is change. :)

ZeroVega

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
  Player, I feel for you in some aspects. It was very hard for my wizard when I first started playing, especially back when drow were hated like they should be. So I'll lay things out for you as simply as I can, and I hope this ends your questions for a while.
    First, on invisibility. Invisibility makes you unseen to PCs and NPCs (hostile or friendly) as long as they do not have See Invisibility or True Seeing cast on them. The bug in Invisibility is that if an ogre/giant/any creature that is hostile, notices you, and comes to attack you, or if the AI even sees you're there, sometimes when you cast invisibility to get away they will keep coming because the AI does not get the message (rough translation) "hey this guys just cast invis, we shouldn't be attacking."
    I've died a total of 12 times to this bug, 11 of those times were before the new death system and I probably lost near 150'000 experiance. Also it is a Bioware Bug. The creators of this game have the bug, and there is nothing anyone on Layonara can do to fix it. It works 80-90% of the time, but it's not a perfect system/spell so you just need to get used to the flaws.
    As for the key... I understand it as. Someone you know bought a house, and gave you an extra key. If that is the case and the key they gave you is not working, there is really nothing a GM can do about that.
    When a player buys a house he gets a key that is encripted to his character, it will only work with him. When he copies the key he can give the copy to anyone he wants. However sometimes the copied keys don't work and to get a new one only the person that has the original key can make it for you.
    Also, as I understand it. Phase spiders kinda well, phase shift. So if they're tracking you (ie: running after you) they can sometimes just jump straight to you. This is due to a sort of "plane shifting?" that allows them to cut you off and attack.
    As a few last notes. A good thing to do in order to try and get into more parties would be posting the times that you will be able to play on the forum and look to see who responds. Perhaps set up a time to meet with your characters in game and adventure.
    Also the reason people continue to think you're upset/angry is because of the excessive amount of exclamation marks (!!!!!s) and question marks you use (?????s). Question marks are fine. ;) Just don't use more than one on the end of a sentence or people will take it as an exclamation too. Also I suggest never using !!!!!s, they simply give the wrong impression. (I'd also advise that you capitolize the correct words in your writting)
  Hope that helps. ZV-

steverimmer

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
ZeroVega - 6/12/2005 10:15 PM   First, on invisibility. Invisibility makes you unseen to PCs and NPCs (hostile or friendly) as long as they do not have See Invisibility or True Seeing cast on them. The bug in Invisibility is that if an ogre/giant/any creature that is hostile, notices you, and comes to attack you, or if the AI even sees you're there, sometimes when you cast invisibility to get away they will keep coming because the AI does not get the message (rough translation) "hey this guys just cast invis, we shouldn't be attacking."     I've died a total of 12 times to this bug, 11 of those times were before the new death system and I probably lost near 150'000 experiance. Also it is a Bioware Bug. The creators of this game have the bug, and there is nothing anyone on Layonara can do to fix it. It works 80-90% of the time, but it's not a perfect system/spell so you just need to get used to the flaws.

Just to let you know what I do to combat this bug...its not perfect but it has meant that Bil has never died due to it.  If I'm in a situation were I feel I'm going to cast invisiblity to escape I always cast either extended haste or extended expiditous retreat first.  This mean I can always leg it if the spell fails due to the bug.  In fact I have extended ER hotlinked to my F12 key permantly so in an emergancy I can just punch it without looking.

freemen2

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2005, 10:52:00 pm »
Maybe you could log in so we know who you are, just a though ;)
Me and my partners just bought a house, hopefully if we're accepted it'll become our temporary guild house and shop.  We got it a week ago and tried twice to have copies made fer everyone and still haven't made working copies fer all but me, think it as to do with actually being present while the key is made but really don't know.  In the mean time we haven't all really been able to use the house as we have different timezones.  Dung happens *shrugs*
I'm 14th level one of my partners, 15th and if we go against spiders we'll most likelly die, poison is a pain lol ;)
I don't even have invisibility nor can I cast speed, I don't really feel sorry for you there :p
When I started crafting it took me a long time before I could make anything that I could sell for hard gold, actually the first 4k I made was fer a box of eggs that nearly drove me insane and gives me an itch to shoot the bloody birds everytime I see them and am a ranger.  I pay 1k fer a box of silk others pay for other things, talk to people, ask around put a post in the crafting section where people are looking fer or selling things, ye'll get gold faster then you think ;)

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 05:27:00 am »
Dorganath - 6/12/2005  1:02 PM

Guest - 6/12/2005  12:05 PM

ymmv

A couple things...

The key issue is truly one you have to speak with the house owner about.  A GM shouldn't just be letting people into houses they don't own on claims that they have a key that doesn't work.  They technically can, but it's not a smart thing to do.  Duplicate keys must be made from the original.  Duplicates made from duplicates will not work.

Crafting...it takes a LONG time to get to the point where you make things that people want to buy.  Trust me, I feel your pain regarding not being able to get certain resources.  That's what parties are for, or at the very least, hire someone out.  Until then, there are a lot of things you can make as a crafter that only involves the resources you can get on Mistone, and some of them are actually worth something.

Garent's quest....a few months ago, the level requirements were changed on the quest because the team realized that...yeah...it's really, really hard....or can be if not done very carefully.  Either way, for players below 10th level, even a well-formed party, the quest was more like a death trap for "young" adventurers.  This change was posted at some point.  

Lastly, for the one step forward, three steps back....I guess I have no comment here, other than there are ways to accomplish what you want to accomplish.  But for some, due to real-life conflicts and such, progress will be slower, and it will seem frustrating to watch people pass you up in the process.  If it's something you want to stick with, then please do.  

The world wasn't really meant to solo, though....for many different reasons.  And the world is constantly changing.  What was true one day may not be true the next, as events, the actions of players and changes in the plot take place.  Like real life, the only constant is change. :)

THANKS....   i appreciate your input and views.... my post was not so much meant as a complaint or whining (as so many have taken everything i post) but more a point of comiseration.  i appreciate that your reply was in that spirit.

i know that the quest is a deathtrap.  and it was stated elsewhere that i got it with a group of level 10s hehheh  no... i got it alone... i went to as many NPCs as i was able to, to find quests in order to learn the place.  this was suggested in the entrance and by many friends.  unfortunately, i was something like a level 4 or 5 when i got it... by the time i could get there, i was a level 7....  now i'm an 8.... however, i still have the head... wonder if i should hold on to it... hehheh...  

i perfectly understand the bit about the keys.  of course it isn't a good idea to simply take someone's word or muck around in another person's house... unfortunately, ALL my crafting stuff was in there... hehheh... so it's kind of a set back.  the guy i rent from has had to be off line a lot, so.. heh.. it's twiddle my thumbs and start over, collecting stuff....

yes... i have done MUCH crafting.  level 9 food, 2 or 3 gem, 5 or 6 tailoring, 4 or 5 alchemy... others....   but that gets thin, after a while.  and, bearing in mind that a mage usually isn't known for great strength (i can carry 86 lbs, and 50 of that is taken up with reagents, and requirements), so, collecting crafting materials is LONG and TEDIOUS repetions, with many castings of bulls....   this is NOT a complaint  of late, i have learned how to pick off the lower level ogres in greypeaks from safety, however, the bodies dissapear before i can safely get to them to get the drops.. still... it's a living....

anyway.... as i stated in my other thread "observations", it seems that few understand my intent and think that i'm complaining and that i don't like the place.  this is NOT true.  if i didn't like the place i wouldn't be here.  if i didn't care about it, i wouldn't even bother to post at all.  in any event, the noise stops now.  i do appreciate the work and care that has gone into this place.  i will deal with my situations and appologize for any misunderstandings you may have garnered from my interaction on the forums.

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 05:36:00 am »
okay...
final post here... then this thread is dead.

i appreciate the replies i have gotten here, subsequent to mylast post.  they are more accepting and in the spirit that i meant mine to be....

all good suggestions, most of which i have already known and taken to heart.

for all of you who keep reminding me that it is a bioware bug  i KNOW!!! hehhehehheheheh  i really truely do... long before i came to layonara.  i know there isn't much they can do about it.  (guess we will just have to wait for NWN2 and hope the fix that!)

anyway... thanks for these "more understanding" and kinder replies.  as i said earlier and in the other thread.  the noise stops now.  thanks..

maybe some of your 10-15levels will take pitty on a minor mage of little note and help me get that damned oil!!! hehhhehhehhehhehheh

see you in or around hlint..

anything