The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: My car's been stolen.  (Read 605 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

My car's been stolen.
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:18 am »
So, life is really ironic. Like, really really.

My car's been having a lot of trouble, lately; I can't tell you what any of it is, but that's because I know way less about cars than I know about the shamanistic rituals of Grandish orcs (which is a bit scary). However, it would barely run, stalled out any time it wanted, vibrated more than I can describe, mis- and back-fired constantly, the air filter cover came off repeatedly, it wouldn't accelerate, wouldn't even increase in RPMs when you put your foot down...

The list goes on.

However, to make matters worse, we owe a fair bit of money on this car, in past-due payments. Our loan-people have been after us for a while, and we briefly joked about having the car stolen. After all, then we wouldn't be responsible for the loan, right? Well...

Fast forward a bit.

We've spoken with J.D. Byrider, who promises us several thousand dollars in trade-in value for the car (enough to nearly axe that loan from the other guys), I'm planning to continue job-hunting today, and my girlfriend has an interview with Taco Bell to be hired on as a manager (to start).

We wake up, she hops in the shower, yells at me to clean out the car, and I head outside.

What do I find?

No car.

Yeah. Apparently (and this is pure speculation at this point, my only evidence is a missing set of spare keys and a slightly-open back door) my roommate or her boyfriend forgot to lock the back door after their last smoke-break, and someone came in, found a set of spare keys, and stole the car.

JUST when we needed it.

I find the situation bleakly hilarious.

The following users thanked this post: Filatus

Chazzler

Re: My car's been stolen.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:57:00 am »
I truly, truly hope you had a theft-insurance :o

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:31 am »
Oh, we did.

BUT I DON'T CARE ABOUT INSURANCE. *Sigh.*

I don't even care about the car itself, to be honest. Just the trade-in value.

And the whole Sara-getting-to-her-interview thing.

s0ulz

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:20:14 am »
Man, life has really been beating you down recently. The good thing is things can only go so badly, eventually things will cheer up.

Personally I think the worst part about having your car stolen, is the change of pace that follows. You really get used to owning a car.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:28:28 am »
Hear here. Want to know what else they stole?

The toaster oven. My $20 toaster oven that we cooked with exclusively before we had gas.

ALL THE BOOZE. The beer we've been trying to get rid of, the hard lemonade and imitations that we were saving for parties, the forty-dollar bottle of tequila we JUST BOUGHT, the spiced rum that makes everyone sick...

And they left the margarita mix.

I mean, it's kinda funny, really. When life wants to get me down, it sure goes about it the right way to make me not go on a killing spree.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:03:25 am »
And the box of DVDs.

Man, Life sucks sometimes.

Anyway, I'm here if you need anything.

LordCove

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 10:05:45 am »
A Greek walks into a bar.
The Barman smiles and says " Hi there. Hows things?"
The Greek man sighs and says....
" Well.... its pretty bad. I lost my job, my car got stolen, my wife left me and took the kids, I've been insulted for wearing pink shirts, my house got repossessed and I've had to sell my grandfathers crocodile skin, diamond studded shoes....."
The Greek then smiles, ordering a beer....

" But... things could be worse. At least I woke up this morning."

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:39:45 am »
Steve, you suck at funny. <3

Thanks, though. :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 11:38:01 am »
*hugs Stephen*  When should I bring back the car?  j/k

Honora

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:01:59 pm »
Errr...Stephan...$40 for a bottle of booze but late on car payments?

O.o

Falonthas

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 12:28:07 pm »
40 dollar for tequilla i hope it was patron and not a knock off

Xirion

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:05:56 pm »
Quote from: Honora
Errr...Stephan...$40 for a bottle of booze but late on car payments?

O.o

You have to prioritize, haven't you? ;)

LordCove

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 05:54:56 pm »
Quote from: Xirion
You have to prioritize, haven't you? ;)

I agree. What's life without luxuries?

Car aint one of them.

Beer and mates , having a laugh and your girl smiling at you. Priceless.

Filatus

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 05:58:57 pm »
That's tough luck Stephen. They even didn't have the decency to leave the booze. Good to hear you're taking this so well though and I hope things come round for you.

lonnarin

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »
It's strange that they knew where both your car keys and booze were held, and took something like a toaster oven instead of a TV or computer.  It sounds like the thief has been to your home before...

Grid Blader

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:31:28 pm »
Ahh man sorry about the car.  That is just bad.  I hope they never find it.  *Looks around shift eyed*  Maybe it will burn, after all that is how we do it here Cal.

Polak76

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 06:34:10 pm »
Hey!
You sure Xzibit didn't pimp it?
Maybe its been overhauled by chip foose and the crew.

You never know, it might come back as a low-ridin, scooped, skirted and spoilered, fire breathing, colour shifting, flared micky T rolling, base bumpin, chrome jumping, LCD thumpin bad-boy car from hell!!

OR

It's simply gone.

Cheers,
Polak76

Mooneyes

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 06:47:34 pm »
*looks up at Polak's hypothesis*

I hate those kinds of cars.  You can always tell when one is within a mile of your car because you can hear their stereo bass.  And how in the world do they get over curbs and speed bumps? Always wanted to ask that.  And don't you get butt burn from riding to close to the ground going 60-80mph? :)

Hope you do get it back.. Hey if it gets you from point A to B it's okay:)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 07:20:09 pm »
I didn't buy the booze; I'm just upset that it's money - not wasted by me or mine, but used in a way that doesn't involve me. (I honestly don't like the taste of alcohol terribly much.)

As to getting it back... That'd be nice, as we'd get the trade-in value for J.D. Byrider, but it doesn't matter all that much at this point, one way or another, as we'll be getting the same dollar figure from the insurance company if it doesn't turn up in twenty days.

So this is just a much-loathed delay in our getting a new (at least new to us) car.

In the mean time, we apparently get a loaner, which we pay for up-front, and will supposedly be reimbursed for. *Sigh.*

As to being in my home before? Unlikely; they just took things that were easy to take. TVs and thing even bigger - like my monitor - are noisy to make off with, according to the officer who's been handling the case.

Apparently it's part of an ongoing string of burglaries (his word, not mine) in the area.

Aaaand that was just a gunshot, and my subsequent heads-up to the 911 operator. (Well, technically I wrote the entirety of the post after the call, but shushie.)

I'm thinking of moving. At least to an upstairs apartment.

anything