The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: New Forum Tips (with screenshots!)  (Read 874 times)

RollinsCat

New Forum Tips (with screenshots!)
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »
I've been playing around and decided to put up some helpful stuff.  Here we go:Server Status Page is in dropdown under "On NeverWinter Nights": To adjust how you want to view posts in the forums (last first or first last), look down at the bottom left of any forum under "Comment viewing options".  If the forums are loading slowly or some things won't load at all, I found that adjusting the number of posts shown to ten (thanks Serissa!) helps.  Your settings will be saved for the entire Layo forums here so you don't need to redo this on every forum. You may have noticed your messages are in one giant inbox.  To apply tags for sorting, first select the messages  you want to tag by clicking the box to the left; then type the tag name in the box to the left of the "Apply Tag" button and click the Apply Tag button.  In this example I am tagging a pm from Elly.  Edit:  It appears that the tag function is page by page, meaning you can't go through all eight (say) pages of your pms and tag them all at once - you have to tag for each page.Your messages will still all show, but to filter by a tag, click the "Filter messages" dropdown (above the "Delete" button) and select the tag/filter you wish to see: Orth says there are no limits on pms in your inbox, so cool for that, no more "inbox is full" messages.  I'll post more as I find them, anyone else got a helpful hint for making these new forums as easy as the old ones? 

The following users thanked this post: orth, miltonyorkcastle, cbnicholson, Anamnesis, Hellblazer

Aphel

I have no idea where to
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »

I have no idea where to access this page more quickly yet (I am sure there's a link somewhere), however, it's quite useful: http://layonara.com/node/add

It provides an overview over the various  content an user can create.

RollinsCat

Next lesson: How to set up an
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:41 pm »

Next lesson: How to set up an event!  Apologies to Lana and Daniel whose wedding may or may not be on the day I picked as an example.  Note that event creation has two parts, creating the notification and creating your invitation list.  Invitations are not required to get the event posted and visible.

Step One:  Open the Event Calendar, in the "Community" dropdown.  

When the calendar is open you'll see a gold "Add+" (in the above screen, it's right under the words "Event Calendar"); click this to start your event.  You will get a very long set of parameters, only some of which I'll show here.  Name your event and select your date and time; note the nifty instant calendar (below).  NOTE: The new forum calendar is set as a built-in World Clock!  So long as you have your timezone correct, it will automatically convert times to your zone.  To make sure your account has the correct time zone, click "My Account" in the upper right of the forums or web pages, click the Edit tab, and scroll down to Locale Settings, and set yours accordingly.  Voila.  You no longer have to squint at GMT/EST etc. and do math in your head.  Say it all together now: THANK ORTH!

Skim the options, if it's a player event don't add any gm names (I didn't screenshot this option but it's there for gms).  Put your text or image into the Body field, choose your level range, max attendance (max is sixty-four btw, hardcoded) and your rating, use the Preview button on the lower left (you do preview, don't you?  You should) and then click the Save button.  Event is up!  

If all you want is exposure, you're finished.  If you also want to know who's coming, then: Step Two.  Navigate to the calendar, open your event, and click on "Full Details" at the bottom.

You will see several tabs, select "Invitations" and click on "Create invitation"

Name your invitation, attach pics or add body text, click "Save invitation" and now people can sign up and you can track attendance.  It's easy! So let's get some player events up!

RollinsCat

New item: Upcoming events are
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:37:56 pm »

New item: Upcoming events are now listed at the bottom of the forum with links to event calendar, just like on the old forums!  Go, look, what are you waiting for?  Sign up for something!

Anamnesis

Can you include a turtorial
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »

Can you include a turtorial on how to accept an invitation or mark yourself as attending an event?

Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae

Aphel

To accept an invititation, go
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:00 pm »

To accept an invititation, go to the event page:

Scroll down to the bottom

Click on "view invitation", and you should come to this screen:

Click on the "signup to invitation" header. This  should lead you to a screen where you have to confirm signing up:

And now you should be able to adjust your attendance:

Hope that helped. There should be another way to get an invitation, I just got it over clicking at the event in the calendar which makes it more complicated because you have to get the invitation first by yourself.

Thanks to the Gray Wolf for providing an event I could use as an example, see you there if you're there.

RollinsCat

Creating a Gallery or Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »

Creating a Gallery or Gallery Image Part I

Note:  There doesn't appear to be a quick link to this yet, but you can access the required pages using the node link Aphel posted.   This has links and instructions on how to create a variety of content, so take a look.  We'll be starting a Gallery today and posting a picture into it.

Click on the node link, then click on "Gallery":

Name, put in text as desired under Description, decide if you want it public or only visible to an group you belong to (in my example I could chose to make it visible to only the Angels Guild), and click Preview - you are clicking Preview, yes?  Spellcheck! - then click save.

You'll see the following once the gallery has been created (more after this post):

RollinsCat

Creating a Gallery and Adding
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »

Creating a Gallery and Adding photos, Part II:

Click on "Add files" down on the lower left, navigate to your file (I uploaded "Angels Icon II"), and open it.

The file will be visible in the window but you are not done, young padawan.  You must click "Start upload" button or it shall vanish and you will say mean and hurtful things to your poor computing system which really, never does anything but try to please you.

From there you have a variety of options; sort, manage, upload.  To view your image, use the “Community” dropdown across the top of any page and navigate to “Image Galleries”.  Note that at this time there does not seem to be a sort or search function although I have faith that it’s coming soon.

Aphel

Character DevelopmentOnce
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:01:59 pm »

Character Development

Once your characters are attached to your forum account via your public CD key, you can add character development entries to this character, set who can read it and who can't and so on.

1. Go to the page of the character you want to add a character development entry to

In my case, this was William Leox. You can go there either by searching in the character database or via your forum profile. Click on "Character Development".

This should lead you to a screen, which will in the beginning look like this:

If you click on "Add a new update about this character", it will lead you to the familiar edit window. At the bottom, you should find your character already tagged to this development entry:

Once your are satisfied with the entry, click submit. The entry will now be created and you will be able to look at it. But there is more.

Access control

In the top right corner of your character's profile as well as in the top right corner of your newly created development entry, you will find a header named "Access control". This enables you to set who can see your character's profile or your development entry.

Click on it, and you will be directed to a settings page:

Set a marker at the group of users you want to see your profile or CDT entry.

At the bottom of the list, you will find a way to grant access to certain users seperatly:

Add those that you want to see this entry, then click submit.

Voilá, it's done. Now we can merge both the public and private CDT into one, setting reading rights as appropriate.

anything