The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN character creation issue / crash  (Read 1003 times)

Guardian 452

NWN character creation issue / crash
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:36 am »
This is a new one for me... upon trying to create a new character in NWN. When I get to the tab to choose a portrait the game freezes and crashes. In the past I always noticed a significant pause as I assumed it loaded the rather large portrait folder. But now it does not com out of it and show me all the portraits I can choose from. It just ends up telling me NWN stopped responding or something along those lines. I know this is a very recent thing too.. less than a month ago I could make a character with no crash. To my knowledge I havent updated or changed anything major since it worked last.

Any ideas to remedy this?

Some of my system specs.
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3Ghz processor
Geforce GTX 560 Ti with 1MB of GDDR5
5 Gigs of memory

Thanks
G-452

Dorganath

Guardian 452

Re: NWN character creation issue / crash
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:22:33 am »
the link takes me to page 11 of the custom portrait thread. the only issue I see on that page is someone saying they didnt have a portraits folder.

Ive tried removing my portraits folder completly and then it works... giving me the NWN default portraits only.

I tried moving my existing portraits folder out (to the desktop) and making a new portraits folder and re-installing the portrait pack in the download section. After doing so the problem of crashing comes right back again.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:53 am »
I have the same problem, G. I haven't attempted to fix it, but rather have worked around it. I use an image viewer to review the portraits, then pick the one I want for my new character. Then I rename my portraits folder 'portraits_bac' or something similar and create a new portraits folder in the NWN folder. I take all the files belonging to the portrait I chose and put a copy of that single portrait into the new portraits folder. When I create the character, all the default NWN portraits show up plus the single portrait I added. I pick that one, finish making the character, save the character, and then close NWN. I go back to my NWN folder and change the name of 'portraits_bac' back to 'portraits' and delete (or rename) the portraits folder that has the single portrait in it. It's a pain in the bumm, but I have no idea why the game crashes at character creation and not when loading portraits for the module, and I figure it would take me longer to troubleshoot a problem that's possibly not fixable.

Guardian 452

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:36:52 am »
An interesting work around Milton... I will try that.

tyvm

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:23 am »
Read down from there.  It talks about a possible corrupted portrait file.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:41:31 am »
It talks about a possible corrupted portrait file.

How would you find which one is corrupted without going through each one to see if it makes the game creator crash? Is there software out there that can do that?

Script Wrecked

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
How would you find which one is corrupted without going through each one to see if it makes the game creator crash? Is there software out there that can do that?

Sometimes there's no getting 'round doing the hard work. In this case, someone has already [POST=1738596]done it[/POST].

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:03 pm »
Assuming that is in fact the corrupted one in G's (and my) list as it was in theirs. Also, if it is remembered the next time the portrait pack is updated, perhaps we remove that portrait from the pack?

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Sometimes there's no getting 'round doing the hard work. In this case, someone has already [post=1738596]done it[/post].

Right...which is why I encouraged reading the thread. *smiles*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Assuming that is in fact the corrupted one in G's (and my) list as it was in theirs.

Indeed; if you and Guardian 452 can verify that you are having the same problem (as per Drakogear's post), and not some other problem.

Guardian 452

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:43:31 pm »
I removed xalArfurDumas_M and it works now... no crash.

Xaltotun

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 06:39:47 am »
This file xalArfurDumas_M has been posted as causing problems (my suspicions are that the filename is to long).

Could G452 check to see if you have a file called xalArfDumas_M (not xalArfurDumas_M - my emphasis - ) in your Portraits folder? If you have, and the game works as expected, then that is great and let us know.

If you don't have this file, the linked file below is the file I use and it works fine for me with no crashes. I would be obliged if you could try it out and let me know if it resolved your problem, and if so, then perhaps you could post back and let us know so we can make sure this new file gets included in the download.

[ATTACH]18487[/ATTACH]

Guardian 452

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:25 am »
I have xalArfDumas_M in my portraits folder right now. No crash when trying to make a new character.

The only file I removed was xalArfurDumas_M

Chazzler

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:10 am »
Yeah that must have been the culprit during the days I created Deacon and the portrait selection would hang up.

Xaltotun

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 02:17:53 pm »
Great, thanks.

If whoever makes up the file with the portraits could make sure that the xalArfurDumas_M is not included and is replaced with the file xalArfDumas_M (linked below if necessary) that would be brilliant.

SteveJW

Little late...wanted to play
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »

Little late...wanted to play the original campaign and crashed at character creation. Deleted the suspect file but still crashed. Only way I got around it is to log into Layo...log out and stsrt a new campaighn. It works when I did that.

Brutus_Clawfoot

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 01:19:02 pm »

Ok I give up! I can't figure out how to delete xalArfurDumas_M from my winzip list. (insert your laughter here) I'll confess I'm almost computer illiterate so I got a friend to help me download the Hak and Tlk files so I could jump back in to Layo. But I was trying to tinker with my new Build, Mangus and I'm discovering that this currupt, Dumas file, thingy, is jamming up my system too, but every time I try to delete it the prompt tells me I cant delete a "viewable file." I even tried dragging it to my trash bin and that doesn't work either. 

I also tried yelling at it and calling it names and not only did that not work , it also didn't make me feel any better. Soooo....

I'm sure any one of you guys is way attuned on what I should be doing, so when your finnished laughing, I sure could use the "R,L,R,L,Up,Down,Up,Down,start,select" secret. I would be eternally greatfull!

Who wants to be a hero?

miltonyorkcastle

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 04:46:06 pm »

To which file did you unzip the portrait files? The "portrait" folder in your NWN folder?

Brutus_Clawfoot

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »

Miltonyorkcastle officially gets one "Thank You Cookie" hand crafted with loving, thoughtful consideration by Brutus_Clawfoot!