The Layonara Community > General Discussion

NWN Master Server

<< < (3/5) > >>

davidhoff:

--- Quote ---How do you make it a "plain text file"? I only see 2 options
--- End quote ---

I think what I did is I created a file in microsoft word first and didn't worry about it being "plain text" file.  Then when that didn't work, I think I either copied it or just open it and performed a "save as" action.  At the bottom of the save screen it had a drop-down list for "file type" (mine had about 10+ options for file type), and I chose plain text.  Hope that helps.

willhoff:
Thanks Script,

I run wind xp and clicked on the "Hosts" file.  I got a pop window asking what program I wanted to open the file in and clicked on microsoft word.  All I saw was a single sentence and the rest of the page blank.  I pasted your formula "0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com" the next line under the existing sentence.  I clicked save under the file options.  I got a pop window that asked me if I wanted to save as a text file and I clicked yes.  Closed out the screens and it worked.

Xaltotun:
For anyone struggling to edit or create the file Script talks about, I would advise using erither Notepad or Notepad 2 (for Windows based machines only) as they create the type of file you need. When you save the file, make sure you DO NOT save any extension with it, as the file needs to be called hosts and not hosts.txt, hosts.doc or anything else with a suffix.

Jilseponie Wyndon:
I made the changes and unfortunately ... nothing changed. I still have to wait.  :(

Script Wrecked:

--- Quote from: Jilseponie Wyndon ---I made the changes and unfortunately ... nothing changed. I still have to wait.  :(
--- End quote ---

Your hosts file would now look like this:

--- Code: ---# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com

--- End code ---

It should be in text format, with no extension. I am a little bit thrown by "[Host Folder]" in your earlier post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version