The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN Nethack?  (Read 283 times)

SuperMunch

NWN Nethack?
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:28:20 am »
Bioware has released a new premium module... Infinite Dungeons and I'm buying it as soon as I can.

A random dungeon generator, woooooooooo!
An evil wizard at the end, wooooooooo!
Lots of bosses, woooooooooo!

The one thing I want to know is if he drops an amulet...  :D

Fatherchaos

Re: NWN Nethack?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:35:31 am »
Play in exploration mode as an archeologist to find out!

Faldred

RE: NWN Nethack?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:40:57 am »
When the description said, essentially, a random dungeon tailored to the PC's class, I immediately thought Nethack.

There's no good reason why someone can't make an NWN module out of Nethack.  Some of the game mechanics would have to be changed, but the essential "plot" of Nethack can be retained pretty easily.  It contains a fairly linear main quest:

* Delve into the dungeon, and explore
* Complete the class-specific quest to get the chime of opening
* Complete the Vlad's Tower quest to get the candelabra
* Complete ??? quest to get the book of the dead (Fake Wizard's Tower?)
* Find the entrance to Morloch's Sanctuary, use bell, book, and candle to enter
* Get the Amulet
* Try to escape the dungeon with Rodney in pursuit
* Go through the elemental planes
* Find the right altar and sacrifice the Amulet

(Side note, the best I've ever done was everything but the last step -- once died on Astral Plane, and once - the ulimate D'oh! - I sacrificed the Amulet on the wrong altar!!!)

There are side quests already built in (Gnomish Mines, Sudokan), and more could be added in the same flavor.  Also plenty of "secrets" and special levels exist in the game that could be converted

SuperMunch

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:49:18 am »
I never ascended and I've been playing for... hmmm... 20 years... :P

It doesn't matter though, the game is fun no matter if you finish it or not.

Fatherchaos

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:00:14 pm »
Did you ever give nethak falcon's eye a go? Its absolutely the perfect game to run on my old pentium 166 laptop (recently replaced). Another version was also put up for PDAs . . . well I just purchased this module to give it a go. *dreams of nethak, remembering when he was running away with the amulet, near death, and his familiar turned stag - Kitten bites you for 3 hp. XXX has been killed by a Kitten. Would you like to identify your possessions? NOOOO!

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:38:36 pm »
HeHe Good ole nethack, I think the guys at Blizzard tried to rip it off a bit when they made the original Diablo too, random dungeons etc, problem was only was random in multi-player i think. I miss both games.

P.S.Anyone ever play the automatic one that sits in ya sys tray?
Whose got the longest running one out of us all? lol post some times up and stats so we can have a chuckle :)

Me I just got this new Comp and haven't done it yet and forget the old ones time up and stats :( DOH!

Peace
Den

vgn

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:24:44 pm »
Ok so I picked this up cause I had to check it out.
It's pretty slick. The maps are randomly created and there are shops, henchmen, quests, etc.
It's a bit loot heavy. They could probably halve or quarter it and it would still be fun.
One of the best bits?
I started in a warehouse and there was a  black cat. I talked to it and it said "meow" and joined me!
Everything is randomly created, loot, monsters, inventories, etc.
Of course sometimes it is a bit toooo random. I found a handaxe +1 that had a bonus feat on it of "improved criticals (unarmed)"
It can be customized by your class type or completely random.
It's worth 8 bucks I'd say.

Etinfall

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:07:35 pm »
I got it too. Definitely worth it. I have a couple of friends that would love it. Can't beat Layo at all, but for those who don't care for heavy rp. It is loot heavy, I like the henchman that work for a percentage of your loot. The map and journal is cool also.

Faldred

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:25:49 am »
My only problem with getting this is that it requires you to be online to authenticate each time you play.  If I'm online, I'd rather be playing Layonara.  I want modules/expansion packs like this for those times I have my computer, but no (or an unreliable) network.

Maybe the folks at Atari will bindle up all of the premium modules on a CD or DVD for purchase, so that it can authenticate against the disk rather then the network -- that would be much more preferable.

darkstorme

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 08:56:12 am »
Well, they did it with Kingmaker, so it's entirely possible.

Perhaps they'll release NWN: Iridium Edition.  Or NWN: Emerald Edition.  Depends on whether they go with more expensive metals, or gems.  *chuckles*

Marswipp

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 09:04:10 am »
I wonder if dungeons might be so random you're stuck in the starting room. (That happened to me in Falcon's Eye.)
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Fatherchaos

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:19:34 am »
I think NWN: Uranium 235 would be appropriate :)