The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: One Last Time  (Read 443 times)

Chongo

One Last Time
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:11:45 pm »
[SIZE=16]" As we descended we  came upon the last dwarven tunnel, a hallway that led to a large natural cavern.  The hall was rough as though the cutters broke through into the cavern and left  their duties of perfecting the path for another time, one that never came. Thus  began a descent deeper and deeper, tunnels not dug by hands but burrowed or even  eaten from the solid core of the mountain high above us lead from cavern to  cavern. No more level rooms were to be found as we went down, further and  further into Layonara. The simple clans and beasts from above grew scarce as  deeper and fouler beasts, some that have never seen the sun, turned common and  our group now trekked slowly and carefully."[/SIZE]
 [SIZE=16]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16]---Harolgar, Frostblade  of the White Fox Clan---[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16] About a month or so ago I tendered my  resignation to Layonara team. I used to be able to crank out hours upon hours of  building on top of playing the game for hours on end. These days I can't really  find committed time to fulfill my duties as a full time quest GM on top of  growing our little garden of NWN Layonara. I thought about clinging onto the GM  seat, I really did. But all I'd end up doing is passing judgement or chiming in  my steady opinion from afar without an inkling or grasp of our community. So  it's time to call it quits.[/SIZE]
  [SIZE=16]

[/SIZE]    
[SIZE=16]When I started off with the relic based  entry theme/ system, I built a good chunk of new material. It was closed and  locked off waiting for completion both in building and the scripting needed to  successfully implement it. Also, older material that had been converted was  locked off. Since Dorg finalized 1.69 several weeks ago, I picked up the modules  for one last swing and wrapped everything up that I was capable of handling on  my own, with a little help on puzzle scripting from ScriptWrecked (thanks  script).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]The major new addition to the server is the  region of the Great Spikes of the Blinding Lands, implemented as closely to Ed's  team's new writings on it as I could muster knowing all the potentials of the  toolset... of course with ample spins and twists on it to appropriately get an  amused growl from Ed. The adventure of these northern realms is pretty neat.  It's an older and perhaps simpler vibe, one that I had a lot of fun working on.  And the GM who first picks up on the nature of the region and the number of  quests to be had here is lucky. All in all around 70 areas that were either  locked off or didn't yet exist are now in game and waiting for you. There are  also a couple of new quest areas to get things kicking on quests. Beyond that  it's the normal fixes here and there, trying to wrap the monster that was too  hard here, and the area that needed a bit of love there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]I've had a great time working on this  module, and hope you guys liked what came of v3. I'll support fixes for the next  couple of weeks to make sure nothing is quirky, and after that I'll still be  around playing.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=16]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16]So, I suppose I'll see you in there, and  remember - when you find a book, take the time to read it and talk about it. It  may save your life.[/SIZE]

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: One Last Time
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:18:45 pm »
As always, Chongo, you are an amazing builder.  I hope your Relic system works well, and I can't wait to find my first relic...

(Just make sure that horde of Mithril stuff is where I asked you to put it)  *wink wink*

Chongo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:32:01 pm »
To clarify Shiff, the relic system is now RP only.  It's not scripted entry outside of puzzles.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »
Oh, so do we still find these clues to the puzzles though?

LynnJuniper

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:43:36 pm »
Thats one BIG Squishy.

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:51:50 pm »
Quote from: ShiffDrgnhrt
Oh, so do we still find these clues to the puzzles though?

Ayep.

Link092

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:56:50 pm »
can I get a quick clarification of this "relic system"? just for knowledge sake?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:55 pm »
Rock on, Chongo. Rock on.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
Do rock on, but could you make the images less than 1600x1000? Some of us are running 1024x768. :)

I really look forward to the new systems, areas, and your final opus.

Chongo

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:46:43 pm »
Link, originally the relic system was intended to integrate bits of lore and puzzle peices into the droplists.  Then regions, big and small, would be designated relic-based entry only.  Basically you'd find the puzzle peice which would magically open the path/door/whatever to that region then close after about 5 minutes.

Now, the drops are integrated in.  There are puzzles and riddles and things to figure out, some of which lean heavily on knowledge derived from relics.  Some are more 'on the spot'.  What we are not going to have is the barriers that only open magically when you have that relic in your inventory.  There are few reasons that I decided to scrap this.  The most significant of which is that at this stage in the life of the server, we shouldn't be trying to create barriers.  We don't have enough time with GM quests to expose the playerbase to these places.  We don't have enough time and slaughtering of creatures by the tens of thousands to harvest drops that work only once, and likewise I think it'd be a 'rich get richer' scenario if we made them unique drops that work indefinitely.

The impetus for all of this was to make precious places more precious.  The Great Ruins were the theme that drove this idea, as they were a region that I'd worked on with L and Ed both to turn into a masterpeice of an epic are for Layo.  And it is, it's really nice and has a long story behind it that I wrote and Ed fixed (heh).  But it turned into a high epic loop.  So my response was relic entry integrated into drops to spread out the visits to keep it pristine.  While waiting for script fixes to get this operating correctly, I noticed that the high epic population of the server was dwindling.  And it's been rather dire for that community to rally.  So... what's better... what's worse... I dunno, it comes back to the bang for buck given the timeline.  If we were starting NWN Layonara tomorrow and be running for another 7 years then I'd absolutely say that it's a fantastic idea for maintaining rarity in area themes in regard to traffic.  Keeps a little magic alive without necessitating locked off areas for GM quest use only.  So...  maybe for the MMO it'd be useful and have a place.  But I'm not part of those decisions, and as far as I know, the scripts involved are not yet functional.

So, no barriers, plenty of puzzles and lore.  That's what we're finishing with.

:)

Link092

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:02 pm »
*solemnly* Ya... I hope the servers continue for seven more years... I just found this place. :(

Chongo

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:35 pm »
Quote from: Link092
*solemnly* Ya... I hope the servers continue for seven more years... I just found this place. :(

Me too.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:19 pm »
I suggest then you suggest this place to your friends, Link.  The more people here the Merrier, and I like Merrier-ness....  *shifty*  More Players Equals good  :)

Link092

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:39 pm »
I already have two coverts... despite the fact that they rarely lay.. >.<

*dit8 timeo get new batteries for the keyboard...

*edit* *points up* Told you so.

Chazzler

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 11:26:20 am »
Chongo, you're the man :)

anything