The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: One tangential point  (Read 422 times)

SteveMaurer

One tangential point
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:36:33 pm »
Although the Catch-22 thread is clearly both exhausted itself and is locked, one tangential point needs to be addressed.   It has been stated by a few players a mischaracterization that my posts are "low" "all out attack" or not "objective" or "player vs team".

Nothing could be further than the truth.

Instead, I am simply taking the Layonara leadership at its word that it welcomes honest critiques, further adjusted by my belief that "being respectful" is not an instruction never actually point out when things could be done better.

Specifically, in all my posts:
    [li]You will not find a personal attack, either by name calling, or imputing a pejorative motivation to anyone.[/li][li]They are almost always a mixture of things I think the team is doing well, along with things that the they're not doing well.[/li][li]Almost always when criticism is given, I suggest a positive alternative, rather than just making a negative comment.[/li][li]There is never an expressed expectation that something must change, or anyone must do something.  This is their baby, not mine.[/li][li]I have never made a complaint on behalf of any of my own PCs; I never write anything guided by self-motivation.[/li][li]My strongest criticisms have been reserved for situations where I felt that some other player's established PC was inadequately treated after a change in server rules or lore harmed them.[/li][li]My critiques are not pointed at some goal I want the team to adopt, but rather at suggesting better approaches for the team at accomplishing goals they have set for themselves.   Especially in terms of hanging on to more casual gamers.[/li][/list]Whoever is reading this has, of course, the right to disagree with anything I say.   Ignore me if you want.  Pretend to yourself that I'm the Simon Cowell of Layonara (although I do not think I am anywhere near as harsh as he is).   But do not pretend to yourself that I am somehow participating on this site out of any intent to "grief" the Layonara team, or to show any disrespect.

Indeed, by being open with my critiques, I think I am actually far more respectful of the team's maturity and fairness than many who are critical of me.  And regardless of whether the Layonara leadership likes anything I say or not, it's much easier to handle issues out in the open, than deal with persistent unsubstantiated whispers, like the view that the Layonara team plays favorites (a charge I think is completely false, by the way - and I offer as evidence the fact that none of my PCs have ever been treated unfairly in game).

I will finally note that I am generally not writing as many of these as I used to simply because the leadership already has an idea of what it wants, and how it plans to get there.   I certainly wish them well, and hope any misgivings I occasionally feel about how they go about it are entirely in error.

Leanthar

One tangential point
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »
Noted. I am going to lock this thread as this whole topic has gotten out of control and all sides need to step away for a while.

anything