The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Optimum Video Settings  (Read 226 times)

aragwen

Optimum Video Settings
« on: August 06, 2005, 02:51:00 am »
Hi all
  Not sure this is the right forum, so please move if in the wrong place.
  I have been having many problem hanging ingame the last month or so. My computer does not hang, just the game. I get an illegal operation screen, reload and it is fine then for 10-15 minutes. Have tried all possibilities....latest drivers....lowest possible settings.....no sound....etc.
  PC Config:  Pentuim 4 dual processor, 2.60Ghz, 512MB Ram, soundblaster live, 80gb hdd with more than 50% free (and fully defragmented yesterday), 384kbps ADSL connection. Just bought a new vid card today, GEforce fx5500 with 256mb memory into a 8x AGP port due to thinking the old geforce fx5200 with 128mb was my problem.
  I am not sure what is the recommended video settings that I should run NWN in with the above configuration? And have not tested the new vid card ingame either.  Any other information on possible reasons for hanging ingame would be appreciated.
  Regards Aragwen

Marswipp

RE: Optimum Video Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 05:48:00 am »
Isn't there a "Configure" option on the launch screen menu?
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

freemen2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 07:35:00 am »
Tried reinstalling NWN?

aragwen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 07:51:00 am »
I have run the configure from the first menu, no difference it seems.
  I have also reinstalled NWN in full twice allready.
  I have played today, hanged twice with the new card as well, even when my settings was set to the lowest possible. So really not sure what else to check, barring format and total reinstallation of my machine.
  I have checked for virusses and nothing found either.
  *pulling hair out of my head at this time*

freemen2

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:56:00 am »
Well unfortunatly sounds like a reinstall OS might be needed, seems you have a .dll or what not that's giving your OS heartburns :(....Ok this started ~2 months ago, what ye installed at that time?

Asmodean

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 08:20:00 am »
I have noticed a remarkable increase in NWN crashes since moving to 1.66.  It may not be the computer itself, but I've heard that turning off shiny water and one or two other 3D effects helps especially in Port Hampshire and Point Harbor.  I've crashed other places, but both regnus and myself have noticed significant difficulties since moving to the 1.66 version.  I hope this helps.  And let's hope that 1.67 is more stable.

Vyris

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 08:45:00 am »
check your RAM, that was my crashing problem.

Vyris

aragwen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 12:46:00 pm »
Indeed Asmodean, my problem also started when I moved to 1.66, but I have turned off all visual effects and still hang jsut talking to people in a group, not even moving or fighting
  Thanks Vyris, I will check the memory.
  Perhaps this is just a good excuse to buy a new computer....at least my wife would smile when she gets the hand down....

aragwen

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 04:51:00 am »
Sorry to keep bugging you all on this issue. Thanks for everyone replying. I am at the point off buying a new PC, but thought maybe someone technical out there could give me some final advice......*eyes credit card and wonders what the limit is*
  Changed the memory....still crash Disabled sound...suggestion from bioware tech forum......still crash Bought a new graphics card GeForce FX5500 256mb memory.....still crash Loaded latest drivers for grahics card.....still crash Downgraded drivers to older version..as suggested by bioware forum....still crash Run minimum settings on video settings....still crash
  Not being technical I started scratching around on my computer.....and found the following when running Microsoft System Info and looking at conflicts/sharing...any ideas if this is the root of my problem? And if it is how do I fix it. I cannot seem to be able to change IRQ's on any devices.    Regards Aragwen

Marswipp

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 05:55:00 am »
When getting a new computer, building your own computer is (usually) the least expensive way to go.
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Sajh

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
    Think 512 MB ram is rather low if you don't have a clean OS. When my computer was new and no extra program was installed ( no extra processes in memory ) ( exept NWN ), the game didn't hang, but after I install other programs, NWN start to chrach and specialy when I was in big party, I installed 2G ram and every thing got fine.  

// Stefan

mightyrotag

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 07:57:00 am »
      I'm not sure where the issue is but I'll say this. You are certainly not lacking in any of your specs. I used to run NWN on a museum piece of a computer - p3 498 MHz with 128 MB RAM with a 32 meg vid card. I never ever crashed.

Bad RAM? Heating issue? Not sure. If you are running one of the recent versions of Windoze, you could try restoring your system to a previous date. Wish i had something more concrete to suggest.

General_Ski

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 12:02:00 pm »
        I have similar hanging issues. It's in part related to video card, I downloaded new drivers. I lowerede visual effects and turned off combat info updates. That seemed to help. Freezes occur much less often. Also if you manage to turn off updates on people logging in and out that would help as well...

P.S. I completely turned off grass. and water details.

Filatus

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »

There could be another problem. I've seen a lot of posts on the internet blaiming the new animations in NWN. I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but I have far less trouble with NWN since I downloaded the old ones in the override folder.

You can download them at the Vault.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=251

aragwen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 03:58:00 pm »
        Thanks once again for all replying.
          Ignore my stupidity, but where do I turn the stuff off General_Ski; Combat info and people logging? I assume it is in the nwplayer.ini file.....but could not find these settings. All my advanced settings is turned totally down and all the boxes is deselected.

Vyris

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 07:19:00 pm »
        Right click on the border of the chat window, it brings up a radial menu.

Vyris

Diamondedge

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 08:21:00 pm »
        See, I'm just working towards buying a new computer. My old one's screwed. Dad killed it with all his illegal *gasp* downloads.

My new computer will be a gaming/homework haven. I dream of it now. I'm buying it from circuit city. Or else Dell. But it looks soooo good to me. It's gonna rock. And I'll get a mini fridge. And then I'll never leave my bedroom. Goodbye, Social life!

EDIT: P.s. 1.66 seems to be useless. No CD needed anymore, but it's still a pain in the arse.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 01:02:00 am »
        Unfortunately, my computer crashes quite often as well, It would appear when it is having severe load issues. Often times, and here lately, I have noticed sometimes it's just idle, and when i go to do something, it locks up (just the game.. and music keeps repeating it's half-second excerpt though all movement ceases).

If this is the type of hang up you're getting, it seems to just be the game itself. I only have 256 megs of ram (yes.. laugh at me  :( ) but for the most part, I've kept a fan on it, (for cooling) and I've played on other computers.

It could also be connection inflicted as I have 56k (and I've not seen that mentioned here). Possibly because of 1.66 it could be Anti-Virus software, as mine has a pop-up quite often about permitting NWN. Sadly, I am unsure what the problem is, and continue to just live through it by rebooting, waiting until I can connect to a decent connection, and then Jump into the game. (roughly 6-7 minutes, but i've taken over 20 before).

Perhaps if we share any of the same conditions, we might find the resolution. I am due for a new computer in the coming months as well though. (Thank you God for Christmas.. Literally) (and no offense)..  :o

Btw, I'm Charlie a.k.a. Joker (Shorter than YearOfTheSpider, though could turn into.. YOTS ;) )
        Nice meeting you all and Have a great night.