The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Party chat: What it is, and what it is not  (Read 9321 times)

Dorganath

Party chat: What it is, and what it is not
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:51:20 am »
This is just a friendly reminder about the use of the Party channel in-game, as it seems that enough people do not completely understand how it should and should not be used here.

What the Party Channel is:
  • Most importantly, it's a way for GMs to keep track of people and conversations during quests.
  • A way to keep in contact with other characters in your group that does not directly disturb anyone not in the group.
What the Party Channel is not:
  • It is not a free license to communicate OOC with members of your group because the general server population cannot hear it.
  • It is not an appropriate way to communicate, IC or OOC, with members of your party who are in different areas of the server, or even far enough away in the same area as to be out of earshot.
  • It is not a way to meta-game the location of other members of your group.
You may ask, "Why is this a problem, if no one in my group cares about the OOC?" The simple answer is that the Party channel is seen by any GMs who are currently logged on, and if a GM is running a quest or impromptu event, such OOC chatter can be a terrible distraction for a GM trying to sort through the conversations of a party (or parties) with whom he/she is trying to interact. We ask that you don't do it, so please, don't do it.

If OOC communication is necessary, use of Tells is preferable to the Party channel for the simple fact that Tells are already OOC and GMs do not see them at all. There are also cases, such as if you need to log out or step away from the computer for a few moments where a brief OOC notice to the rest of your party is desired. Typing things like "// brb" or "// gotta log" or something similar is fine, because it's brief and it is the most appropriate means to communicate such things to a group of more than a couple people.

I have seen comments ranging from asking what music the other people in the group liked to hear to people in various different parts of a server talking about where to meet to go gather some kind of CNR or to help some character(s) retrieve their grave(s). None of these are really appropriate uses of the Party channel.

I know that sometimes things come up, people slip, mistakes happen, whatever. We understand this and it's fine when it happens, but it should be the exception, not the rule. Entire OOC conversations should not take place in the Party channel. Please try and be observant of this.

Leanthar

Re: Party chat: What it is, and what it is not
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:41 am »
Thank you Dorganath, 100% agree on all of your points.

Please try to keep things IC as much as possible, that is what an RP server is about--and most certainly is what Layonara is about.

Rowana

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 12:46:37 am »
What follows is portions of my GM log, names removed for anonymity, over a six hour span, approximately. I left out some of the OOC, where people had to log suddenly or something that is generally excusable. During this time there were GM threats made on OOC, persons were spoken to individually, and still it persisted. You will see from the log that there was quite a bit of this OOC inside and outside of Party speak. OOC outside of party speak does not make it alright.  If you are afk and want to alert  your party that you are back. You don't have to do it OOC. A simple emote will suffice. *Stretches* or something similar. If something odd has happened, Handling in Tells is best, unless GM assistance is required. If you have an OOC question for someone related to Exp or what have you, this is best left to a tell as well.  Keep in mind as you look over the log, that I omitted an exceptional amount of OOC that was in addition to this OOC.
  Please please please, rememeber that  Layonara is proud of it's quality RolePlay. RolePlay is why Layonara is here.  
  [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:51:18]  [Party] //XXXXX isnt ready but can probably catch up [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:51:42]  //34k to go \\o/ [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:51:42]  //sure [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:51:48]  //lets just keep me from dying till next level [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:00]  //keep you from dying everytime [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:08]  //you already got a DT [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:09]  [Party] // lets go [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:18]  [Party] //ive lost 2 strands now...today [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:24]  //damn [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 18:52:38] : [Party] //i lost one in all my life [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:02:24] : [Party] /run [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:02:28] : [Party] //dont fight [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:06:49]  : [Party] // who lootied? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:14:35] : //does my head look better =P? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:14:44] : //nope :) [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:15:19] : // *sticks tongue out* [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:17:30] : //reinvit eme [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:17:32] : //reinvite me& [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:17:49] : //kicked? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:17:51] : //err? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:29:33] : //32k to go \\o/ [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:29:46] : //4k omg excited lol [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:30:36] : //26.5k [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:30:41] : //my CR and xxxx's is spawning Raiders... [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:30:48] : they cause problems// [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:30:52] : CR? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:31:03] : //Challenge Rating [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:31:05] : [Party] //what is cr? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:31:11] : [Party] //ohh [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:31:33] : //that means [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:31:42] : //we'll not be able to fight these [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:34:34] : [Party] //lemme know when we get somewhere safe enough to afk a min [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:38:52]  : [Shout] /The next five people that spout blatant and unnecessary OOC outside tells are going to find themselves beset by horrible creatures. [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:39:09]  : [Shout] //rabid experimental kittens [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:39:18] : [Shout] //with acid damage CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:39:26] : //*shudders* CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:41:30] : //back [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:42:42] : //sorry about that [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:42:50] : //had to reboot. [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:43:36] : //let me start thiss again. [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:43:42] : //4,000 [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:43:44] : //rest 1 min [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:46:55] : //LOL? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:02] : //omg what did i do? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:12] : /you attacked first [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:21] : //i understand you [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:26] : //misclick [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:29] : //happens [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:47:40] : //not problems, im glad i didnt killed you [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:48:19] : //when you click so fasts sometimes you hit attack [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:48:54] : //it'was outside party chat >.< [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:50:40] : //man lag is bad [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:50:41] : //rest [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:50:47] : //yes [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:50:49] : //it is! [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 19:52:46] : //killed [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:01:39] :  // it's tuff i need a triblish looking helm [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:19:52] : // i'm looking for the blade sheth on the back [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:20:43] : // this looks awesome [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:29:03] : //canĀ“t wear the armor [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:29:17] : //no worries [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:29:19] : //I'm gonna need some help with the Basic Quests... [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:29:22] : //thanks [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:30:58] : // no sleeves* [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:34:00] : //XXXXXXX, ya see what I have in my hand? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:34:22] : // can't ge ta good look at you right now jsut a sec [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:35:22] : // ok i got it [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:36:21] : //make it a dark color [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:36:44] : // how's this? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 21:36:56] : // for the blade, pretty dark [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 23:31:43] : [Party] //whats a tackle [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 23:31:50] : [Party] // watch football more [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sat Jan 27 23:56:20] : [Party] // anybody need a shield? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:18:54] : [Party] // sorry, lag [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:24:13] : [Party] // invis [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:24:19] : [Party] //wait [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:30:47] : // dang party [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:37:50] : // i have to make a cig run... and pop... so i'll be afk for a bit [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:37:53] : //wow thats way off [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:37:57] : [Party] //Nice [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:37:57] : //Nice [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:38:04] : // mmk i'm doin a copper run [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:38:05] : [Party] //5 lvlvs in one day [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 01:38:14] : //reinvite please [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:06:35] : //Woah! What was that? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:06:52] : //you just started attacking me [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:07:10] : //Freaky... [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:07:26] : //so i ran from you [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:19:58] : //what lvl? [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:20:09] : // 4 [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:20:18] : nice i'm//6 [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:22:04] : //need to wait 2 mins to rest [CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Jan 28 02:22:15] : //pl

Tanman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 01:27:11 am »
I totally agree. It drives me nuts. I have also heard people describe CNR objects as that in technical terms IC. eg

"I need to improve Strength +2. Can you buff me please with Bulls?"
"Can you invis me? I can't see you..you are invis."

Rowana, can i put a motion to put that dialog in that "Just for Fun Section"? Thats the funniest dialog i have seen in my life.

Stephen_Zuckerman

RE: Party chat: What it is, and what it is not
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:34:21 am »
34k to go \\o/! *Chuckles wryly.* Och.

I came across a group like that a little earlier, today... Almost as bad, but at least they shaped up when the DM came a-knocking.

I think the thing that will break immersion for me harder and quicker than anything else is... Emoticons.

:) is not *smiles*.

lol is not *laughs*.

u is not you.

mins is not minutes.

The list goes on.

Masterjack

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 03:12:02 am »
I remember I was with a group that got stopped by a GM and told to shape up. He told us what we did that was wrong and to not do it again. Alot of it was new to me or I did not realise that it was wrong. I have tried my best to behave from then on. I think the best way to curb these bad habits is to have other characters tell their party members to not do it. I have had others tell me this and I appreciate it. The last thing I want is to be told be a GM again. GM time is best used for quests!

Masterjack

Weeblie

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 03:54:30 am »
Only one comment to that: SMITEEEEE!!!

IDii

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:21:13 am »
Ah that's not too bad Row...

Try the good old times when everyone wrote language stuff as /dm [Hey hey I'm an elf] on the DM channel. That combined with the OOC party chatter drove more than a few poor GMs insane.

Also you couldn't just jump there to tell them to shut up and speak in Common... because well it's RP and all.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 07:24:03 am »
GMW is not Greater Magic Weapon! Its hard to try to take these OOC spouts and turn them into something in character. I believe firmly that its not only up to the GMs but other players to moniter this as well maybe with a friendly respectful tell to the player or players involved. If they don't listen; then you have no choice but to take it to a GM sadly. But Yes, I couldn't agree more.

bono_bob

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:36:52 am »
    I would have to disagree on what party is and not. I personaly do  not like to see it at all. If I would see anything its OOC ( i just dont use it). Its not IC to have your guy talking to your budy beside you adn others not magicaly here you. Sure it may be a way to distrub others when you doing a quest or something.. but maybe the others want to be dstirubed and have been wandering around that aimlelsly in circles forever with nothing to do and he cant at least pick up on you and your buddie's telepathy. On a hardcore RP server I played on, party chat was just simply completel forbidden. I infact will sometimes outright just block party chat from appearing. (I will then agian mention that on teh server i was playing on.. the DMs could literally see everything including text messages in tells between players, that may have a factor). What really saddens me is you say its a way for Dms to keep track fo conversations in quests.. does that mean if one RPs in non party chat realyl well cause he is against it, it wont be as noticable because everyone has a 'look at me' flag? When said person thinks its bad RP.

Weeblie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:16 am »
    You are misunderstanding the reason of why the DMs prefer keeping tracks of conversations on quests with "party" mode. :)

When you write in the normal "talk" mode, only the people on the same "screen" as you can hear what you say. Normally, that's all fine and good, but on a DM quest, there is a problem. Usually, all the party members are on exactly the same place, so there wouldn't be an issue for them to use either of the "talk" or "party" modes. BUT... There is no guarantee that the DM is exactly there. DMs tend to jump around to prepare spawns, add static objects and so on, so if you don't use party chat, it is all possible that the DM will not see 50% of the discussion!

Actually, if the party is split into two, it is a rather common practice for both of the groups to set to the normal "talk" mode instead.

My general rule of thumb is: "Party" mode if (almost) the whole party is present. Otherwise, "talk" mode, or even "whisper" mode in case I'm saying something irrelevant for the quest itself (and there are a lot of players on the quest). :)

bono_bob

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 12:03:43 pm »
      to me DM not seeign stuff you say is just life ( I belive in murfy's law and dont expect Dm to ever see my RP anyways 99% of the time unless its on a quest) .. plus.. if the whole party is present.. but say person such as my self has party chat blocked.. well good luck.

The truth of the mattter is i think ther is too much grey area.. with people having their own opinions and all that.. which is why my self would perfer to have party chat completely wiped out. Eliminating all grey area.

*EDIT*

to be honest, though. I know where you are coming from and completely respect it.

Gulnyr

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 12:07:22 pm »
      Weeblie - 1/28/2007  2:46 PM

Actually, if the party is split into two, it is a rather common practice for both of the groups to set to the normal "talk" mode instead.

Really?  I have very rarely seen that happen.  I must be going on all the wrong quests...

Edit:  Y'know, my posts have been misread before, so I want to be clear that this is NOT AT ALL some sort of sarcastic remark.  I will truly be amazed if switching back to the Talk channel in a split party is common practice.  It seems the exact opposite in my experience.

Dorganath

RE: Party chat: What it is, and what it is not
      « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 12:37:08 pm »
      @bono_bob:
        Whatever your personal preferences may be, and I do respect your opinion there, if you are on a GM-managed quest and the GM requests that you speak in Party mode, then you need to speak in party mode.  Saying "that's life" is not really a sufficient excuse to not use it because of what you may or may not want.
        When not on a quest, party mode is completely optional.
        And as a general response to the thread....
        Regarding split-party quests...I have seen it both ways....where each group forms its own party and uses party chat so the GM can track both easily. I've seen the GM say "don't use party unless I absolutely need to hear it". Again, it depends on GM preference, and there is not really any "standard practice" for split party quests.
        But in general, for GM-managed quests in Layonara, the standard practice is to speak in party mode, unless the GM says otherwise.

Weeblie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 02:40:22 pm »
      Gulnyr - 1/28/2007  9:07 PM

Really?  I have very rarely seen that happen.  I must be going on all the wrong quests...

Edit:  Y'know, my posts have been misread before, so I want to be clear that this is NOT AT ALL some sort of sarcastic remark.  I will truly be amazed if switching back to the Talk channel in a split party is common practice.  It seems the exact opposite in my experience.

Ooh... funny that we seem to have witnessed two completely different worlds!

But, I guess, it depends on the DM and also on the players present. :)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 02:42:40 pm »
      Gulnyr - 1/28/2007  1:07 PM

Weeblie is talking about when a party is split into two for lag/performance reasons not IC reasons. If they're split for OOC lag reasons and they're really right next to each other they should be talking on talk so they can all hear each other.

If they're split for IC reasons on a quest or something and they aren't physically proximate, then of course there's no reason for the request to stick to the talk channel.

I think what is a bit inaccurate is the implication that this is a common occurance. What weeblie was talking about happens only rarely.

Weeblie

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 02:45:25 pm »
      Clarification: What I meant with splitting party is in fact not splitting the party itself, but rather that the party is present at two different places at the same time. I.e. game mechanic wise, only one party, but group A is at place X and group B is at place Y.

If two game mechanicwise parties are made, I tend to see that both (probably both, at least) parties are using party chat. :)

Sorry for the misunderstandings!

Chongo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »
      LynnJuniper - 1/28/2007  8:24 AM

GMW is not Greater Magic Weapon! Its hard to try to take these OOC spouts and turn them into something in character. I believe firmly that its not only up to the GMs but other players to moniter this as well maybe with a friendly respectful tell to the player or players involved. If they don't listen; then you have no choice but to take it to a GM sadly. But Yes, I couldn't agree more.

Yeppers.  If you're so caught up in things that you don't have time to come up with a good IC way to ask for something, go green, always go green ("tells" to the layperson).  Nobody wants to hear gmw, invis, uef, etc.  So if you need to make it clear because you really don't feel like describing it and know you'll die without that DW for the wails, then go green and keep it secret.

example from the other day:

"Need NEP?"
      "Naw"
      "No... NEP - you need it?"

And yeah, for the people laughing... we went green!  Doesn't trample anyone else's time that way and the world isn't impacted as blatantly.

Fun.

lolli_gagged

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 08:11:13 am »
      I can see conversations or situations I was part of in this log. Have to say that even though I read for days on this site before submitting a character and starting up I no where near knew it all. I learn as I go and I tend to watch those I am with at the time for proper 'behavior'. Bad mistake I see because that means sometimes I see things done 'wrong' and assume them to be proper practice. I was there when Rowana dropped down on us and very nicely explained the problem, and told us what we were doing that wasn't alright. My problem was...... I didn't understand what she wanted lol. Ya stupid I know but for those who know me in real life it is totally me and Layo is my first experience with any of this so I am truely a rookie and add to that a computer idiot and I start out lost. Rowana's instructions were probably very clear but I was confused about what I was doing wrong, or if I was one of the ones doing anything wrong. Things like 'ooc' 'tells' 'don't do it in party' 'its ok to do in party' etc just left me sending a tell to another party member asking them to explain what just happened. He couldnt because english wasn't his first language lol. So for me it wasn't about being rude or inconsiderate, it was about being ignorant even after three months on here, of what all the lingo is and how it is supposed to work. I do read these posts though, and I do pick it up. *sighs* I have learned real well what a soul strand is.  :p

Rowana

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 08:50:55 am »
      It is always alright to ask GMs for clarification on things. We don't mind, it's what we're here for. You can do this using tell, or using the DM channel or through PMs via the board if you don't exactly have time to address the situation at that moment. Please don't worry about looking silly. We are well aware that many people choose Layo as their first RPing experience and are there for prepared to help you out as much as we are able!

~row

lolli_gagged - 2/3/2007  10:11 AM

I can see conversations or situations I was part of in this log. Have to say that even though I read for days on this site before submitting a character and starting up I no where near knew it all. I learn as I go and I tend to watch those I am with at the time for proper 'behavior'. Bad mistake I see because that means sometimes I see things done 'wrong' and assume them to be proper practice. I was there when Rowana dropped down on us and very nicely explained the problem, and told us what we were doing that wasn't alright. My problem was...... I didn't understand what she wanted lol. Ya stupid I know but for those who know me in real life it is totally me and Layo is my first experience with any of this so I am truely a rookie and add to that a computer idiot and I start out lost. Rowana's instructions were probably very clear but I was confused about what I was doing wrong, or if I was one of the ones doing anything wrong. Things like 'ooc' 'tells' 'don't do it in party' 'its ok to do in party' etc just left me sending a tell to another party member asking them to explain what just happened. He couldnt because english wasn't his first language lol. So for me it wasn't about being rude or inconsiderate, it was about being ignorant even after three months on here, of what all the lingo is and how it is supposed to work. I do read these posts though, and I do pick it up. *sighs* I have learned real well what a soul strand is.  :p

anything