The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: quirky quest idea  (Read 518 times)

Erik K

quirky quest idea
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:38:27 pm »
back in the day, when I was in college, we used to play a game called assisination. Strange littel game played with dart guns.  There are a few variants, but the upshot of it was you never quite knew when someone was going to jump out and shoot you. left a lot of uncertainty to every day life.  why bring that up, you  might be asking, well I have an idea for a new type of quest and wanted to toss it out to the community for their opinions on it.
   The general idea is that you come up with a world changing idea, say breaking the curse on the broken halls (my personal favorite) then, find a DM or DM's that would take on the GMing of it.  Pretty standard so far, but after the plans are set, it becomes an open quest.  That would mean, that anyone can sign up for it and the kicker is that only the DM/s would know who those people are.  Further, anyone signing up could have their own agendas, say I did the Broken halls thing, some group, say Corathites that think the Halls are just dandy as they are, could attempt to intervein.  They could do it  either sublty, or activly, say helping the undead and fighting me or my group in PVP or anything in between.  At the same time, unless I get a break, I would have no idea who my allies are for sure, or my enemies.  It could generate some real intreque in the game and add some excitement as people or groups maneuver to gain the upper hand.  Curious to hear what other players think, thanks for reading  and if this works, welcome to Machiavelli 101  8)

Hellblazer

Re: quirky quest idea
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:06:44 am »
It's interesting to say the least

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:42:34 am »
If the prize were something truly universal, and ALSO something that would primarily pull adventurers... Say, a demi-divine gift of enlightenment, that enhanced the knowledge and skill a person already had...

Known, mechanically, as a level's worth of XP, with the lovely, lovely RP award along with.

THAT could get the whole server a-movin' and a-shakin'.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:43:40 pm »
Similar quest senarios to the one you described, where one set of PC's are put against other sets to accomplish the same task, have been done before (one such case happened very recently, actually), and will be done again. Most of the time that part of the quest isn't advertised, and it's only after you become involved in the quest that you realize that you might be going one way while another set of PC's go another way, whether that other set is known or not.

Believe it or not, I think you're actually a part of a current quest series that will likely go that route.

I think for what you're wanting, Eric, with the "assassination" comparison, is for perhaps three GMs or more to run separate series that converge at some point, yet with each set of PC's showing up at that convergence with a different motivation. Of course, convergence could happen sooner or later depending on whether one group of PC's uncovers the movement of another group, and how that plays out.