The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Poison?  (Read 359 times)

Nom

Poison?
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:30:35 am »
Can anyone explain why i keep failing my dex on phase spider and above even though my dex is 19 natural and 25 buffed?
thanks
Nom

Serissa

Re: Poison?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:52 am »
Poisons are set extremely high for dex.  Don't bother.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:37 am »
If the dex wasn't set extremely high, there'd be little advantage to the automatic success granted the Assassin PrC.  :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:25:41 am »
And it's my understanding that it's not something we can fix... do a search, you'll find some other threads about poison, but those dex requirements are Bioware defaults.

But yes, it is dissappointing that only one class can use poisons with any mechanical benefit.... it should be that Assassins get an addition to the poison DC or duration instead of their "never fails applying poison" ability.

Ravemore

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:46:30 am »
Agreed! That would also open up a lot more RP interaction by way of crafting and marketing them.. As it stands now it is a useless craft as well as a useless item. Just my opinion.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:47:09 am »
Except for gas traps.  *taps the side of his nose knowingly*

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 11:52:28 am »
Well, the craft is at least useful for GM adjucated quests. If I'm running a quest and I see that you have ten levels in poison-craft, and you suggest that you want to poison someone's drink, I'm more likely to give you a decent chance of success than if you have no levels in the craft at all.

Ravemore

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:21:22 pm »
Both points are written down and tucked away in a safe place for future reference... ;-)

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »
Yep, heal, alchemy and poison making can be very useful in quest, as it allows you to actually make better poison for that quest than you could actually make them IG. Ie poison that kill on the spot, or slooow going poison with an almost unknown antidote (black mailing is so fun IG) *grins evily*

Xaltotun

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
I was wondering the same thing as Nom, so thanks for clearing it up for me too.

Will need to brush up my tinkering skills then?

...and look for games being run by miltonyorkcastle and others who take the craft level into account.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 01:26:27 pm »
The reflex check is horribly high and with 32 Dex and a level 15 Fight/Rogue I still failed about 25% of the time.

Guardian 452

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
So....

It's isnt or can't be fixed.... if you arent one who quests and wants to poison things in quests. Don't bother with Poison Crafting.

Well good to know before I waste anymore of my time on it. *nods*

Ravemore

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 05:23:06 pm »
;) Look at Darkstorme's last post above..

lonnarin

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:41 pm »
So far I just train in the craft for RP purposes.  I also took high pickpocket skills so that I can slide them into your food during quests. ;)

Such a shame the finished poisons haven't been used in poison arrow recipes.

Hellblazer

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
that would have been awesome, but I could hear the usual palette size thing coming up again.

Dezza

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:34:24 am »
The only redeeming feature of the Assasin class is the ability to use poison, believe me! Besides...poison ain't that useful in the typical Layonara setting unless its coupled with GM interaction! Don't even think of taking that ability away from Assassins! :)

I do like the idea however of using crafted poison to make other things like poisoned arrows or to include in recipes and the like. At the moment it is really an RP skill. The crafting of poison maxes out for most characters by the time they reach level 19 in crafting and to go any further is extremely difficult unlike all other crafting skills that people can progress beyond level 22 with crafting options available to them that will still give them xp unlike poison.

lonnarin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:18:40 pm »
Quote from: Dezza
The only redeeming feature of the Assasin class is the ability to use poison, believe me! Besides...poison ain't that useful in the typical Layonara setting unless its coupled with GM interaction! Don't even think of taking that ability away from Assassins! :)

What about the death attack?  How effective is it in game?  Been pondering Fenthon staying pure rogue if its a flop in combat.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:44 pm »
Quote from: lonnarin
What about the death attack?  How effective is it in game?  Been pondering Fenthon staying pure rogue if its a flop in combat.

[POST=1042022]Linky[/POST].

Dezza

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:45 am »
And to add to Script wrecked's link.

Being a rogue class my BAB is not fantastic, Dex helps but if I want my Death Attack to have any chance of succeeding I need to stack on the Int stuff...when i do that my attack bonus drops dramatically..so while I have a better chance of getting a successful DC for my death attack I cant hit because my attack bonus has been reduced so much...

Its a vicious circle...