The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Poll on transition to NWN2  (Read 1732 times)

Dorganath

RE: Poll on transition to NWN2
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 07:07:38 am »
There's a couple things I can say without fear of contradiction later on.
  1) The NWN2 version of Layonara will be later in time than the current one.
  2) At least initially, there will be no characters with greater than 20 levels.
  Yes, I know...Master of the Obvious.  The point is, we're still working out the details.  In reality, we're looking at a "wipe" regardless, as I do not believe that character files will be portable to NWN2.  Having said that, whether we require everyone to start over at level 1 or we allow some levels to be kept or whatever...well, that's still very much up in the air.
  NWN2 Layo will, as Thak said, be more than just a reskin and a visual update to Layonara.  As Talan suggested, the foundations have already been laid for the next campaign, villains, etc.  Though who those villains turn out to be is entirely dependent on the outcome of this current one. *snickers*

Harlas Ravelkione

Re: Poll on transition to NWN2
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 08:41:39 am »
It would sadden me to loose Kobal. Both his background/story/influence and his crafting levels, which I have worked hard for (1000s of hours).

On the other hand we are at the beginning of something new here. If Kobal would still be alive his role would be different in the world. He would be old and his days of adventuring might be over or at least be very limited. That rules out the concern about epics running through the world and killing everything on sight. :)

I am looking forward to NWN2. Very much so in fact. NWN2 with Kobal would be perfect, but if its not doable I'll probably survive anyhow.

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 08:49:34 am »
I'm not too fond of a wipe only because crafting is one heck of a headache doing it the first time...but it will be kind of funny to see hundreds of old timers fighting over the ore in the goblin mine when the NWN2 site goes live.

The other good thing is that this will give me the chance to play Freldo Bloodbeard, the son of Grympint, because we all know that Freldo is Grympint's dainty Be-otch.  :p

Just messing with you Freldo, ol buddy, ol pal.

Harloff

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 08:54:53 am »
Dorganath - 4/26/2006  4:07 PM
1) The NWN2 version of Layonara will be later in time than the current one.

Are we talking about many years, so that no other than elven characters are likely to be alive?

Or so many years that all characters will be dead?

SuperMunch

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 08:55:36 am »
Grympint and Freldo's lovechild... :D

Hmmm...  Maybe I'm play Grympint Jabutica, a bard, like dad, with mom's sense of humor.  Muahahaha!

LynnJuniper

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:04 am »
Ill miss everyone so much..I don't like the idea at all....@_@ I've become so emotionally attatched...

I need help^^;

Dorganath

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 09:22:52 am »
Harloff - 4/26/2006  10:54 AM  
Dorganath - 4/26/2006  4:07 PM  1) The NWN2 version of Layonara will be later in time than the current one.

Are we talking about many years, so that no other than elven characters are likely to be alive?  
  Or so many years that all characters will be dead?
 I typed what I meant...heh.
  The span of time has not yet been decided. It will just be "later". :)

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 09:23:09 am »
Harloff>Eh?

Dwarves are long lived and I don't know about Giants and those planar peeps but there are more than just Elves that are long lived.  Not that it matters that much.

Hehe...Freldo Jr. can't have the mom's last name, it's just not natural...*shudders* of course, the thought of a love child is just too weird. I'm sure Tegan, the old cape pulling witch, has something to do with it.  :D

I am starting to think of a name for Grympint's kid though...being Californian, I'm thinking Gnarlypint Bloodbeard...as in Narly Dude...*roll eyes now*

Blackguy

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 09:32:17 am »
As much as I'd hate to se Gotak leave this world, was the reason why I didnt play for 2years when I permed, it is still nice to know that if a wipe came we would all be in the same boat, and we would all get a equal chance of starting a new chapter in layonara. I'd properly make a character similar to Gotak, just because hes very close to me, but I wwelcome a wipe if thats the way things are going.

SuperMunch

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 09:32:49 am »
Ill miss everyone so much..I don't like the idea at all....@_@ I've become so emotionally attatched...

Bah.  :)

We're just anticipating ourselves, the transition is still far away - lots of heads will roll and lots of water will pass 'til then.

And... Gnarlypint?  Grumpy dwarf with a stereotypical surfer dude accent?  Oh. my. gourd.  :D

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 09:54:59 am »
I have no problem with a complete wipe.
Ill miss my characters. Some of which are 2 years old +.

I think any epics and lv 20 characters should be made into NPCs.
Thats if they can live as long.If not statues maybe in the places they lived.

Honora

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:02 am »
I agree with a wipe.  Those who are friends now will find each other again I'm sure :).  But I really don't like the idea of an "epic" server, and while I appreciate the amount of time in some of these characters (I did put 2+ years into my EQ char and have played PnP for 24 years, something like that) having a layer of perpetually advanced characters really unbalances things for those "below".

Level playing field for all with the new NWN, I say.

~Honora

ttdavet

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 12:35:43 pm »
    Foobart (1978-81), The Gold Dwarf (1979-83), Selwyn Coldfox (1980-84), etc. etc. etc. the first character was the original D&D minatures rules, the second was the Dungeons and Dragons box set, Selwyn was my original AD&D character, and so it goes. Those of us who have been playing for decades have retired so many great characters that the retirement of characters to make way for new rules has been a part of gaming since we started.  That  next great character is just waiting to come out and conquer a new world.  I for one look forward to a new beginning because what this communitty has going now is so great and that won't be lost with a change in rules, or characters, or world.

ZeroVega

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 02:34:29 pm »
    I think a wipe is a good idea - I agree.

A general wipe 14 - Uh huh, I like the idea of a general wipe.

Characters may continue but from level 1 - I don't like this idea. It just doesn't seem plausible that characters who were levels 10, 15, 20, 25, and up would lose all their skills and knowledge.

Characters start from ½ their NWN level, but keep crafter levels - Again I disagree, with both. Allowing people to keep half levels and all crafting levels would give them an unfair advantage and allow players to gain a monopoly on the new Layoanra Economy.

I think starting it all over from level 1 and going through the Beta stages allowing peopel to scratch their way up from the top, just like we did in Layoanra with NWN Original, is the way to go.

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:47 pm »
    A general wipe is a great Idea. On the other hand if I had a level 20+ char I'd be reluctant to give em up too, but Every story has a begining and an end, so give your high level chars an ending worthy of the effort you put into them.

Asmodean

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 05:45:51 pm »
    While I love playing all of my characters, I feel a wipe is necessary.  I will miss my characters, but the fun is in building them up and RP'ing in a great world with very skilled RP'ers.  As such, I highly doubt I will play some of my ancillary characters very much.  I am also considering to not submit any new characters near the time of migration.  I do currently have a character written up for submission that I will go ahead and submit, however.  I don't want to abuse the ability to "test" some of my ideas before I create them within NWN2.  I feel this would be against server rules, even though no such rule actually exists for "migrating" to a new platform.  

Will there be a point at which a lock would be placed on existing players to submit new characters?  I wouldn't want to keep new players from entering the world, but I feel at some point they should be notified that Layo2 will be commence and that their newly created characters will be wiped.  

These are just some of my thoughts on the imminent change....  Looking forward to Project Team openings !!! :D

LynnJuniper

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 06:54:29 am »
    >_>, Alright, alright whipe..

But my next character is a bard..xD It looks like they have all the fun ;)

cbnicholson

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 07:16:05 am »
    "I cant see how a wipe can be avoided... By the Gods, itll be a whole new experience with NWN2, and what better thing to do than to let all start over..? This place is not about lvls, items and gold. Its about the players, crew and atmosphere, am I right?"

yessir!!

As a complete noob, I'd say the combo listed above will fully transfer to NWN2 Layo just fine.  I've found my new home and if it changes names - I could care less.  Keep up the good work people!
     :)
    "Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

SuperMunch

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 07:32:34 am »
    But my next character is a bard..xD It looks like they have all the fun ;)
     That'll depend on the new rules.  In my opinion, the bard class got better in the 3.5 rules with more skill points you can make a sneaky bard while still focusing in performance and knowledge.  Not to mention you don't have to spend a feat on martial weapons but you don't have the medium feat armor anymore.  However, it's still a support class - little to no offensive spells, low HP but you do get to wear some armor - so if by "fun" you mean hard, you got it right.  Freldo's level 9 and the beasties in Sielwood are tough to beat without sneaky tactics and he can only take on the Red Caverns because of his Curse Song, I don't imagine NWN2 being any different.  Rogues suffer from the support role also, but at least they get tons of skill points to be able to sneak around.  Yeah, I like bards...  There should be a rule that every party must have at least one bard.  *grins*

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 08:28:58 am »
    Reasonably speaking..

if Layo2 takes off AFTER a few hundred years...

Human PC's will have died...

gnomish and dwarvish may have retired...

elvish would be a possibility...

just my thoughts on that...

anything