The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Poll on transition to NWN2  (Read 1726 times)

Harloff

Poll on transition to NWN2
« on: April 26, 2006, 03:53:06 am »
Now many people are talking about the trasitien to NWN2, and I have heard many opinions on the matter. Personally I would be sad to see Skarp wiped, I kind of like the old brute and I have spend months playing him. I figured that many out there felt the same way so I just wanted to check.

I have asked 2 questions in this poll:

1 ) What you think of a wipe?

2 ) What solution would you prefer to the problems of switching from NWN to NWN2?

NOTE: I know that the crafting system will be changed and that the current crafter system will die, but I would like to see the crafter level translated into the new system.

Weeblie

Re: Poll on transition to NWN2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:13:37 am »
The "character itself" (all friends he/she knows, history, etc) are far more important for me than the levels.

One could of course make a new character and make a new story and get new friends, etc. But... It wouldn't really be the same thing...

Starting at lvl 1 or whatever doesn't matter for me. :)

Ar7

RE: Poll on transition to NWN2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:17:51 am »
The wipe will certainly make playing afterwards a lot harder. I have continued to play for all this time mostly because I have a character with a long history that can not be thrown away. Without my original character, I will of course play when Layonara converts to NWN2, no doubt here, but I don't know for how long it will last.

I would certainly like to see characters continue with 1/2 of their levels, though I know that is not very likely. We are going to have a new crafting system, so we won't be able to keep the levels, we are going to have a new Xp system, so starting from 10+ may be tricky. The most important factor here is time, I have very serious doubts that the plot will continue where it broke off, I assume atleast a couple of hundred years will pass, we do want to see more mature dragons :)

So I know I would like to carry on with Rufus, but with NWN2, totally new system and a new plot, it is most likely impossible.

Belecthor

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 04:49:46 am »
    I cant see how a wipe can be avoided... By the Gods, itll be a whole new experience with NWN2, and what better thing to do than to let all start over..? This place is not about lvls, items and gold. Its about the players, crew and atmosphere, am I right?

By all means, please introduce some of the epic chars back in to the world. Those who have made a lasting impression upon the storyline, if thats possible, but Im not sure it would be of any good to see all chars converted... And I dont think, when it comes down to it, anyone would leave Layo because of a wipe, I rather think itll bring Layo into a whole new greater demension. But hey, it sure aint up to me and remember its just my opinion...

So to put n end to my post: Thumbs up for a cleanslate "Layo2"!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:57:14 am »
    Ar7 - 4/26/2006  5:17 AM
    I have very serious doubts that the plot will continue where it broke off, I assume atleast a couple of hundred years will pass

The only thing its safe to assume, is that its not safe to assume anything. *grins*

And I'm not just saying that to be asinine... Don't assume anything!

I'm very attached to a character or two of mine, but the possibility of a complete wipe still does little to stiffle the giddiness I felt when I first heard some of the ideas for layo-nwn2 that were being bandied about.

----

Additionally, it would need to be around 5000 years in the future to ensure that all characters (elves, wizards, elven wizards etc.) from nwn1 couldn't be in nwn2.  

I doubt it will be that long.

If you look close enough, you can see the beginnings of a new storyline, the foundations for a new campaign.  They've been there for a long time... The villians, the accomplices... the stage is being set for them.  The question is, will anyone figure out who before its too late?

Nibor21

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:36 am »
    To me it is about a character. Her social interactions and friends. I would like PC to be able to keep their caharacters, so that existing parties can essentially keep together. I enjoy making and meeting new friends, but the special friends my PC has are the gems in the mud. For that reason alone I would like to keep my character, albeit as a lvl 1 char.

Also crafting levels should be stripped to nothing. Those who are currently experienced crafters, will not doubt be able to work hard and re-become the master craftsmen that they were. Those who have up to now been too lazy to craft may feel the need if they can't just purchase things easily.

Faldred

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 05:14:06 am »
    As much of a hedge as this will sound, I really think it depends on the story.  If it is supposed to be 1,000 years later, for example, it would be unreasonable for the same folks to be advernturing then as now.

SuperMunch

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:44 am »
    I have a lot to say, but it all boils down to a very short sentence:

We're in good hands.

Leanthar and crew probably have been thinking about this for a long time.  After the NWN2 announcement and reading our reactions, I'm sure they'll find that we're happy with whatever they choose to do and at least a part of the active players won't complaining about starting over.

As Talan said, lots of new and subtle events are a popping up that could lead into something new, maybe the shift from NWN-Layonara to NWN2-Layonara will be handled through a narrative of the development of these events into the new, full blown campaign.

I just hope the next manual isn't 800 pages long.  :)

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
      • Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 05:29:42 am »
    Well it being a new game with a new "Plot" I think we should do a wipe.

I also think that each "player" should be able to auto submit one (1) "character". This acheeved by the Player submiting under a thread the name of the Character to be started at level 1. (I think this will help the Character Approvers)

For those that want to submit a new character, may they be able to submit two (2) to three (3) weeks before the change is made?
    This way we can have a smooth *Restart*.

fighting_cheese

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 05:45:31 am »
      To be honest I am not fond of the idea for the characters to be wiped neither am I that we switch to NWN2 because then I would have to get a new computer  but I think Layonara is worth it so I shall get a new one, but I will then have to remake my 5 characters and Im not sure If I should to do that as I have forgotten most of their bios

Faldred

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 05:46:19 am »
      SuperMunch - 4/26/2006  8:22 AM

I just hope the next manual isn't 800 pages long.  :)

Wait... the guy who plays Freldo is complaining about something being too wordy?    8)

SuperMunch

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:49:34 am »
      Wait... the guy who plays Freldo is complaining about something being too wordy?

*chuckles*

Naw...  I'm just a lazy reader.

Ar7

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:57:11 am »
      Talan Va'lash - 4/26/2006  4:57 AM

If you look close enough, you can see the beginnings of a new storyline, the foundations for a new campaign.  They've been there for a long time... The villians, the accomplices... the stage is being set for them.  The question is, will anyone figure out who before its too late?

Oh I have a few guesses here *grins*

Harloff

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:26 am »
      *shrugs* I have never been able to go on any plot quests due to the time zones, work and level restrictions, so I don't care much about the plot to be honest.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 06:10:13 am »
      Like I said, I wouldn't mind the wipe. I think the combination of the new NWN2 interface, graphics, etc... coupled with the new layonara storyline (will it be new? like ya'll said we can't assume anything) would keep me interested. Developing a fresh new character appeals to me, though I can most certainly understand the pain of losing a character with a long history and depth. But then again, the question is - will you have the energy to begin the developement process over again. Personally, as stated, given the new fresh new features that will be available plus a "prettier" world - I have that energy and am rather eager. I love my characters, but I'm so sick of the NWN limitations, graphics, etc... This may not be shared by many but *shrugs*. It's a nice poll Harloff. Again - I've no doubt that like Dorg said - the team will do what's best for the community and whatever happens I'm sure it will be great!

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 06:10:28 am »
      awww, there wasn't an option on the poll for those of us out there who just don't care.  Wipe or no wipe, we'll enjoy whatever comes, and a server wipe is really the last thing on our minds.  Or am I the only one?

Harloff

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 06:20:03 am »
      miltonyorkcastle - 4/26/2006  3:10 PM

awww, there wasn't an option on the poll for those of us out there who just don't care.  Wipe or no wipe, we'll enjoy whatever comes, and a server wipe is really the last thing on our minds.  Or am I the only one?

Cursed!

That was something I had forgotten to think about... Maybe it is just because I never thought of it, blessed as I am with an opnion about (almost) everything.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 06:25:51 am »
      :P  :P  :P

Thak

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 06:26:22 am »
      Certainly it is missing the point if you could bring you lvl 20 char to Layo2. Simply because you would miss out on 90% of the new game. You probably could run through all areas within 3 days and then? You get bored. Its a new game and starting at level one is the only satisfying way to experience all the new areas/quest etc.
      For all those that really love their chars I think allowing to bring them along starting at LVL1 would be nice.
      NWN2Layo is not going to be just a graphical facelift on Layonara. ;)

Filatus

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 06:55:19 am »
      Personally I'd like to keep playing Daeron. But that is mainly because at this point I feel his story isn't full developed yet.

But if there is a wipe I still have an old character of mine that I'd like to see in Layonara.

I definately do not see the point of keeping your level if you can bring the character along.

The waitinglist for ECDQ's is already too long to be completed before the end of the year I think. And well, the absence of the soulmother helped a lot in dramatically increasing the number of highlevel PC's.

If people were to keep their level, Layonara in NWN 2 would from the beginning on be an epic server. I don't think anybody would want that.