The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Responding in RP  (Read 989 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Responding in RP
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 08:06:26 pm »
Kudos to all for filling in the holes; not terribly much left to be said. Gulnyr and Darkstorme touch on my main points: the history of the races and the way different alignments might act.

Good points all around, though. *Shuffles off to take more DayQuil.*

Script Wrecked

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 10:28:45 pm »
Apologies for backtracking a bit. However, for clarification:

Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Quote from: jan
It's in my eyes a complete ignoring off the work the writers have done and still are working on .

I understood that one of the stated aims of the original Blood campaign (as presented by the writers) was that the characters would unite against the common enemy despite their differing alignments and/or races.

You're right. But that was the Soul of a Lost Ancient campaign, where all the PCs had both a common enemy (Blood) and a common background/voucher (Ozlo summoning them).

We no longer have that. We haven't for many years, in game.

But the ongoing legacy of this campaign is the framework that the Dragon Called characters operated from, and the example that they continue to set, particularly in regard to dealings with traditionally-antagonistic-race characters; it isn't a clean slate.

There is no reason for most people/characters to think that A_Random_Orc is anything but an evil brute driven by bloodlust. Ditto Goblins, giants, etc. The halfblood forms of these don't lessen this by too terribly much. Dark elves, likewise, are the poster children of evil; they are literally the boogieman that parents scare kids with.

Until they have meet said random orc/goblin/giant/dark elf, RP has been exchanged, and they find them to be "is okay". Once that has occurred, there is the steady erosion of traditionally antagonistic behaviours. That last sentence is the point I am trying to make.

On an RP server, where the whole purpose is group interaction, if you can't find a party to RP with, should you be playing that character? Viz, should you be detailing whom you will be RPing with in your submission, and/or be given direction in that regard?

There are other things to do than RP; however, one should never step out of character just because noone else is around. In terms of "who you 'should' be RPing with," characters are assumed to be more or less normal for their race/culture unless stated otherwise. A_Human_Fighter will typically hate/fear Dark Elves and Orcs, for example, and would likely attack more or less on sight.

I am coming from the traditionally antagonistic race character point of view, and whom they would RP with.

Quote from: mixafix
I think we should all remember it and try to rp as best we can without destroying others rp or fun too. (by dominating other plots/storylines) I think its a balance thing, not sure we can always get it right every time.

I would suggest it becomes a question of "RP fun" versus "strict RP".

I would disagree. "RP fun" with a dwarf randomly greeting and running around with an orc is not "RP fun" at all. Fun it may be, but the RP bit is arguable.

That is the crux; where is balance between strict RP, and "not destroying others rp or fun too (by dominating other plots/storylines)".

Your cycle with the "agressive races" does not illustrate a workaround, but rather, it illustrates the problem.

Correct. It was not meant or intended to illustrate a workaround, but to illustrate what is taking place.

We should all keep in mind that orcs, goblins, giants, and especially dark elves, are all evil. This statement is much like "humans have some number of appendages." There may be an EXTREME few who do not, but they are considered freaks and aberrations (not to be confused with abominations), and would be unheard of among other races.

EDIT: Now, before anyone points to the number of not-totally-evil monstrous PCs we have in game, let me illustrate something, and point to the number of high-level characters we have in game. They ARE that tiny segment; almost all of it. It's like gathering all the pastafarian albino amputees in the world to say "hey! Pastafarian albino amputees are fairly common!"

They are all evil, except for the ones that the characters are meeting. However, it is those ones that the characters are spending the most time with. The characters are not RPing with the "poster children of evil", but the non-hostile loner who is trying to make friends. They color the characters' experience of the traditionally antagonistic race, and cause the erosion of of traditionally antagonistic behaviours.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Jaigan

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 10:39:27 pm »
:p This is just my opinion,
 Not long ago I was RP'ing with an Orc, in the goblin waste lands, it was ok he was demanding the head of the goblin leader and threatened to kill one of our members that was ghosted from death if we didn't hand it over. now on the surface this is pretty fun and we would be hard pressed to stop him before he either went invisible or killed the member. but.. this can never happen and our RP to the threat to me felt fake and dissapointing. this is becuase he would not accept a pvp. (of course not why would he 1 orc vs 5 or 6 others)

I have nothing agaist the player, however I feel that if you play an evil race and you encounter the humans, dwarfs, and elfs etc. you should have to either accept the pvp, or start running away. simple reason because you are the evil race and we don't need any reason to kill you aside from the fact your an evil race. (this is when you are not hiding or diquised) from now on (as long as I remember, feel free to remind me) when I see someone who is otherwise not friendly to Jaigan and of the evil race will request a pvp as soon as I can. This way as we RP it gives us 15 minutes to RP in a way thats more exciting.

I mean really 15 minutes with a dodgey orc or goblin in front of you and at any moment you could say something that could totally  this guy off and he jumps out and splits your head open, or the other way around your the orc in front of a party knowing that in a split second they could rush you and do Mistone justice by slaying an evil race, your not going to be standing there demending a goblin head from a party threatening to kill one of their members so easily now. this in my oppinion would help both the evil races and the non-evil races react better in RP to the opposing races the way it's meant to be in Layo's Lore. we need to get off the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing they can't kill us unless I accept the pvp issue. and thats what it comes down to we have NO reason to be afraid.

If your evil or if your character is face to face with someone who wants to kill you before you start RP'ing the first thing you both should do is get the PvP accepting out of the way so you have 15 minutes of solid on your toes excitment that will both wake you OOC up and also make the IC char watch what he says and does.

If you refuse the PVP then you should be running away as fast as you can or be accepting any demands the one who started the pvp wants as he is obviously the one in control having already accepted the PvP and your refusal means you lost and should be running away ;)

If you run away then thats that they can try to follow you but if you enter a town or any non pvp areas then of course you can't do anything and talking is just talk unless the city guard comes along and wacks the evil race like they should.

This is only for the Lawless Areas, caves, woods, mountains etc. in cities I would asume the city guards should be taking care of it and if an orc is descovered in a city then the first and only thing this orc should be doing is shutting up and high tailing it out of the city as fast as he can. just becuase your a PC evil race and the guards wont attack you (game system limitations) don't exploit it or take it for granted, we all know that in a city there is people all around even if we can't see them (lag reasons) so if you are called out by someone then people will hear, they will look and see and be sure the guards will hear about it and come swords drawn ready to slay the big bad orc in the city.:D  (your an evil race get over it  haha)

this is just some of the things I started thinking about after today and reading this thread concerning evil races and reacting how we should in RP. I know there is reasons for the PVP being requested and good ones at that, but to me I feel if your dealing with an evil race this is how it should be done and we don't encounter them often and the GM/DM's do a good job making sure who ever do get the Evil races don't abuse it so I think this system can and would be both fun and more challenging for both sides of the fence. I welcome any sugestions and critism or I would not have posted it here :p in the hopes of bringing the Fear back into the Evil Races.

ycleption

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 12:17:07 am »
While I agree that people being blasé about evil race PCs is a problem if everyone is doing it, I would ask to give people the benefit of the doubt about the decisions they make with their characters, (within limits obviously, a voraxian dwarf giving an orc stranger a hug upon meeting is probably pushing it). Aside from individual character decisions, there are many reasons why a someone might be more accepting of evil race PCs... Because this is a game, there is a lot of pressure for people to get along, it just makes the game part of the game easier. While I understand this can wreck the immersion for some people, especially when someone who is outspoken about the supposedly common viewpoint is the only person in a group who is wary of orcs and such, people have to realize, but pointing fingers and saying "you aren't rping well" doesn't really help anything. Speaking personally, when I first joined the server, not having a whole lot of self-confidence in my RP, I found myself with a group of characters who were much more accepting, and (probably without think as hard as I should have about it) simply joined their attitude in the assumption that it was somewhat expected of the good leaning PCs to have more tolerant attitudes. After learning that this really wasn't the case, it was too late to go back and radically change the way I rped towards them; I think this kind of experience is fairly common, because players (especially new ones) don't think about how they'll react to evil PCs ahead of time. With my second character, I was able to consider her background a bit, and concluded that she probably would treat certain races alright, (although often stereotyping and trying to take advantage of their lack of intelligence), while being utterly intolerant of other races. Basically that's a long way of saying, it's difficult to come into the game knowing how to RP with evil races, and if it's really something that the community is concerned about, there needs to be better information, and if it's really a concern, character submissions should include a statement about how the given character feels about evil races, just to make players think a bit more before coming into game.

I guess the other thing is, in RL (at least most of us) have it hammered into our heads to treat everyone as individuals. However much this is a roleplaying  game, it can be very difficult for many of us to wrap our heads around blatant racism/speciesism being the dominant viewpoint, and something that is probably a survival skill for most people in the game world ("aw, we should be accepting and friendly to this new dark el*shiv*..."), especially when it is not reinforced by the larger PC community.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 01:23:22 am »
But the ongoing legacy of this campaign is the framework that the Dragon Called characters operated from, and the example that they continue to set, particularly in regard to dealings with traditionally-antagonistic-race characters; it isn't a clean slate.

I suppose this is the main point I fundamentally disagree with. There are -grown men and women- who were born after the Dragon who Called everyone was dead and rotting, and the legacy of the Dragoncalled had started to fade as the sun did.

Now, while there are still a few who're running around, the Dragoncalled are now stuff of legends, rather than reality. What's really hard to grasp on this side of the screen (rather than in the gameworld) is the passage of time; a week passes by in a day for us. Months, in weeks. Hundreds of thousands of people die every year, not even having lived so long as an RL year's time, in-game. The world turns on.

The Dark Ages fundamentally changed the face of Layonara, and the cultures therein; not necessarily in obvious, open ways, but more subtly, the survival of the individual slightly more important, goodwill a bit less bright for having known true suffering. The people of Layonara are jaded, cynical, and fearful. Mayhap not so much as one can point at a random man or woman and say, "There goes a person whose outlook is dimmer than it might've been in an earlier age," but overall, the world is recovering from one of its greatest hardships, and looking forward to another.

It is not a happy, friendly world, but rather a dangerous one. There should be even less reason to trust a stranger now than before; there is no central framework that individual characters are working on right out of the box. Perhaps some characters, who have been around a few dozen times, and have worldly experiences, will look at life a little differently; the old habits of the Dragoncalled die hard.

But there are no more Dragoncalled. There are only the veterans who once were; and certainly none of the new characters and random NPCs I've been talking about most of this time.

It shouldn't have been a clean slate to begin with, anyhow. If you see a lone dark elf, chances are that you'll think "spy," "scout," or "assassin." If you're a longtime friend of the Az'attan church, you might give them the chance to show their alliegence to the Redemptress, but... The automatic response for most, even those who've seen one or two decent members of a given "traditionally antagonistic race," should be instant hostility, even if it's not "I attack to kill it!" hostility, but rather "this is a dangerous thing; I need to be careful" hostility.

I point back to my Pastafarian Albino Amputees... Though let's pretend that these PAAs look just like velociraptors. I don't care if you get an entire city of PAAs together, and visit peacably with them... If you're not living with them for an extended period, the first instinct to a random velociraptor is going to be "Oh no! *Levels shotgun.* Don't even think about eating me."

EDIT: Another point has been made that I wholeheartedly agree with. It goes something along the lines of "you're an evil race, get over it."

While, taken out of context, this seems a bit... Shall we say, abrupt? I still agree with the sentiment behind it.

The entire PURPOSE behind the monstrous PCs seems, to me, to be able to play the shunned and hated outcast. If there were no monstrous races open for PCs, I can -GUARANTEE- that the attitudes towards "monsters" would continue to be the same as a random red-glowing goblin. There would be exceptions, yes, but these would be more often events in characters' lives, rather than the whole scope of a character's life. I.e. the difference between talking to this one goblin, and foregoing the killing of all goblins, ever.

The understanding in playing a monstrous race is that THE CHARACTER IS SEEN AS A MONSTER. That's what makes playing them so difficult. Taking that away, to me, ruins the entire point behind playing them. If all someone wanted was to play a mean-spirited elf, or even a criminal, why not just make a bloody elf? One doesn't have to be a Darkear to be reviled.

It just boggles my mind how anyone could be troubled, much less surprised, that monstrous races would be nearly categorically treated as monsters. It's rather a part of the bargain.

lonnarin

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:06 am »
Ideally perhaps, though the level of hostility is usually defined by the color of the text above them.  Most of the people I hear complaining about how drow should be attacked on sight are the very same people who dust off Alantha's bench when she sits down and offer to pour her a glass of lemonade, so to speak.  It's funny how in character racism only ever gets RPed when it's 8 on 1 vs. an effortless opponent, but suddenly we're ALL Azattans once the right click yeilds purple.  That's why the PVP rules are in place methinks.

If these people were so racist, how come they do chores for Milara?  Suddenly you have Lawful Good paladins arguing that they shouldn't go back on their promise to an evil evil drow, evil far beyond his race who has a dracolich on a leash.  Isn't there something in a paladin's code about consorting with evil people, and certainly about making promises to serve people with dracoliches on a leash?  I didn't see any bylines which said "but its ok to do chores for evil if their name is purple" in those codes of Lucinda, Rofirien and Toran.  I don't see anybody challenging a single one of the dark dwarves of Prantz to a fight, save for Varka.  Whenever Bjorn tries to recruit people to storm the place, they go pale and forgeArkolio's name on the sign-up sheet.  So willing to declare our hatred of dark dwarves we are, until its time to use the bank or crafthall.

Now if Milara was known to be level 4, oh sure, kill him on sight. ;)

stragen

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 02:03:48 am »
Quote from: Makashi
I infact recall a few months back, G'ork trying to travel with some people, and some one then stating that G'ork had been involved in a robbery, and so, had to make a run before the guards came along, and I didn't get to go adventurring! But! I was pleased when I got this response. The party had general concerns about G'ork travelling with them.

G'ork best keep running. *evil grin*

iceyfire

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 11:23:42 am »
Saira is almost always hidden for the fact that pretty much everytime she has revealed herself, someone has gone on a crusade to kill her :P, i accept it, i choose to play a dark elf so that i could break the mold a bit and play on the darker side of things, i like being CN, i like being able to shift my mind in a second to suit the mood of my character and her own demand in surviving above all others.

Get on her bad side :), lordy you best hope your deity saves you, she may have a bit of fun with you *Chuckles*.

jan

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 11:29:30 am »
Quote from: lonnarin
Ideally perhaps, though the level of hostility is usually defined by the color of the text above them.  Most of the people I hear complaining about how drow should be attacked on sight are the very same people who dust off Alantha's bench when she sits down and offer to pour her a glass of lemonade, so to speak.  It's funny how in character racism only ever gets RPed when it's 8 on 1 vs. an effortless opponent, but suddenly we're ALL Azattans once the right click yeilds purple.  That's why the PVP rules are in place methinks.

If these people were so racist, how come they do chores for Milara?  Suddenly you have Lawful Good paladins arguing that they shouldn't go back on their promise to an evil evil drow, evil far beyond his race who has a dracolich on a leash.  Isn't there something in a paladin's code about consorting with evil people, and certainly about making promises to serve people with dracoliches on a leash?  I didn't see any bylines which said "but its ok to do chores for evil if their name is purple" in those codes of Lucinda, Rofirien and Toran.  I don't see anybody challenging a single one of the dark dwarves of Prantz to a fight, save for Varka.  Whenever Bjorn tries to recruit people to storm the place, they go pale and forgeArkolio's name on the sign-up sheet.  So willing to declare our hatred of dark dwarves we are, until its time to use the bank or crafthall.

Now if Milara was known to be level 4, oh sure, kill him on sight. ;)

*grins wide*

Maybe no one attacks Alantha because they have heard about her powers ?
Maybe there are those that would be willing to join Bjorn and sack ( or at-least try )Prantz but are in such different time-zones that they cant ? ;)

I wouldn't mind getting a free-card in attacking and killing any spellslinger that travels onto Warrior's Ridge .

If any one can give me a good reason why one that is relying on the weave travels to that place then i am more then curious to hear it .

rp doesn't start or end with races , it also involves type of chars and skills that character excels in .

No magic using character in his or her right mind , not send there by forces stronger and profound , in my eyes would willingly go into an area that strips them off everything they have spend years study and praying on .

Gulnyr

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:42 pm »
Quote from: jan
I wouldn't mind getting a free-card in attacking and killing any spellslinger that travels onto Warrior's Ridge .

If any one can give me a good reason why one that is relying on the weave travels to that place then i am more then curious to hear it .

rp doesn't start or end with races , it also involves type of chars and skills that character excels in .

No magic using character in his or her right mind , not send there by forces stronger and profound , in my eyes would willingly go into an area that strips them off everything they have spend years study and praying on .

That seems short-sighted.  There are as many reasons for a Wizard to go somewhere he can't cast spells as there are for a Weapon Master to go places he can't kill things.  There's more to it than what you can cast a spell or swing a sword at.

You've got me totally confused why it should be open season on any caster who travels there.

ArthurMcStorm

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 01:07:56 pm »
I've really held off on posting this here.. not so much as to cause problems just as I wanted to really think it through..

On a OOC Level as a player who has played in multiple NWN PW's something that I find EXTREMELY hard to get used to is PC's playing alternate raises, I.E. Orc's, Drow etc. and ACTUALLY behaving like they are supposed to. Every PW I've ever been in beside this one the orc likes humans helps humans etc.. heck I've played in one PW where there was a Female Orc that handed out flowers like a beatnick at woodstock.

What I am saying is for those who have been playing in other Mods who are used to seeing these races arent used to the fact that an orc can and is supposed to be bad. I'll tell you when the individual in question in the hempstead fields started threatening my PC. I was a bit blow away at first then my wife had to throw stuff at me cause I was sitting my chair yelling at the screen

"ROCK ON! AN EVIL PC ORC ABOUT BLOODY TIME!"

And often for the those who enjoy Roleplay over Player vs. Player many are not willing to openly PVP. specially if they have been some where were its abused and they have been abused by it.

Needless to say I'm getting into the whole badguy pc thing and used to it. and Like it. If your an Orc you should want to bash in skulls, Unless your history proclaims other wise. nothing wrong with that either but your RP better be backing it up and believably so. Same with any other typically evil race. My PC has meet a couple of Drow who he didnt know where drow and based off their actions until they show him they are he would never guess and actually would vouch for them if need be. Now.. like last night when he learned that one was a drow what did he do? He put drew his blade at them.. but after talking things where worked out.

Simple thing is for me its getting used to things..

Now.. as far as a Character in game.. My PC is a Dragon Called. probably one of the few left. When I first started playing him one of the biggest draws to come to layonara was the if our a PC playing an orc/evil type race your bad. The only time my PC ever saw a bad race was fighting it. and the one time I ran into a drow female type. who turned out to not be that bad as far as liking wise but when the naive fighter type wasn't around it was found later was a murderous deceiving evil wench! and it was GREAT!

I know through reading up on Layo's history that at one point regardless of race etc. you all had to work together.. but for my pc. evil is evil is dead.

Last night we had a situation near Hlint where two orcs came up hunting the weirdest thing I've ever seen in a PW. they called it a 'horse' well one party member wanted to talk to them. so .. we let them here comes another orc and attacks the 'horse' character. a few of us jumped after the orcs slaying the one only to fail to slay the other before it dropped our party member.. and even through it all.. some PC's still wanted to talk to the orc killer.. and as it was walking away and a friendly reminder that it was ok to attack the bad guy from a DM. my pc did. got his buttocks handed to him and saved by some other PC's that assisted but in the end it lead to some great RP about evil being evil regardless of race. and.. some races you just kill on sight for a reason.

Just my .1 true on the matter.. cant afford anything more then that!

Drizzlin

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 04:09:22 pm »
Apologies for backtracking a bit. However, for clarification:

Until they have meet said random orc/goblin/giant/dark elf, RP has been exchanged, and they find them to be "is okay". Once that has occurred, there is the steady erosion of traditionally antagonistic behaviours. That last sentence is the point I am trying to make.

I am coming from the traditionally antagonistic race character point of view, and whom they would RP with.

They are all evil, except for the ones that the characters are meeting. However, it is those ones that the characters are spending the most time with. The characters are not RPing with the "poster children of evil", but the non-hostile loner who is trying to make friends. They color the characters' experience of the traditionally antagonistic race, and cause the erosion of of traditionally antagonistic behaviours.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

I agree with you on a lot of regards Script. I happen to be one of the "evil" races and I do my best to RP him in the image that Layo meant for his race to be. This discussion has comes up a lot over the last 4 years. A good bit of us pushed/requested for the changes that the team came up with to try and "force" or set "guidelines" for how the monster races should be played. One of the biggest changes, that I love and use to argue for all the time, was starting alignments for the monster races to be non-good.

Before the changes were made, you had a ratio of like 10 to 1 for the amount of good played monster races vs traditional non-good monster races. Back then it was easy to point the finger at the team and say that something needed to be done to prevent the approval of good aligned monster races. The team made the changes and now it is up to us as players. If you see a monster race, do what your pc would do, but we as players have to make sure we hold true to the stereo types set by the team for each race. That doesn't mean we can not become friends with monster races, it just should take time and be very rare. There are exceptions to every thing, but again, they need to be rare.

The team has done what they can and set some great guidelines and requirments on how to play the monster races. It is up to the players to follows those and our responsiblity to uphold them.

Drizzlin

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 04:19:01 pm »
Quote from: ArthurMcStorm
I've really held off on posting this here.. not so much as to cause problems just as I wanted to really think it through..

On a OOC Level as a player who has played in multiple NWN PW's something that I find EXTREMELY hard to get used to is PC's playing alternate raises, I.E. Orc's, Drow etc. and ACTUALLY behaving like they are supposed to. Every PW I've ever been in beside this one the orc likes humans helps humans etc.. heck I've played in one PW where there was a Female Orc that handed out flowers like a beatnick at woodstock.

What I am saying is for those who have been playing in other Mods who are used to seeing these races arent used to the fact that an orc can and is supposed to be bad. I'll tell you when the individual in question in the hempstead fields started threatening my PC. I was a bit blow away at first then my wife had to throw stuff at me cause I was sitting my chair yelling at the screen

"ROCK ON! AN EVIL PC ORC ABOUT BLOODY TIME!"

Where are all these orcs people are talking about?? I never have the fun of running into them =P Are they half orcs that people are calling orcs? As far as being one of the few dragon called, there are still a good bit of us out there. I personally do not bring it up due to the in game time that has passed, however as a Dark Elf, my pc might still be alive, but i'm not sure of the exact ingame time that has passed since then.

I just let the whole dragon called thing go so that the staff doesn't lay down some smack and make us start over or something, since our pcs would have died of old age a long time ago! =)

Falonthas

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
now i will chiime in here cause i have two of the reviled playing flip sides of the coin

and who i play at the time not to mention while my main is sitting in jail for murder, i guess i play three reviled ones comes to think
when im in a happy go lucky mood as a player
i grab spider and i wander around as a kitten and just have fun not being evil but a drow druid, unheard of
some if they saw me would cut me to shreds and thats fine
some those dragoncalled kids he runs with have half drow cousins they grew up with so hes more relaxed in their company

to some spider is just a dark druid sort who is always hooded and cloaked

to others they know his blood and even some dragoncalled know and they dont hold that past as he serves the oak

now
you want reviled
ill give you reviled
Phaeyr on the other side of the coin, is when i have had the worst possible day, and need to be a cynical sob
he gives paladins indigestion
he sends headaches to the toranites
though they dont know him by more then the collector or charles
they cant stand him
and as such when he dies getting caught in the middle of a broken line of fighters
is it a surprise he is left for dead to rot
not at all
and unless some of the rather non goodies who ride the fence from time to time were present i expect to be dead the whole time

he is immoral, remorseless and will fil any contract for the right price
why
he is a drow who got sick of being a peon below, and he went to find greener pastures
a surface full of people who some welcome him with open arms
they died
and those who threaten to vaporise him if he gets to close to cause gut wrenching body pain
surprise they are alive

why cause he cant think of killing them yet, but maybe in time

if i wanted to play another dragoncalled i have one who has been sitting in his shrub for a year and a half i made as a original backup to drogo

not yet his time will come

for now i enjoy being able to play to suit my mood, and let others have fun being who they are too
you hate the darkie fine hes worth hating
 but dont go into an alley alone without your spells ready

and those who run with spider
hes slow to befriend anyone
but he wont forget who sheds blood beside him and doesnt leave like his blod kin had so many decades before

be mean to the drow, until you learn otherwise
why cause your suposed to
and one day it might save you in the alley

jan

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 08:59:55 am »
Quote from: Gulnyr
That seems short-sighted.  There are as many reasons for a Wizard to go somewhere he can't cast spells as there are for a Weapon Master to go places he can't kill things.  There's more to it than what you can cast a spell or swing a sword at.

You've got me totally confused why it should be open season on any caster who travels there.

I'm sorry if it confused you , the spellslingers going to places they are as weak as puppies was just an example .

And yes , a WeaponMaster going to places he is as weak as a newborn puppy is also something a character like that wouldn't do without a GOOD reason .

Weaponmasters in particular are forced to put points in intelligence and should therefor know better , i cant say what stats are used to play a spellslinger type but i would suspect either intelligence or wisdom being one of them .

Over the years i read and heard a lot of people complaining about the rp and mostly ( like every-one i myself do that as-well ) about OTHERS characters that are played wrong .

The interaction with other characters is usually not what is complained about , but more what a character does for his/herself that is frowned upon .
( or rather : what a character is UNWILLING to do for another character )

This behavior has lead and will always lead to players knit together to only those they know and therefor will always result in newer players only meeting the other new players or the older ones that already have untied themselves from the groups they used to be in and while in them totally ignoring others until they are strong/powerful/useful enough to play with , with the exceptions of quests of-course .

If you look at the example of the spellslinger in a NON-magical zone , or the weaponmaster in the area he cant hurt a creature then you get a small glimpse of how to totally make your own character a joke .

This can be expanded to most things on the server .

A quest ( plot or not ) a call for aid by a faith that is at best unfriendly towards your own faith , but still a character shows up .
( done that myself and was like most : " i need the exp and its the place to find rp " )

A nature-lover being one off the best in tailoring or wood-crafting .
(tried some tailoring myself , the amount of skins needed is simply too big to stuff it away as " it were all deceased animals " )

A character that isn't able to mine going to places that only have things to mine in them .

A pacifist running into battle first .

All things that , if looked to from an outside point off view , are strange rp to say the least .

Again . I'm not aiming to any one in particular , just giving examples of things i myself find strange in the otherwise good rp of characters here.

Gulnyr

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:25 pm »
Okay, I understand the point now.  Thanks.

A caster going to a no-magic area alone might be pretty weird, but if he is with a group...  Well, more possibilities there.  Maybe he's there to toss potions in case of trouble while they explore, even if he's reluctant to go, because he's Good and doesn't want them to be in any more trouble than they have to be.  And who knows, maybe he can try to learn why the Weave has a hole in it while he's there.  

I agree that some people do things that seem really out of character, like a pacifist charging, or a Rofireinite suggesting to threaten a ship captain's life to force him to sail somewhere he doesn't want to, hey? *nudge, nudge*  

But not everything that seems wrong necessarily is.  We don't necessarily know why other people are doing what they are doing, and a polite PM later might help clear up the confusion or set them on a better path (were they slipping).  While everyone should try hard to consider the sense behind their characters' actions, we shouldn't become overly critical when people falter now and then.  And while I certainly appreciate the tight RP rules, I don't think they are so draconian that someone can't have an off day without punishment or can't have their mage go explore some neat no-magic zone; just carry an RP reason on the trip with you and don't overdo it.

jan

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 02:01:07 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
Okay, I understand the point now.  Thanks.

A caster going to a no-magic area alone might be pretty weird, but if he is with a group...  Well, more possibilities there.  Maybe he's there to toss potions in case of trouble while they explore, even if he's reluctant to go, because he's Good and doesn't want them to be in any more trouble than they have to be.  And who knows, maybe he can try to learn why the Weave has a hole in it while he's there.  

I agree that some people do things that seem really out of character, like a pacifist charging, or a Rofireinite suggesting to threaten a ship captain's life to force him to sail somewhere he doesn't want to, hey? *nudge, nudge*  

But not everything that seems wrong necessarily is.  We don't necessarily know why other people are doing what they are doing, and a polite PM later might help clear up the confusion or set them on a better path (were they slipping).  While everyone should try hard to consider the sense behind their characters' actions, we shouldn't become overly critical when people falter now and then.  And while I certainly appreciate the tight RP rules, I don't think they are so draconian that someone can't have an off day without punishment or can't have their mage go explore some neat no-magic zone; just carry an RP reason on the trip with you and don't overdo it.

I agree on the "off-day " theory and like i said before , i'm not the best rp er out there so i too make mistakes ;)

I more started to answer to point out what was on the bottom of my first post .

READ UP ON YOUR CHARACTER AND FAITH AND RP ACCORDINGLY TO IT :)

Ondioline~

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 06:57:35 pm »
    Please forgive a comment from a very casual player (who will be coming back soon as soon as my job ends)...  

Speaking purely as a player (not for my various characters) I formed my own stereotypes based on my experiences.  One is that monster characters were almost always played as cuddly and "wuvable", more often than not and whether they know it or not aiming to be Lennie from Of Mice and Men.  Another is that elves are best avoided, as they were the most likely to be stuck-up pains to deal with in character and out, at least lower-level ones.  Your mileage may vary and of course there are many exceptions but that was my general impression.  Thus whether it was "correct" RP or not I tending to be attracted to grouping with that bumbling but friendly Half Giant instead of the new haughty elf because it was just more, well, fun.  

There's another factor, too, which is that we all live in a very PC real world where racism is a huge taboo.  That's a good thing, but it's hard for many of us to play racist in the game, particularly when we don't see evidence of why we should be so in the general storytelling.  There's a pretty simple solution to this problem, in my opinion..  If people are being too friendly to orcs, teach them a lesson.  Send the friendliest orc their way, have them cuddle and coddle it, and then when the time is right have the orc double cross them in a cruel and violent way.  Turns out it was a scout and his vicious tribe was following not far behind, something like that.  They'll learn.  If the monster races are being played as too friendly then they need to face some adversity to beat them down.  Maybe NPC patrols on the trails to harass them, etc.  I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but people do have to be trained a bit to hate and fear.  

Anyway, the most evil and unpleasant villains have always been humans and near-humans.  Orcs and goblins may be cruel thugs who ambush you on the highways but should they really be feared more than that shady human who may be a Corathite able to summon a Balor?  Note that this probably doesn't apply to Drow, or say an army of well-trained orcs, but that scraggly band by the side of the road may not be the biggest thing to fear in a very hostile fantasy world. Considering how many members of the "good" races are just as cruel at heart as any monster, and able to attain considerably more power while blending in to society, I would think most characters should be played as really not trusting anyone...

From what I've seen the playerbase here is more than willing to bend over backwards to give the DMs what they want, and are extremely quick (and hungry!) to pick up storylines-- unfortunately it's not always clear what the DMs want, and the storytelling will often drift not to what it perhaps has been envisioned to be, but what the group of players who happens to inhabit the world at the time make it to be.  The one thing I never really liked about this server (and don't get me wrong because I like almost every thing else) is the tendency to reprimand the general playerbase for perceived problems much like this, when in my opinion it could easily be resolved in the game itself with great storytelling to boot.

Varka

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 07:37:21 pm »
    to Ondioline: You have PC orcs and NPC orcs. there is a difference. Players act different on them.