The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: RIP: Lloyd Alexander  (Read 80 times)

lonnarin

RIP: Lloyd Alexander
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:06:42 pm »
The author responsible for the Chronicles of Prydain died today, finally succumbing to cancer.  He was legendary for his works of Fantasy, a frequent Newbery Medal winner and staple reading for young and old.  I myself was a huge fan of his growing up, and kept a correspondance with him in the 3rd grade way back around 18 years ago.  It takes a certain kind of selfless author to actually sit down and personally type up responses to his readership's fanmail; his encouragement was largely responsible for my obsession with literature and the fantasy genre today.  He'll be sorely missed, but at 83 years old he truly lived a long and illustrious life and will be remembered for generations to come.

Gurgi's crunchings and munchings will not be forgotten.

LynnJuniper

Re: RIP: Lloyd Alexander
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:08:38 pm »
Are you SERIOUS!?

Jeez....

I will always remember Lloyd Alexander. My teacher Mr. V in 8th grade Read us the 1st and 5th of the Prydain Chronicles. Ill always remember that because he even did the voices, including Gurgi's Crunchies and Munchies. and Eilonwy super fast ditz talk. He would even call me Eilonwy even after I got out of his class because I talked in the same way. *smiles* I loved the books so much though that I went and got everything in between and read them within two weeks with my friends. He wrote some amazing things. And I still go back to them and read through bits to this day.

Rest in Peice Lloyd Alexander, you'll always have a place in the hearts of many.

EDIT: Whoah though, the news said he died in Drexel hill PA...that's less than a half hour from where I live, I didn't know he lived so close...

Joyrock

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:15:59 pm »
    Indeed he will be missed, when I was around 3rd grade I loved all his works, with such a passion. his works gave me the love for books I have today, I probly read a thousand or more, and it all started with his works.

Gunther

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:36:31 pm »
    I recall reading his books in grade school as well.  All my author heroes are dying off.  Very sad that no one has ever stepped in to fill their shoes.

anything