The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Second Edition Layonara Campaign Handbook released!  (Read 844 times)

Etinfall

RE: Second Edition Layonara Campaign Handbook released!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 12:39:00 pm »
you can take the file into any print shop and have it printed. Just have them rotate the few pages that are landscape.

if you get it in color it can get pretty expensive. roughly $.79-$.99 per color page where black and white are around $.06 to $.09 per page. To coil bind it would cost around 4 to 5 dollars.

You can have them booklitize it on 8.5x11 inch paper. This would basically put 2 pages on each side of an 8.5xll, then fold in in half so you have a booklet. That would be a  little cheaper. About half the cost.

Well, now I have to go to work. And repeat that 20 times tonight to customers.

See ya,

Etinfall

General_Ski

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
    Awesome guide. Outstanding job guys. Thank you. I was awestruck, great detail and effort. I was especially impressed with the detail the deities, and in particular Lucinda, have been described. It made me think even more about my submitted halfling worshipper of Lucinda, and reconsider quiet a few things, luckliy, I did not create that character and most likely will not, since he would not fit my current conceptions of what I'd like to achieve with it.

Sakura

• View Profile
      « Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
      Beautiful, I'm thinking about taking it to like Kinko's and have it printed. :)

NitaThompson

• View Profile
        « Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
        GhostWhoWalks - 8/17/2005  2:51 AM

Yeah, a lot of people that started a while back are much older... it makes my head explode sometimes.

You don't even want to know how old Ta'k is now. :\\

Now Ghost... we dont get older ;-)    We just get better with time.   Quintayne swears that he is not a day over 30 even now.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
          • View Profile
        « Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 07:19:00 pm »
        Now Ghost... we dont get older ;-)    We just get better with time.   Quintayne swears that he is not a day over 30 even now.

Heh. Well... I just try not to think about it. Things start to break when you do. Like the idea that named NPC's are probably in their 60's or later. It's sometimes better to just pretend none of that exists.

But yeah, Ta'k gets better with time. I actually had to sit down and figure out why a while back. I mean... he is old now. I figured Dorand's keeping him strong, because Ta'ks role isn't done. Once he does whatever he's suspossed to for Dorand, he'll be a regular old man again. Until then, he's still able to bench press an ox or two. Hehe.

Etinfall

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 10:57:00 pm »
        Sakura,

I printed mine at work. After hours too. So I printed it in color and on really high end paper. Hey, why not...I am the boss now...*evil laugh* err on of them at least. It looks great. I coil bound it to. Fantastic job guys.

I am working on a file of just the maps. I am going to print them out on 11x17. Be nice to have handy.

Etin

again, supurb job. To all those who helped.

Edit:oh, I work at a print shop, that is how I knew the prices.

s0ulz

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
        This is absolutely awesome!

Sakura

• View Profile
          « Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
          Etinfall - 8/17/2005  10:57 PM
          I printed mine at work. After hours too. So I printed it in color and on really high end paper.
          oh, I work at a print shop, that is how I knew the prices.

Hehe rub it in... I don't work and I don't have a printer! (Sakura = Stay at home mother)

Sakura

ZeroVega

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
          Sakura + Worlds Cutest Baby + Computer + Insanty = Stay at home mom + Mad Quest Runner
            (Those algebraic problems eh? Mess you up every time)

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
          Soo, cole, what you're saying is that it would cost like $40 to have it printed 8.5x11 and $20 to have it bookletized (if that is indeed a word) at 5.5x 8.5?

-TV

Etinfall

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
          Talan Va'lash - 8/18/2005  5:04 PM

Soo, cole, what you're saying is that it would cost like $40 to have it printed 8.5x11 and $20 to have it bookletized (if that is indeed a word) at 5.5x 8.5?

-TV

yes...the prices in austin are as follows.(this is where I work, some are a little higher and some are a little lower)

$.08 for each black and white side. (for a 2 sided page it would be $.16)
          $ .89 for each color side (2 sided page is $1.78)

double sided, ie. 1 page per side
          black and white would cost: 177 x $.16 = $28.32.
          color would cost: 177 x $1.78 = $315.06

if you 2 up it, ie. 2 pages per side
          black and white: 89 x $.16 = $14.24
          color:  89 x $1.78 = 158.42

Now that is printing them all in color. Even pages that have no color in them. My suggestion would be to go through and pick the pages you definitely want in color and print just those in color and the rest in black and white. But to have a printer insert them would cost some more money, we charge $.25 per insertion. So just have the certain pages printed in color and the rest in black and white. Insert them your self and then have the printer bind it. We charge $4 to $5 to bind something that large.

A problem with 2 up ing something that large(number of pages) is that you really cant fold it into a book(booklitize, word or not we use that term. hehe). but you can have it bound with a coil bind or a comb bind. I prefer coil, the comb binds don't turn as nice.

I need to say the color pages look great. The images look fantastic. At-least have the cover printed in color.

does that help? Maybe I can take orders and have them printed then fed ex them out. With my discounts it would be pretty cheap.

Etinfall

edit: typo

Grid Blader

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
          I would buy one from you..  Dont have a printer, and the copy store around here is a lot more then your prices.....  

Death is just one part of life, and in that part of life we all have are roles to play...

Leanthar

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005, 04:25:00 pm »
          I am looking in to a possible printing solution. Please give me a little bit before deciding to go this route (though I do think it is cool you are offering this option). I would really like to use this to get a little bit of "donation" money for the server... $250-$345 a month (hosting/bandwidth cost) gets mighty expensive.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 12:16:00 am »
          I definitely vote for a smaller (footprint) book, like 5.5x8.5 or something.

I've done a lot of publication formating for marketing before, and the handbook is formated as an online document right now.  Printed documents never have margins that big or type faces that large (due to the high cost of printing 5000 copies of something heh.)

Also to make an economic printable version it might be wise to create (on some pages at least) a wide margin/column and put the poems and excerpts from other sources there, instead of making them larger and giving them their own page.

-TV