The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: So far....so bad...  (Read 152 times)

So far....so bad...
« on: November 10, 2005, 03:50:00 am »
Well I've been IG about half a dozen times, out of about a dozen folks I've seen, RP'd with 3 of them (thanks Axe, Sil & Mara). Broke two axes, and on my first encounter with a carpenters tool, broke it! Never even got to fail at making something with it. I am now broke (again) & tired of fishing to get 5g per batch of arrows.
The NPCs I've talked to want me to do things that appear a bit tuff for a 1st lvl (Gob scout ears & Lesser Darksoul essence?). Did one easy task for the postmaster, but his next delivery is on another continent! Am I doing something wrong? Im a bit frustrated at the moment...is this ones typical exp here on Layo?

J

J-ser

• Followers of Shadon
    • View Profile
RE: So far....so bad...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 04:07:00 am »
Alot of the tasks are a little to hard for level 1's, but you can always find a group to help you out. Not only will you get the tasks done, you *hopefuly* get to have some RP.

Rasterick

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 04:21:00 am »
*Points to J-ser's post* attempting low level quests on your own is suicide. Talk to folks, there are lots of new people joining all the time, and Im sure they would be only to willing to join up with you for these NPC quests. But you wont stay low level for long, the NPC quests are designed to ease you into the world, and get you to a reasonable level so you can contribute and enjoy the RP. And no, its not typical of ones experience here, everyone has good and bad days.

On the subject of tools breaking; there is a whole thread on this somewhere. They are notorious for being poorly made. I had three hits at a vein of copper with three different pick axes, broke all three; no copper. Then had one last me for ages. Luck of the dice Im afraid.

// Had a pick that I had for twenty years, only had ten new handles and twelve new heads..   ;)

orth

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 04:25:00 am »
You came up to Plen this morning and I told you where to find the carpenter's bench.  If you had all these concerns I wish you would have brought them up in game, I could have pointed you in many directions or perhaps even offered to guide you.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 04:40:00 am »
Thanks to all for the positive feedback. I however, did not attempt the obviously tuff missions the NPCs were offering, discretion being the better part of valor seemed appropriate.  If this is the wrong forum to speak upon this subject, my apologies. Admin please remove this thread if it is inappropriate.

J

ps. Orth, As for bringing up my concerns IG, I would like to think Im a considerate player and wouldnt want to ruin someones immersion, just to deal with my personal frustrations.You were in a conversation with another player, it would have been impolite to interrupt for more than the brief directions I sought. In the future I will remember your concerns, but will still retain my manners when it comes to interacting IC & OOC.

orth

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 04:46:00 am »
No no, you're misunderstanding me, I said I wish you had have taken your issues up in game because it would have been a fun opportunity to get off my keister and do something.  It's more than fine that you discuss things here as well.

As for being worried about intruding, please don't, if someone wishes to be left alone, they'll find an out of place area.

KageKeeper

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 06:13:00 am »
There are a great many people in game that would be very willing to help you, myself included. We all remember what it was like being new. All you need do is approach and ICly ask. If the character is involved with something else, more often then not, they will politely tell you they cannot help and will probably point you in the right direction.

Stick with it, you will be out and about in no time. :)

cappyra

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 06:34:00 am »
RP is the key.  Talk to people you meet IG or maybe say something like what you said here:

To no one inparticular but in earshot of other characters...

Blast!  Now I've gone an ruined my last set of tools.  How am I goin to get coin to buy equipment for adventuring!

Or approach other characters:

Say... I'm needin some work.  Got anything that needs done?

My character has on many occasions paid people to run errands or collect supplies in return for gold.  Hey picking corn is not glamorous but it will get you coin to but that equipment you need =)

Hope this helps.

Filatus

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 06:37:00 am »
Next time Daeron sees you he'll give you some work,.. since you made it clear you prefer not to fight, in those two occasions you were in a party with him.

I hope you like chopping wood. ;)

EDIT: Ahh.. your char isn't named Angelo.. only your account, got confused with Ne_er's char Angelo. Confusing.. well... whatever, go chop wood!

SquareKnot

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 06:48:00 am »
If you're having a hard time getting started in Layonara (and we all did), consider joining the "Orienteering" series of player run events. These are get togethers of low level characters new to the server designed to help ease people into Layonara.

See: http://layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19398

By the way, Ifion is at present carrying a full range of crafting tools, even some he can't use, just to help out people in your situation. Help _is_ out there :)

Leanthar

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 06:56:00 am »
Just so you know Angelo, I have completed the request in this post:
  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19231&posts=3

ThrainSil

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 08:42:00 am »
Look for a Ranger to help you deliver mail.  Definitely ask others for work.  I picked corn for about 6 RL hours and was very well rewarded.