The Layonara Community > General Discussion

speeling problams

<< < (4/4)

Ar7:

--- Quote ---ZeroVega - 3/15/2005  8:18 AM      I don't think anyone here is asking that people be perfect in their grammar. I think we're just asking that people not conciously write, "plez cna u ehlp me too geet sum baerly." If you see you've misspelled something take that extra second (yes it only takes that long) and go ahead and correct it. This IS just a game, however seeing huge spelling errors that could be evaded (things that the person obviously could have spotted) instantly snaps me out of the game.
  Please Sir, cna you help me to find soem barely? (That is an acceptable sentence, a period and a capitol letter, it's...) pleas sir cna u help me to find soem barly (that get's on my nerves)

--- End quote ---
 Could you show me a place on Layo forums where people write like this? I mean these forums here have a great level of grammar compaired to the internet overall. What's the big deal anyway, it's not like we are taking a test. The most important thing is that we understand each other, why nag about minor errors.

Fian Bearsark:
I'm glad somebody else posted on this subject before I did. I have a heck of a time understanding people's posts sometimes. Usually the first thing I do is look to see if they are from another country or seem to be originally from another country. If this appears to be the case I give them great lee-way in their grammar.

I think if people would just take the time to read over what they wrote posts would improve greatly. It's simply about conveying your thoughts accurately and efficiently. In-game as Talan said I don't mind misspellings and such, since it is usually an issue of typing speed and action in the game. Most people also correct misspellings in-game as well.

I don't think it is too much to ask on a public forum to try and make yourself clearly understood if you expect administrators to help you with a problem or you are seeking advice from other players.

ZeroVega:
To Ar7:
    That last post of mine was about IC stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people type, lol/plz/u/r and that's lazy. I've also seen people neglect to type their name in capitol letters, and that's just annoying (I know I'm weird).
    As for people typing like that on the forum I can't name many who do (I think that's mainly because you can type as slow as you feel like) however (and I mean you no offence) take a look at most of Gloin's posts. They really kinda stink in the gramatical sense (we love you ya big fart!).
    Anyway, all we're saying is if you can take a few extra seconds in a post/tell in game or otherwise to correct a typo that you recognized right away. Why not? If you know that something is wrong why not go ahead and fix it? Is there a really good reason not to? "now even the internet has grammar" Sorry Ruffy, but that just doesn't cut the cake for me. That's like saying well I know this reletive well enough he won't mind if I don't use capitol letters or periods, or commas, or proper spellings will he? Just cause there are some freaky internet lingo speed typers out there who feel their times is to precious that they don't need to abide by the general rules of English doesn't mean people need to start lowering their standards for what they feel comfortable reading. (Sorry if that sounds like a bash, just thinkin out loud, why NOT spell things correctly?)
  ZV-

Murgleys:
HA... I was wondering how long it would take for someone to find a spelling error of mine somewhere.  All I can say is, is what I said before.  Yes, I get lazy and lapse, too.  Or perhaps I just mistyped it (since I do in fact, know the correct spelling of acerbic (lol... and even as I typed it here, I added the "s" again)).  And, for the record, I have never, ever policed anyone's spelling or grammar in any forum or via pm anywhere, at anytime and I never will.  That's just uncool to the nth degree.  This was simply a request that perhaps people take a few moments to check what they've written and make corrections.  As to grammar, well, I'm not a big stickler but sometimes the really eroneous mistakes, like improper use of your and you're, for example, rankles a bit.
Edited... I finished this quickly because I had a class and you'll notice a mistake in spelling somewhere... But I came back to check my message and, lo, there is a speeling problam.  I DO make mistakes, the same as everyone else, but I do try and make an effort to check myself.  It's your choice, as always.  Do it or not, but you should be aware that some people take a certain amount of pride in their usuage of their language and it is offensive to a small degree to see it ... "abused", if you'll permit, without even the knowledge that they are abusing it.  That's why I "wince", btw.

Philip of Altdorf:
ooooohhhhhhhh yes.
I am so glad I am not the only person to find spelling an issue.

I do appreciate that it is irritating in the extreme to be asked to concentrate on how thinks are written.  But as there is no body language or facial expressions to give clues to meaning all we have are the words.

If reading a post is more difficult than it was to write, then why should anyone bother?  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version