The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Spell question  (Read 766 times)

Catzy

• View Profile
    Spell question
    « on: May 09, 2005, 07:13:00 am »
    Has there been any changes to Isaacs greater missile storm?

I have tried to found anything about it with no luck. The thing is that I as a lvl 16 wiz only fired off 8 missiles. I have just recived the spell and sofar it didnt work as hoped. Used two empowered Isaacs greater to be able to kill an already wounded huge griphon, not as good as I was hoping for.

I think it will be usefull anyway so I dont need it changed, but I want to be able to us it to its fullest1!

Sando Aseph

Catzy

• View Profile
      RE: Spell question
      « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:30:00 am »
      Strangelly I tried the spell on  some giants now and on a pack of wolves..

Fired off 8 missiles on the wolfs witch killed 4 of them, after that I tried it on giants one at the time.
      On the giants I fired off as I saw 3-9 missiles strangelly enough, different every time. Why this difference in missiles?  

Spell description says 1 missile/ per caster lvl and that each missile do 2d6 in damage(empowered should then do 2d6*1.5 if I understand it correct).

What have I missed....

Sando

orth

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
      Yes it has been changed, a long long time ago, the Bioware default you get your level in missiles.  20 2d6 missiles for a level 6 spell with no save was way too much for this world.  I'm not sure if Leanthar or the balancers are interested in upping the missile count. Maybe they'll chime in.  The cap is 8 now. Used to be 20.

Catzy

• View Profile
        « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 07:43:00 am »
        Ok thanks for the quick responce, but how come that I sometime casts less than 8 missiles? Am I moving to fast after I have fired them off or?

Sando

//Damn I took the spell instead of a lvl 8 spell  :(,
        hoped I could damage the "primal elemental"

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:24:00 am »
        It might make sense do make it 1 missle every 2 caster levels up to 10 missiles, that way it still improves up to level 20 and isnt as good as it gets when you first are able to cast it (as would be the case if it is 1 missle per level up to 8 missiles since it would max out at level 8 and you dont get it untill level 11/12 for wizard/sorc.)

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
        Catzy - 5/9/2005  9:30 AM

Strangelly I tried the spell on  some giants now and on a pack of wolves..

Fired off 8 missiles on the wolfs witch killed 4 of them, after that I tried it on giants one at the time.
        On the giants I fired off as I saw 3-9 missiles strangelly enough, different every time. Why this difference in missiles?  

Spell description says 1 missile/ per caster lvl and that each missile do 2d6 in damage(empowered should then do 2d6*1.5 if I understand it correct).

What have I missed....

Sando

Seems like I've seen some of the multiple-target missile spells (flame brand comes to mind) look as if there were fewer missiles when in reality they just overlapped due to having fewer targets than missiles.  They still hit the same but there's the appearance of fewer missiles on-screen. Could be part of your confusion.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
          • View Profile
        « Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
        Firebrand fires one missle per enemsy up to caster level or somthing along thouse lines... if there are 2 enemys and you toss out a firebrand it will only shot 2 missles no more no less

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
        *slaps forehead* D'oh...that's right.....

hehe....oops. :)

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
          • View Profile
        « Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:39:00 pm »
        It should fire a max of 20 missles, but a max of 8/creature.

The original spell would allow someone to unload 40d6 damage against a single target if there was just a single target in the area.

The spell should be limiting that to 16d6 now, which is in line with other spells of that level.

If there are more than 2 creatures, there should still be more than 8 missiles firing. Should being the word. It was one of the first spells we ever changed, and no one has said it wasn't working as intended.

Catzy

• View Profile
          « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 07:15:00 am »
          I have as maximum seen that 9 damaged targets eventhough there where atleast 8 targets close to each other.

I will try the spell more but what I have seen yet its not working correct for me.

Sando aseph..

Catzy

• View Profile
            « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 08:19:00 am »
            Tried it again. Damaged two giants with 8 missiles, a few times..Used the spell atleast 6 times and not a single time I damaged the targets with more than 8 missiles.

As it is right now its a little to bad...

Compared to firebrand where I can hit multiple targest and do like 40 in damage to each target, I do with Isaacs greater missile storm normally a total of 60 in damage(8 missiles)(or 6 normal damage per missile * 8 missiles= 48). Eventhough I would fire of 16 missiles its not even close to as good as firebrand.

Please take a look at this spell or let me change it to another one..

Sando Aseph

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
              • View Profile
            « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
            Firebrand allows a save. IGMS does not. Which means things with evasion are going to be able to take half to no damage. IGMS does not cause that check.

Firebrand is firebased which a lot of creatures are immune to. IGMS is magic damage which nearly nothing is immune to.

IGMS is primarily designed to deal good damage to a couple of targets which is not going to be resisted, saved, evaded or dodged.

Firebrand is primarily designed to deal good fire damage to multiple targets, but is able to be saved against, resisted, dodged, evaded and otherwise absorbed.

Both are useful and viable based on the circumstances.

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:42:00 am »
            What Ghost said.  Both have their uses.

Catzy

• View Profile
              « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
              Well the thing is that the damage on several foes are not that good.
              No save against it is good but the creatures that resist magic or fire, often is higher lvl creatures. if you do 12 (4d6) in damaged to four foes they wont get seriously hurt. (8 missiles seem to be maximum for me now strangely).
              Even 24 in damage dont seriously damage many creatures.(16 missiles to 4 foes)

Hope I can change that spell(It is not so easy to buy a scroll for a lvl 8 spell as I took it instead)

Sando Aseph

ZeroVega

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
              Catzy,
                  The spell wasn't overpowered when facing 4-5 foes, where it get's blown waaaaay above it's spell level is when you're going one on one. I'm a level 15 wizard, if things were the way they were way back when I'd be rocketing off 15 missiles at 2d6 damage each, that's a maximum of 160 damage to a single target a minimum of 30 (still awsome). People were dropping dragons (I remember one that people would drop easily) powerful wizards, powerful golems, and reaping the rewards of things that they would not be able to beat without that seriously over powered spell. Perhaps if it did 2d6 damage, per missile, and 1 missile every two levels to a maximum of 20. And a maximum of 8 missiles per target (only one or two target and get the extras to fizzle out like firebrand). Still look at it though, 8 Missiles from this spell at 2d6 damage, is still better against a Primal than 10 missiles at 1d6 damage.
                ZV- 

Catzy

• View Profile
                « Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
                I sooo want to beat that primal but I wont be able to do it doing 48 in damage 4 times and 72 in damage 4 times... I think...

Sando.

ZeroVega

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 02:43:00 pm »
                Catzy,
                    We both know why the primal is there, to keep people from gaining massive amounts of diamonds. And we both know that one person shouldn't be able to beat the sucker alone. But I'm afraid you're looking at it all the wrong way... there are plenty of ways to take it down if you want to. Empower Spell, Maximize, and Quicken will help you to deal more damage, and allow you to cast more of those oh so vital, magical damage spells.
                    I don't think you'll see any changes to this spell as far as how many missiles will hit one target, then again, it was vastly overpowered before, and was changed to balance wizards (which was definatly a good move). Be creative, wizards are still the most powerful class out there, so get creative and use all the resources at your command! Bwahaha!

Catzy

• View Profile
                  « Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
                  Somehow, someday I will get him...the primal :)

I understand that it ws overpowerfull before but right now it doesnt even function correctlly  for me.
                  Maybe its a bugreport but the spell description is wrong to.

Still hoping I would be able to change that choice I took at lvl 16(scrolls at that lvl is expensive)
                  ... If it is dead cause, just say so.

Sando

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
                  I just got hit with some sort of missle storm by an ogre mage.  It did about 90 damage... so... yeah... ouch

Catzy

• View Profile
                    « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
                    DAMN WHY CANT I!!!!

Sando.