The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: spells  (Read 433 times)

spells
« on: August 25, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
If I was to use an area effect spell, and someone was in the blast, would it be a counted as attacking the other player? and can you get banned if it happens?

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
RE: spells
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
Kinda depends on if it was on purpose or not and if it happens often.

As a spell caster part of your job is learning when to use AE spells and when to use targeted spells.

There's a learning curve of course... but if you managed to kill someone on accident while there may not be a banning, there would be some sort of ingame punishment.
You would have just killed another person. It wouldn't be murder, but involuntary manslaughter or something. Probably would be a jail term or a fee paid to the person's family for costs and expenditures to raise that person.

And so on.

Try to watch what you cast and when and it shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 03:22:00 am »
ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure. Does seem abit stupid though. The most powerful spells are area affect spells, so it kind of seems stupid that the wizards are restricted to what spells they use and when due to fear of killing someone.

Zhofe

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 03:26:00 am »
Not restricted, just have to thing better of the idea. It means the party has to use tactics, and the wizard waits for the right time, making him much more effective inthe long run.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 03:28:00 am »
I see. But it makes me worry more, that I might end up blowing some poor guy up. Because of that I may not cast my most powerful spells. I suppose it takes practise.

Acacea

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 03:43:00 am »
It's the kind of thing your character should be worrying about, though, as he/she wouldn't be wanting to engulf the room in flames while his friends are still in the room, right? Unless he really hated them. It's like quietly pressing the self destruct button and telling everyone you'll "be right back" and leaving them in the building.

Maybe it's nothing like that. But it sounded good just before I typed it.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 03:48:00 am »
haha yeah i get what you mean. It is a RPing server anyways, so it aims for realism. I will be sure to keep an eye on what I cast.
It should be good fun, still working on ways to RP my character though, since he's meant to be a silent character.  :)
oh well, thanks for the help, its appreciated.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 03:50:00 am »
It takes Practice and some healing kits ,but you can learn to aim with AOEs.

Diamondedge

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 03:52:00 am »
Yeah, Acacea... I don't think you're allowed over at Turor's house anymore... You... scare me now. :)

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 03:53:00 am »
I will be sure to practise with someone a lot stronger than me. That way theres no chance of me killing them  :) .
What is the PVP setting on this server? Do area effect spells effect those in your party? or just those not in your party?

could be usefiul to know, that way i wouldn't have to worry AS much, but i  would have to say alot of apoligies to those in my party.  ;)

Acacea

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 03:59:00 am »
Spells such as fireball will affect pretty much everyone within range. Unless they're really quick. Like. A halfling. Practice on a halfling, they love being fried.

*Shifty...*

Or better yet, a dwarf. They dribble ale in their beards, you know? Whooshes up in flames. Ask Turor.

Anyway, if, say, a mob of goblins was running towards someone, rather than aiming a fireball at the destination and blowing up the person, you could aim at where the mob is running from (they'll  be past by the time it gets there), and you'll get those at the tail, rather than the ones in middle of your party. (Or...! You could just use target spells.)

Practice, practice. Good thing Acacea can't cast Fireball. She's pretty bad with arrows when she's drinking.

Diamondedge

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 04:01:00 am »
No, your spells will kill everyone. Add's to the RP element.

That way you're not sending in your comrades and tossing a fireball after 'em.

I might. If I ever finish that CN ship mage idea...

But the major thing is, your character is supposed to be afraid of killing other people. Killing other people shouldn't be a priority, or something that you can shrug off. Think of the psyche and damage... Why, your char might even be deleted so that you can remake him as a fighter, or a rogue or something, having given up magic forever due to having ended someone's life... and then that character develops a drinking problem, too.

Think of it this way; If you hit someone with your car, could you live with yourself? Be pretty hard, wouldn't it.

EDIT: P.S. Practice on Halflings. If they don't get out of the way, they won't be missed.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 04:03:00 am »
I see. I will make sure to practise hard, and use my spells only when its really needed. Should make battles more interesting.

Acacea

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 04:04:00 am »
Diamondedge - 8/26/2005  4:01 AM
Think of it this way; If you hit someone with your car, could you live with yourself? Be pretty hard, wouldn't it.

The chances of me accidently looking over my shoulder and thus not being able to brake, greatly depend on who is about to be run over.

Diamondedge

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 04:58:00 am »
:) Have a great weekend!

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 06:46:00 am »
I used to buff my char up to protect him self from fireballs and have a mage use me as a homing beacon

Sahala

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 07:00:00 am »
    ////Yeah, err, I managed to slaughter three comrades with a single fireball.  Thankfully, they didn't press charges =/..... not sure why, though, since Sahala is a drow.....  Being Chaotic Good and all, I helped them get their graves back within a few minutes. =P

EdTheKet

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
    Tactic 1:

• party sees army of monsters
      • party agrees they will attack
      • mage says, I will soften them up first with a fireball
      • mage casts fireball and the moment it explodes, other characters charge

KageKeeper

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
    EdTheKet - 8/26/2005  9:32 AM    Tactic 1:

Yep. That is what I was going to say.  It's all about communication. Tell the party your plans so they are warned. THEN if some foolish person rushes in and gets blasted by an AoE, well, you warned them. :)

Eight-Bit

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 11:01:00 am »
    KageKeeper - 8/26/2005  1:41 PM  
    EdTheKet - 8/26/2005  9:32 AM    Tactic 1:

Yep. That is what I was going to say.  It's all about communication. Tell the party your plans so they are warned. THEN if some foolish person rushes in and gets blasted by an AoE, well, you warned them. :)
      And if they press charges, just wave the componets to Fireball in their face and see how far they take it. ;)

anything