• party sees army of monsters
      • party agrees they will attack
      • mage says, I will soften them up first with a fireball
      • mage casts fireball and the moment it explodes, other characters charge

Cynics version of that is:   Tactic 1:

• mage casts fireball and the moment it explodes, the monsters and the hidden army of monsters the scout overlooked rushes the party (that just left it's defensible position) slaughtering them all
          :)

Vincent

• View Profile
      RE: spells
      « Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
      KageKeeper - 8/26/2005  12:41 PM  
      EdTheKet - 8/26/2005  9:32 AM    Tactic 1:

• mage casts fireball and the moment it explodes, other characters charge

Yep. That is what I was going to say.  It's all about communication. Tell the party your plans so they are warned. THEN if some foolish person rushes in and gets blasted by an AoE, well, you warned them. :)
       Leeeeee-roy *ahrum* Jennnnnkins! http://www.fileplanet.com/153258/150000/fileinfo/World-of-Warcraft---UBRS-Rookery-Run

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
      I play a sorcerer names Weston, and he has a few AoE spells that I use ALOT. So I think I can safely make a few suggestions.

1. Communication!
      2. Know your spells!  And I mean KNOW THEM! Be comfortable with the radius, damage type, target number, ect.
      3. Anticipate combat movements
      4. Know your party and their resistances
      5. Be Prepared for the worst!

Now to break this down for you.

Communication- I can't stress this enough. Your party needs to be able to antcipate your spells. A heads up will save a head

Know your spells- This is an all time important one. I use Lightning bolt and it's an AoE of the linear sort. I am VERY comfortable about casting this spell in a crowded room because I KNOW it's range both distance,target, and range from left to right of the center line of my casting!.

Anticipite Combat Actions- Know what your fighters are doing, be attentive to where they are on the battle field in relation to everyone else and the monsters. I have cast a lightning bolt in a heavly crowded room in the middle of combat becuase I was watching where the monsters where and when a warrior moved I was able to strike almost all of the monsters without hurting anyone.

Know your party and their resistances- Always be aware of who can take what and use that knowledge to your advantage. Some characters can shrug off certain spells and effects, use this to your advantage! Rogues can dodge most reflex save spells, fighters suffer to most on will save spells, mages can't take constitution save spells. Ect.

Be prepared for the worst- Sometimes you have to awful luck of hitting someone VERY hard with your spell on accident. Be ready with healing potions, curatives, and spells that can reverse any ill effects. If your all set to cut someone down with your worst spells, be ready to handle any adverse side-effects

Remeber-Magecraft isn't for everyone, consult your local healer- side effects include but are not limited too, insomnia, megalomania, head-achs, weak knees, incontentinence, injury or death to loved ones, over confidence, burns, frost bite, electrical burns, acid reflux, blindness, deafness, dead coming to life, colourful discharges, tacky clothes, talking to yourself while flailing your arms in battle, meteorological unpredictability, abnormal growths, undesirable attraction to mouldy old tomes, persistant and abnormaly annoying creatures bonded to your soul, being in two places at once, feeling invisible to others, consorting with deamons, gas and bloating, seeing things that no one else does, tossing bat poo at people, burning sensations, hot/ cold flashes, hording glass beads, blowing dirt in peoples faces, the overwhelming desire to touch people when fighting, screaming banshes, black oily discharges, dibilitating odours, faries envy your ability to make people sparkle, sound/light pollution, death, dismeberment, etc.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
      ...........................ok. Just give me a second to soak that all in.
      ok, so how long did it take for you to learn what your spells can do?

Filatus

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »

Layonara was the first time I played a mage on full pvp. So in the beginning it was hard to adapt.

I remember scorching a few partymembers back in the redlight cave days. Thankfully they are no longer around to blame Daeron. :)

But after those first two mistakes, and one involving trolls and the death of several partymembers, I really started thinking about my spells. In the broken forest for example I can place my fireball a bit outside the fight so it only harms the undead and the lightning bolt is quite easy when you take a flanking position.

You can miss of course, I once cast a fireball like 20 meters outside the battlefield. Then you'll hear the meatshields complaining about your lousy aim as well. ;)

And seriously, don't give up on AoE spells. They can do a lot of damage in total because you can hit so many. Spells like magic missle can do some damage but its only on one foe. A fireball can do the same damage on 9 foes.

Oh by the way, this is not an invitation to come up with Daeron_hit_his_teammates_memories.

ZeroVega

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
        I have a good example of an AoE spell to be careful with. Wail of the Banshee...
          The other day I was adventuring with Durin, Ralinda, and Armon... we were fighting some Duegar and I waited too long to cast my Wail spell. (Durin didn't have Death Magic Protection so we decided that he'd wait a while before joining the fight to let me cast it) Well we were kinda being overrun and Durin ran in just as I was about to cast the Wail spell. Now my spell would have killed him aswell (seriously no chance he would have survived) so I pulled off and ended up getting killed with the side of DT...
          Now I made a bad choice, because well, it was an OOC decision. Tath would have blasted the Duegar to save his own skin not caring about Durin, however looking back I'm kinda glad I didn't kill him. 1: Because I would have done it intentionally. 2: Because it would have gone for a PK. 3: Because I'd probably get put on the naughty list for it.
          Anywho, pretty much all AoE spells are gonna hurt "everyone." Fireballs, Meteor Swarms, Fear spells, Wail of the Banshee, and so on...

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
        • View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
      when you go to aim behind the monster to hit them in the back, and not your party members... aim just a little further then you thank you need to.. this way your more likly to misss overall then kill your team. Also dont cast such spells if you have hurt party memebers in the group.  ive been playing mage types for... idk.. 4 months maby, i thank im doing rather well, havent killed anyone.. i burn alot of dwarves thouhg. I seam to lose friends that way *shrugs* oh well thats why i can raise the dead... all the nice friends i need *hugs his Zombie*

Eight-Bit

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
      Aim for the monster's feet. All about the feet. Make them dance. Yell at them. Dance you motha!

And if they don't dance. Well, the fireball will do all the work for you.

Eliwood

• View Profile
        « Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 05:42:00 pm »
        I think that AoE spells are essential to show that wizards have immense power, but they need to be careful.  Without them, wizards are basically ranged fighters with some special spells.  Of course, sometimes you are going to toast your friends, but that is part of the game.

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2005, 06:29:00 pm »
        indeed.

(btw, kind of off subject, did anyone else go to the storyteller night. It was amazing, although it was the first one I ever went to)

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 11:13:00 am »
        I answer the question on how long it took to learn most every spell. Um.. I've beem playing mages on this game for about 4 or more years. That and I keep my handbooks and read the descriptions regularly so I can deciede what spells I need (I play sorcerer so its REALLY important to pick the right ones). Oh and I play around with spell combinations and test the limits on most ever combination of resistances. That and I know how to anticipate a spell cast and can counter most spells when I'm paying attention. The best arcane defense is counter spell, A spell un cast is one less thing to worry about.

steverimmer

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
        heh true but in my experience what normally happens is this:

party sees army of monsters
        party agrees they will attack
        mage says, I will soften them up first with a fireball
        mage casts fireball and before the ball of flaming death is released, the party charge right into the blast zone killing or injuring everyone
        mage gets severely beaten by the rest of the party :)

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
        I have noticed that fighters MUST attack first. What is intresting is that in this game, the defender gets all the bonouses. If we have ranged attack FIRST then we draw enemies into a prepared line of defenders.

Factoids of Dungeon Delving-

Fighters are pyromaniacs- they love to charge into fireballs and dance in flame walls

Mages are myopic- they miss... alot

Healers are trouble- every healer added to a group exponentialy raises the stupid meter when considering an encounter

Everyone but you is stupid

DM's are never stupid, except when they admit it; but even then they are not stupid

AoE spells are most effective on party members

There is always one stupid person per group, if you can't find them, chances are your it