The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Summoned Waterspout killed me  (Read 259 times)

evilphd7

• View Profile
    Summoned Waterspout killed me
    « on: May 07, 2006, 05:48:20 pm »
    Hello,

My Cleric, Silool, summoned a level 3 minion (level 3 cleric spell, summons a water spout) today which immediately cast drown upon her, killing her instantly.  She has summoned water spouts many times and has never had one attack her. Moreover, I didn't even know waterspout could cast drown and if so, why haven't they been using it on my enemies all along?!  When you have a sec, could someone let me know if this is a bug or intended behavior?

Thanks!

Sherry

osxmallard

RE: Summoned Waterspout killed me
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:20:42 pm »
    I know this shouldn't be funny.... but... I can't help laughing about this!

You can punch Addison when you see her in game.  =)

ZeroVega

Re: Summoned Waterspout killed me
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 06:50:27 pm »
    Could your faction have been messed up at the time? Or perhaps it cast it on an enemy and you were simply too close? *shrugs* Tons of people have been killed my familiars and summons, it happens.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:32:06 pm »
    No offence ...But Yeah, When I heard what happened...I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop myself. I love freak accidents. Like that one time my familliar tried to kill Freldo xD Or that other time I got someone with flame arrows..

Yours is still best.

AeonBlues

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:38:56 pm »
    I had a simular experiance last night.  I was in zee haven caves, and my party was all set up to ambush some ogres.  I put a Celestial wolf at zee door with a stay comand, as a sacrifice to buy the archers more time.  Then when zee ogres came in, I said, "Guard me.", and zee wolf turned around, ran behind me, and almost killed zee goblin wizard friend of mine, Gremlock.  Bit into his flesh quite badly ya, and then chased him around zee room some.

I am very sad about this.

Cymeran Vrinn

//ooc I still can't stop laughing every time I think about it.

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 08:48:32 pm »
    I'm guessing that the summon was created using standard NWN monster abilities, in this case the water elemental drown pulse.  Anything else would require special scripts and given how many monster abilities all the summons have... I can't see special scripts being written for each and every one of them.

So pulse attacks.  I'm going off memory but when you f1 them for info in the toolset it gives you a breakdown of all of them, the damage per HD equation, and a brief description of how they work.  And the description goes something like: Pulse attacks are powerful xx distance AoE's that will effect all creatures in range, regardless of faction, damages are listed below etc.

So, since that summon probably has 1 or 2 of these monster abilities attached, you will always need to watch out for it drowning you in those first few rounds.  The range on those tends to be about a two body lengths it seems to me.

But yes, it's funny.  Just like accidentally dev crit KD'ing your party member is funny.  In that sad shrug with a tearful laugh sort of way.

I'd try and experiment with the summon and find out how many fires it has on that pulse so you can prep everyone when using it.  Everyone in range made a save on that, fortunately it only got you ;).

Olme

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:59:30 am »

Faldred

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:23:40 am »
    Vorian got whacked once by his familiar, a panther named Trisha.  I'm not sure what happened -- either Trisha was affected by some mind-altering spell (charm, dominate, or similar), or she accidentally got caught in an AoE spell and reacted with peeved enthusiasm.

In either case, my travelling companion at the time managed to kill the familiar and Vorian was lucky enough to stabilize and recover.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:52 am »
    thats so harsh :D

evilphd7

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 05:29:41 pm »
      Yes, it is funny in retrospect, though I was pretty miffed at the time.  Thanks for all the feedback; I seen now that this is a common problem with NWN and I will definitely not be using "summon creature" any time soon :)

Thanks all,

Sherry (Silool)

Belecthor

• View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:07:38 am »
        evilphd7 - 5/8/2006  2:48 AM

Hello,

My Cleric, Silool, summoned a level 3 minion (level 3 cleric spell, summons a water spout) today which immediately cast drown upon her, killing her instantly.

Sherry

lol

Crunch

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:31:54 am »
        Does deathward prevent drowning?  If so, you might be able to bring your pet back into action.

Weeblie

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 11:48:36 am »
        Yes it does.

I used to use it all the time...

But, guess what happens if you accidently forgot to cast it? :P (ugh! DC 20 is BAD!)

jrizz

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 03:04:34 pm »
        oh Sherry that is too funny, I am sorry I missed it :) But what about your second point if it could kill you in an instant why is it not doing that to your foes?

John (Glenn)

anything