The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question on Warrents  (Read 118 times)

Lord Crovax

• View Profile
    Question on Warrents
    « on: August 25, 2005, 06:10:00 pm »
    How does one take in someone who has a Warrent on them? I'm rather confused on this as the only two ways I can think of are attcking them (To subdue, not kill) or asking them nicely to come along. The first being agaisnt the rules, the second being very unlikely.

If someone could please explain this.

Talan Va'lash

RE: Question on Warrents
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:00 pm »
    A bunch of the bounties are on PCs that pretty much no one would have any chance of bringing in (read shadowdancer hehe)

Some of the more recent ones have been on PCs that you could acctually have a believable IC chance of capturing.  The ones that I'm thinking of are very good role players so if you somehow presented a situation where you were trying to capture them I'm sure they'd play along (instead of running away singing "you cant catch me no pvp!")

Though some things would have to be taken into consideration, like, its not realistic that you would be able to best a level 8 ranger with a level four cleric.  But if you have some other players help you out and come up behind the PC you're trying to aprehend or, your PC is much better in combat (you can use the D&D grapple rules to simulate wrestling someone to the ground using the dicebag) then it would be possible.

Or "convince" them to come with you.  Or else.

-TV

Variable

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 08:28:00 pm »
    The dicebag is a great tool for this, but often you can just talk it out. I remember one time in hlint when quite a few people came up to try and capture a person but there were quite a few people around the person that told the person looking that this person was not who they were looking for.
      It was great RPing, and the person finally decided to run away and hide heh

Thunder Pants

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:45:00 pm »
    well seeing as Lue is one of that characters with a bounty on her head, i'll point out, that she still has no problem running around in the open, if you ask her about the bounty or try and take her in she'll probobly explain her version of what happened which is normally enough to detour most people, the others Lue will slip away from as she's probobly the hardest person on the server to catch

Lord Crovax

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 02:05:00 am »
      Thunder Pants - 8/24/2005  11:45 PM

well seeing as Lue is one of that characters with a bounty on her head, i'll point out, that she still has no problem running around in the open, if you ask her about the bounty or try and take her in she'll probobly explain her version of what happened which is normally enough to detour most people, the others Lue will slip away from as she's probobly the hardest person on the server to catch

Its just that, how to you actually capture someone, say your a mage, you have true sight (assuming spell hasnt  been changed) so you can see those Shadow Dancers and you have passive (Read non-leathal) means of subdueing someone (Bigbies Forceful Hand, Hold Monster, Dominate Monster, Hold/Dominate Person, etc) are such means allowed are are they still consididerd PvP? If so is the only allowed method RPing it and crossing your fingers hoping they will actualy go along and allow you to take them in? As by that method I see very little reason on the wanteds behalf to not just run, as stated they have the *You can't hurt me* rule backing them, (Read I haven't been IG yet so I know little of the maturity level, but the no PvP rule seems to have been made with the younger generation in mind, which then leads to a lower maturity level) so any capture would require good Dice rolls? If so what kind? Also for those that pointed out levels, is one required to Metagame in order to provide a case in which it would be unfavorable to run? (IE: Saying I'm level 20 your level 9 come with me).

If these can be explained I'd greaty apreaciate it.

PS: Please note I am not asking these in order to find a way around the no PvP rules, I personally don't much care for PvP, and when put in situations were the RP would lead to that (In sevrers were PvP is allowed) I generally relied upon non-lethal means of subdueing the enemy (Via the spells listed above) in which my character just warned them of thier transgression, in most cases they are either A) Unable to talk or B) Under Domination so I either left them where they were or comanded them to leave (Often to the cloestest safe haven), in short I prefer RPing over PvP, but in some cases as per this question, PvP (In the sense of non-lethal spells) Is appropriate.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 03:33:00 am »
      well i am no authority on the rules, but i know non harmful spells such as hold person etc, are ok in my book to be used at people so long as they are in such a place that they arn't going to end up dying based on the effect (IE if you cast hold person on a person in a town i have no complaints, but if you cast it on them when they are battling monsters thats a different story)  

also you really can't claim that someones reaction will simply be to run away, while it's very true that some people will do that, though they might be doing it for a very RP reason, all the people with warrents out for them are wanted alive, so subduing them with swords and arrows isn't the best of idea's because if you kill them that is still murder, and if you attack someone why shouldn't they run away?

best approuch is to RP it with them, if your a warrior, ask them to surrender themselves to you if your a mage go ahead and try your hold persons.....don't expect them to sit there and wait for you to rest and memorize your spells though

ZeroVega

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 07:41:00 am »
        Personally I'd like to see non-damaging spells be allowed but there is a problem with that too. My dad's a police officer, and when he handcuffs people he needs to be careful with them and make sure that they stay safe even if they're under arest. If someone comes up and shoots or stabs someone my dad had handcuffed, it's considered his fault since the now dead person couldn't do a whole lot with his hands behind his back...
          The same is kinda true here. Lue may be hard to catch but one good Hold Person spell and she'd be down, however if a moster popped out and attacked and I couldn't stop it from killing her, well that'd be my fault and I'd have essecially just PKed ya. Even though some spells aren't directly leathal, they can still be deadly.
        ZV-

Thunder Pants

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:02:00 am »
      hence why i said so long as it's used in a place where it wont get the person killed, like in a town

vgn

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:23:00 am »
      While I agree it is probably worth talking about this subject as bounties do exist so people should know their options, I do want to point out one thing that was said that is not true:

Its just that, how to you actually capture someone, say your a mage, you have true sight (assuming spell hasnt been changed) so you can see those Shadow Dancers...

While the NWN mechanics allow people with true sight to see characters that are hiding, it should not and therefore as a mage or cleric who is able to cast true sight, it is your responsibilty RP wise to ignore someone you can see if you know that they are hiding and you don't have the spot skill level to see them.

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
      vgn - 8/26/2005 11:23 AM While I agree it is probably worth talking about this subject as bounties do exist so people should know their options, I do want to point out one thing that was said that is not true:
      Its just that, how to you actually capture someone, say your a mage, you have true sight (assuming spell hasnt been changed) so you can see those Shadow Dancers...
      While the NWN mechanics allow people with true sight to see characters that are hiding, it should not and therefore as a mage or cleric who is able to cast true sight, it is your responsibilty RP wise to ignore someone you can see if you know that they are hiding and you don't have the spot skill level to see them.

I have seen both opposing opinions on this matter, both dm and otherwise.
        This thread is a good example for one -->
        http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16781&posts=16
        There are a million arguments both ways on this one.. hehe.. So its not somthing I care to get into.. but just wondering:
        Does anybody have an official word on this?  I have always played.. if they saw Lalaith.. then they saw her.. *shrugs* 
        I really like how some said it was done on other servers, that TS was See invis +20 spot and +20 listen..

IDii

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 10:10:00 am »
      Official word would be that TS allows you to see hiding people, since it just simply does so in game...

I'm not going to RP not seeing sneaking people as long as they don't RP their sneaking as well.

I mean... only hide if you actually have something to hide behind or some shadows or whatever. Just too often see someone in stealth mode standing in the middle of a room or whatever silly.

anything