The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: transfering music from one PC to another  (Read 160 times)

merlin34baseball

transfering music from one PC to another
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »
Hiya smart Layo people!

I have a desktop that has all my music collection on it (like 24 days worth with never repeating a song), but what I want to do is put it all on my laptop too, in case one dies. I'd hate to lose all the music I've collected.

So can anyone help me with the easiest way to transfer it all?

Oh... I use iTunes if that helps anyone.

Much Thanks,
Merlin34

scifibarbie

Re: transfering music from one PC to another
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
Thats alotof music!

I would recommend you buy a portable hard drive. I keep all my mp3s and video files onaa separate hard drive just for this reason.

THey arent that expensive anymore and definitely worth while.

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:45:00 pm »
Agreed, thats what I do.

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:34:41 pm »
Thirded.

Alternately, you could set up a wired or wireless network between the two computers, though depending on your network card, the transfer rate for 24 days worth of music might not be great shakes, or you can get a bridged USB cable.  If both your computers support USB 2.0, that can allow for 480Mbps transfer rate, or 60 megabytes/second.  Of course, this would also depend on how fast your various buses are, but it's a decent speed nonetheless.

(The advantage to the latter option, of course, is not having to pay for an external hard drive... but as I have two external hard drives, I'd still say it's the best bet.)

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:12:06 am »
A month ago I bought a terabytes external hard drive from Seagate for less than 130 tax in.. yes it was on sale, but still. Imagine all the music on that hehe ;). The advantage of a external hd is that what you know you will be working on both computer can be kept on it and worked from it. So you never have to make the transfer from one pc to the other. Just swap the hd from one pc to the other.