The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The begining of a cartoon - name help! French needed!  (Read 187 times)

Niles09

The begining of a cartoon - name help! French needed!
« on: February 14, 2006, 01:00:40 pm »
Got this great inspiration for a cartoon, I mean really big inspiration never had such an great idea.
Anyway Im writting it all down and I need a bit of help. The names... Since this is the for me best know international place, Ill ask here. I need a frensh name for this guy http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=311&photoid=5324
Short said, he is a powerful and wise wizard, though not ultimate like Gandalf or Dumbledore, actually he aint proud of his past and is pretty uunderstanding about it. In the start he seems pretty perfect, though as the main character evolves he sees that the wizard is also just a human, who makes misjugdements and mistakes.
So for the name, I know every name has a meaning (mine is something like peoples' victory :S, old king name!) and that is very important in this case.
So give me a french name and tell me the point of it. The cartoon happens in our world in the 19th century. A last name would be good too, its a bit more free there, french is best, but other would be good too, should be something from the middleage or 19th century.

Ill be very very very happy for any help.

EdTheKet

Re: The begining of a cartoon - name help! French needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 01:11:58 pm »
Just google for "french male names"

Stranzini

RE: The begining of a cartoon - name help! French needed!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 01:37:38 pm »
He sure looks like a Jacques to me. Which is not too imaginative I know, but he looks like a Jacques. Or maybe an Emile.

If you want something more unusual...

the site http://www.prenoms.com allows you to do a search for the most common and unusual names by year...and goes back to 1901, sorry can't get you closer to that but it was still the 19th century at heart in 1901...take a look at those see if something strikes your fancy

and you can go by region and year - this guy looks to me like he should be from like the Franche Comte or Savoie or somewhere over there

maybe even Geneve, maybe he's French-Swiss

there's a list of last names, ordered by popularity, you can browse there for ideas too

or try meilleursprenoms.com under the heading regionaux...there are some interesting different ones in there
the organization's a nuisance for browsing, you have to choose each letter, but there are some unusual choices there

maybe he's from provence - have a look at those

if you want something specific translated, send me a message

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: The begining of a cartoon - name help! French needed!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:51:59 pm »
Jean-Paul, I'd say.

Niles09

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:16:23 am »
Thanks for the help.. Jacques it is so far, got a good origin and story suiting the wizard guy.
For the last name Im still looking around.

freemen2

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 11:48:04 am »
Want to make him a noble from Brittany : HEREHe does look like someone that could be from there ;)
  Else scroll down this page, you got a bunch of links to different lists ;) : HERE

Niles09

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 03:20:30 am »
whoa! Im not a frenchman! Looks interesting though. Jacques (:)) doesnt come from a rich or noble family, but of course, it might be interesting with some mighty ancestors.. I'll keep looking.