The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Easy Guide to PC Suicide, by Eight-Bit  (Read 551 times)

Eight-Bit

The Easy Guide to PC Suicide, by Eight-Bit
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:45:58 am »
I've noticed this is a subject that most people just don't get. I usually like to keep quiet and make the occassional snide comment here and there, but every so often I like to add something useful to the community I so dearly tolerate.

Murder is a lot of fun! Murdering yourself is when it gets tricky. With the help of this guide, your imagination, a tasteful post on the Character Development Forum, and a post in the character deletion thread you can be fresh on your way to being remembered vaguely and referenced obscurely, or god willing you'll never be mentioned at all.

Step One: The Big Choice

This is a toughy and one that shouldn't be made in the heat of the moment. A character that kills themselves surely can come back from the wonderous magic of the Bind Stones. How a character commits "suicide", which is hereby understood as self-termination and not following a massive group of poorly-equipped idjits to Firesteep to die at the first bridge, is by my definition a total lack of the will to live and a self-applied method of death. You are pratically giving up your spirit to the Soul Mother and taking your own life, by your own free-will. It's a purely boolean situation, and like real life, this ain't a round trip.

So there's a few questions you need to ask yourself. Important questions! They are, but not limited to:

- Do I want to do this?

- Am I going to regret this? (A little bit of regret is all right. But don't do it if you're going to stress about it!)

- Is there a good reason for this or do I just want attention?

- Am I bored with this character?

- Am I willing to accept that I will never play this character again?

- Am I aware that this means I'll have to start over?

- Are my alt-characters worth developing?

Step Two: How the heck do you tie a noose anyway?

Now that you've asked the though questions you need to wonder how you're going to go about doing it. I've always been partial to characters jumping off of things and making a horrible mess. They leave that moment for the poetic "last thoughts to go through head, before head and thoughts are smeared over Port Hempstead" goodness that I quite enjoy.

"And, alas, I shall miss my Mitsy the most. Mitsy."

SPLAT!

There are several ways to go about it, and I'll give a few prompts because I'm a nice guy and I've had a few:

- Having a witness in game. This allows for two great situations, which include, being seen doing it, and doing it in game. This way people can know and the word can spread on its own. It also allows for only the people who care to know.

- Going out on your own. Why not just swan-dive off Ozy's roof into the shark infested waters that are his backyard? Sure, this is pretty much the most awesome thing ever, and it leaves the actual details out of it. Perfect for your loner characters. If I can't get my CD key to work (long story), Yu is doing this for sure.

- Keeping it a forum issue. This usually amounts to the best result, as there is 100% control in that of the user and no swanky jerks casting Hold Person on you while you're carving up your wrist like a hot thanksgiving bird. You can add the most detail, and depending on the perspective in which you write your character development thread, you can add a lot of feeling, thoughts, and motivation. This is my preferred method, despite how awesome being eaten by sharks is.

The Third and Final Step: Getting it all stamped and legal.

The third step happens to be the easiest as well. Just follow the instructions in the Character Deletion sticky and you're done!

Hooray!

You've just committed digital suicide!

LynnJuniper

Re: The Easy Guide to PC Suicide, by Eight-Bit
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:50:53 am »
I love you 8bit.

Oh, and if Rhynn, Ozy, Saru, The Lim Lim, or Squishy find so much as one dead body in the shark infested bay in their back yard >_> They're ours for the taking ...experiments...er...you know how it is

Eight-Bit

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:29:30 am »
Sure, whatever. A body is just meat, bone, skin, squishy stuff, and whatever I had for breakfast/lunch/dinner after I'm done with it.

lonnarin

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:15:47 pm »
The quickest way to commit D&D suicide is to get a job and a girlfriend.  Then, all the times you wish you were playing your character, you're too busy balancing inventory requests, shopping for shoes and listening to boring stories about her friends you couldn't care less about to have any such RPG enjoyment in your life.

*grumbles at his fate*

Xirion

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »
Thanks, lonn... perfectly right :D

Fatherchaos

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:18 pm »
If a character decides to leave a squishy mess, be sure to request a placeable with a nice gore splatter and squishy boot steps!

Kudos to you 8bit - this post was both informative and enjoyable. Now Dur knows where to look for new bodies before Rhynn finds them :)

*in case no one noticed, there is a five kilometer long tongue stuck in my cheek! It would have been six kilometers, but a shark bit off the last KM.*

steverimmer

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:38:28 pm »
...or you can get it done as part of a DM run quest :)  I know of at least one character who did that quite some time ago.

anything