The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The sweetest thing.  (Read 287 times)

miltonyorkcastle

The sweetest thing.
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:35:01 pm »
This is a reply I made in the "I know some people have been quiet of late" thread, and aside from tooting my own horn, I really feel what I have to say in this reply is hugely important (forgive me; it's pride week). Are you here to "beat" a video game, to level up and explore colored pixels and follow along a pre-set path of +1, to +2, etc.? Or are you here to create story? Are you here to quest?

Hmmm.... seven people on each server at a time? Sounds like the perfect quest party size. =)

That's why I stuck with Layo, and that's why I'll stick with Layo. Quests. Genuine story adventures. Player-run (like story-telling nights) and GM-run (like CDQ's). And even better, Layo has an over-arching world plot that affects and is affected by us crazy adventurers.

Honestly, I'd only ever log in for the quests (and have before in the past when my time was even more limited), if it wasn't that I need to go through the tedium of crafting and business to get my characters' hands on the gear they need to make them better adventurers.

Sure, you can find RP on other servers, other places even than NWN, but I have yet to find any online presence that has the depth, quality, and number of quests offered here. The NWN version of the world, indeed, the whole DnD construct is just a platform upon which to run adventures, to run quests. Truly, I care little about the platform so long as the quests themselves are quality and interesting.

Just for clarity, here's my definition of "quest," as it pertains to role-playing games:
A quest is a plot (a selection and arrangement of events), complete with story and characters, but missing that final and unpredictable piece of the puzzle known as the player character. A quest is planned in advance, and carefully constructed like any work of art. The best quest designers know how to incorporate the classical dramatic forms (tragedy, comedy, and melodrama) and fill their quests with recognitions and reversals. A quest is a free-form drama, not unlike modern comedy improvisationals. However, a quest holds much more meaning for its audience and its characters, and includes more dramatic elements than a comedy improv sketch. These are the quests that make role-play fun and what makes RP a work of art.

It's that definition that has kept me from applying for a quest GM position many times, as I feel I must have the time to really develop and plan each quest I run. As it stands, I've been GMing pen and paper RPG quests for years, and I barely have the time to do that anymore.

As long as Layo is built around story and quests, I will be here. I hardly care about the community drama, the platform (NWN) issues, or how Layo's custom NWN enhancements compares to other NWN worlds.

I'm here to create stories, to be told stories, and to have adventures. The only drama I care about occurs in-game and in-character.

My only hope is that there are others like me (and I think there are) who stick around to keep the story going.

The following users thanked this post: Lalaith Va'lash, Pseudonym

Lalaith Va'lash

Re: The sweetest thing.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 07:57:30 pm »
"The only drama I care about occurs in-game and in-character."

Hehe, I like it.  Can I have that on a T-shirt?  *Smiles* Thanks for the post Milty.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:27:43 pm »
You don't post often enough, Milt. Everything you say is always realistically positive and worth reading.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:18:48 pm »
*Smiles.* I don't think you quite get the idea of "pride week," but... That's a totally different subject. ;)

Anyhow... Aye. Quests are what make this server great. DMed, player-based... It's all about the RP, and Quests are what truly set this server apart from others.

They're the biggest reason I log on; the only, when my time is as limited as it's been for the past few weeks. I've gotten up long before dawn, and stayed up past it from the night previous, just for these thrilling and character-changing occurrences.

The quests I've been on, and what they've meant to me, are what made me want to apply to be a quest DM myself (especially considering that my time's opening up considerably, soon). As to whether I'll be chosen, I don't know yet. Maybe, maybe not. If so, I'll do my best to enrich the experiences of the players with RP that immerses and challenges them in ways a player can't... If not, I'll keep on doing what I've loved to do for two-plus years: Roleplay.

Roleplay is what makes this server great, and Quests are what make quite a bit of roleplaying that's otherwise impossible, happen.

anything