The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON  (Read 1363 times)

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
Re: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 02:39:23 am »
lol.. aye Varka.. I hear ya ;)

here I also have an opinion on the original topic wich weapon (in combined with a class is the best)

weaponmaster wielding scythe or scimithar?

Scythe you get x5 crits instead of x4 wich isn't a tremendous boost..  (25% more damage)

With Scimithar you get x3 instead of x2 wich is a huge diferent.. (50% more damage)

If you would have an Scythe with keen property it would be more deadly (or a mage that is with you always and cast the spell keen edge on it :)

But if you don't I personally think that the crit range isn't good enough 17-20..

And finally.. if you are going to make a character with devestating crits scimithars/kukri or rapier is the obvious choice.. however on Layo I don't think that kind of built would be any good.. there are better feats to choose to get a well rounded fighter then invest all feats just to get dev crit..

Jearick Hgar

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 02:57:04 am »
he wanted the ultimate weapond amage wise, damage wise te Scythe is capable of doing way more than the schimitar, but ultimately ya scim rocks, liek i said.

vitor

• View Profile
    RE: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON
    « Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 07:28:35 am »
    Most Insane Damage is Ranger's, no way, on a 40th lvl ranger you can have up to 15 favored enemies, plus 2d6 from bane of enemies, plus str bonus if melee... and such, no way.
      Anyway, i still love my Arcane Archer=))

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 07:37:54 am »
    If looking at class/feat damage bonus and not focusing on the weapon there are divine damage one should go for.. smite evil and so forth.. With an extreme built one can get up to over 1000 in damage.. ;)

vitor

• View Profile
      « Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:51 am »
      Well, i've seen a build at Bioware's epic char build page, that deals more than 2000 damage in a crit... it's an smite, it can be used 3 times/ day... but.. its not that good, the hp... Str.... it's all sucky, the saves and damge rocks, only.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 08:46:06 am »
      I would agree with Varka on this one. Hitpoints and saves are just as important to most classes as the damage or effects they can dish out. Any weapon to someone strong enough to use it is going to deal a lot of damage. Looking for the ultimate weapon is just kind of silly, because there isn't one. The ultimate weapon, in my opinion, is the weapon your character decided suits them best.

Drizzlin

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 09:29:34 am »
      hawklen - 2/18/2007  2:32 AM

*he nods to karana*

My dwarf Jal, I planned on him to be as original as I could. A dwarf weapon master of the scyth I havent seen around, and with him being CN, it makes the RP very interesting, along with his dislike for most dwaves. So far he only leans towards like two dwarves, because they wernt drunk, or blabbered about ale and typical dwarven things. And he is into more cold logic than emotion. So this could turn interesting

With an iron scythe, he averages around 15dmg a hit, and I've gotten I think a 67 crit. Now I just need to find a weapons master to ask questions and RP :)

To the others, thanks for all the weapon specs and stats, very interesting read.

I have seen a good bit of WM using a scythe on layo in the 3 years I have been here. The half ogre Micheals comes to mind. He use to crit in the 200s all the time. It was nasty =P.

Weeblie

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 10:06:50 am »
      This sounds more like a "Nice Screenshot Build" than to really have it in game... :P

Honora

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 10:23:31 am »
      Having seen a scythe in the hands of a half-giant WM up close, let me tell you it's pretty darn nasty.  Mikey would routinely; and I mean at level 7 WM about 30-40% of the time it seemed; hit for 150+ pts. of damage.

It was sick.

He told me (and this is straight out of my hindquarters, as I have not checked) that a falchion in the hands of a half-giant WM would be worse.  But again, only repeating.

IDii

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 10:32:58 am »
      Falchion would indeed be worse if the weaponmaster feats would work with the custom weapons.

Now just imagine if we enabled D&D hardcore difficulty and monsters could crit on players too. Take one of those greataxe-wielding fire giants for example, they hit for like 60 damage normally. You'd be looking at 200 damage crits every now and then.

I suppose we don't often think how easymode it is for the PCs here... hehe.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 10:37:27 am »
      Honora - 2/19/2007 1:23 PM Having seen a scythe in the hands of a half-giant WM up close, let me tell you it's pretty darn nasty. Mikey would routinely; and I mean at level 7 WM about 30-40% of the time it seemed; hit for 150+ pts. of damage. It was sick. He told me (and this is straight out of my hindquarters, as I have not checked) that a falchion in the hands of a half-giant WM would be worse. But again, only repeating.
       If only it was possible to make the WM feats for the Custom Weapons, then yes it would be godlike. But, in the same rate, it would crit about as often as Lillian for only a little bit more damage.

Laldiien

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2007, 10:51:36 am »
      I'd like to see caster criticals. A caster get's the chance to roll after a succesfull spell penetration for a critical hit. Issac's would be just ugly.

Jearick Hgar

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 11:14:48 am »
      IDii - 2/19/2007  10:32 AM

Falchion would indeed be worse if the weaponmaster feats would work with the custom weapons.

Now just imagine if we enabled D&D hardcore difficulty and monsters could crit on players too. Take one of those greataxe-wielding fire giants for example, they hit for like 60 damage normally. You'd be looking at 200 damage crits every now and then.

The monster's can't get crits ont his server? Didn't even realize that. on my last server all monsters gto crits heh, the hardest boss ont he server had dev crit. crit toeing monsters are tough.

Drizzlin

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 11:22:45 am »
      IDii - 2/19/2007  10:32 AM

So true..the only dice I hold back in pnp as a DM, are the crit rolls of some of the NPCs.

IDii

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2007, 11:29:05 am »
      Yep, monsters can't crit on Layonara since the difficulty setting is at "normal" instead of "D&D hardcore".

The difference is that monsters don't get crits, players don't get attacks of opportunity on them when using ranged weapons or potions in melee.
      Also charm and domination on PCs only makes them dazed. Hold, paralyze, stun and petrification effects on players last for a shorter time too.

Would make an interesting difference if it was changed... heh, but things aren't really built in that mind. Most encounters would just murder people.

Anyway this is totally offtopic.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2007, 02:27:13 pm »
      The real answer?

Good RP... always more deadly than any vorpal dagger of the whoosit

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
        • View Profile
      « Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 02:13:27 am »
      If it was possible to make the WM feats for the Custom Weapons I have the answer for the original question what the best weapon on layo would be.

-Mercurial longsword in the hands of a WM.. x5 crit and 17-20 crit range. This WM could then go for dual wielding and have 6 attacks every round wich would almost guarante atleast one crit every round. He can also switch to shield when he wan'ts for higher AC and AB when needed.

ofcourse every build have its upside and downsides.. And what build is best overall its defently not a damagefighter here on Layo..

However what weapon would be the ultimate weapon with feats and so forth was the question. If the question only was what wepaon would do most damage the weapon is obviosly the scythe since it is two handed instead of the mercurial longsword that is one-handed.

There is also mercurial greatsword wich would be similar but slightly better then the scythe since it gives 2d6 damage instead of 2d4..

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2007, 08:48:02 am »
      Wait, how much damage does a normal Greatsword deal?

Drizzlin

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2007, 12:10:57 pm »
      ShiffDrgnhrt - 2/20/2007  8:48 AM

Wait, how much damage does a normal Greatsword deal?

2d6. The difference between the Merc GS and the regular GS is that the Merc has x3 crit modifier.

lonnarin

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:01 pm »
      The Ultimate Weapon is having a Skabot Castoblaster 5000 at your side.  Extended Keen Edge, Greater Magic Weapon, Flame Weapon, Stoneskin, Mind blank...  EVERY weaponmaster should get at least 2 or 3.  Doesn't even need topaz dust!

*warning* the Skabot Castoblaster 5000 is subject to randomly turning into a troll and chucking slime all over everything without notice.

anything