The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Top 5 Reasons I dislike Comcast  (Read 492 times)

Lareth

Top 5 Reasons I dislike Comcast
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:42:53 am »
1.  My internet went down in the middle of last night's quest :mad:

2.  My internet went down in the middle of last night's quest :mad:

3.  My internet went down in the middle of last night's quest :mad:

4.  My internet went down in the middle of last night's quest :mad:

5.  Oh yes... they have no concept of Net Neutrality, stop blocking bit torrents grrrr....

//Couldn't find a forum for rants and raves, and I wanted to say sorry to L and everyone else I dropped out on last night.

The following users thanked this post: stolen

Honora

Re: Top 5 Reasons I dislike Comcast
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:08:42 am »
Yikes...we're about to go to Comcast after being spoiled with super-fast, super reliable internet.  How bad are they, Lareth?  They're the only game in town where we're moving.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:15:34 am »
I've had almost no trouble with Comcast, and the trouble I've had got resolved pretty quickly.  From experience, it seems far more reliable than the DSL in my area.

YMMV

Incidentally, could care less about BitTorrents so hey! ;)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:21:44 am »
Don't even talk to me about ISP's right now. **grumbles for a few hours about losing internet during Harlas' Fire and Ice quest**

Lareth

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:43:00 am »
Hehe,

Ok so I've calmed down a little from last night and this morning... amazing the soothing power of having internet again...

Honora, to be honest, I think its the local office here who are just plain useless, last night was caused by them running new cable to a part of my sub division that's just being built now, but they tend to cut their own cables at least once a month lately.... Frustrating does not do it justice for me, as that takes down my phone, tv and internet.  Hopefully where you move to, they'll employ professional staff, instead of the fly by night sub contractors we have here.

Dorg.  I know what you're thinking about the torrents... but no, I'm not here thieving music at nights ;) .... like any good ex pat Brit, I needs the torrents to download the latest episodes of East Enders and Corrie... Sir, you may take away my country, but for the love of God man, don't take away my soaps... that's just plain inhuman.  So sadly now, I rely on my brother to tape them for me and FTP them over to me... and he's as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:38 am »
Actually, I was thinking about TV shows, not music thievery. :)

Honora

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:40:53 am »
Okay, I'll dial down my worry a bit.  I hate sharing internet with others though and we're about to move into a townhome community.  Bah!  Off my nets I say!  I think I'll play Layo via GoToMyPC on my husband's work computer...he was getting 1600 kps yesterday on a download. :)

Quote from: Lareth
... and he's as reliable as a chocolate teapot.

And I am seriously going to use that reference...never heard that before! :D

EdTheKet

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:56:31 pm »
I think it's British.

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:35 pm »
Quote from: Lareth

.... like any good ex pat Brit, I needs the torrents to download the latest episodes of East Enders and Corrie... Sir, you may take away my country, but for the love of God man, don't take away my soaps... that's just plain inhuman.

This man does not speak for the rest of us!

We do NOT spend from 6pm till 10pm watching soaps and concerning ourselves over the mad-cap antics of the Beale family and the goings on of the Queen Vic.
We drink tea, read poetry and build battleships out of matchsticks!
We curse those who dared bring the unjustice of Hollyoaks and Big Brother to our screen, and remain focused on the Discovery channel and knitting doiles!

;)

As for internet connection mate, coming from one who knows.... here's a top tip...

Get BT to provide.... it wont work to start of course...
...so complain...
... then complain some more....
... send the company death threats...
... and complain some more...

... and low and behold... about a year down the line, you'll find you'll never get disconnected on an important quest again.
I think they actually had to increase security around the BT head office when my connection kept dying.
And I could be wrong... but I think my electricity company still has a restraining order against me after the electricity went out during the Battle of Pranzis and I flipped... big time.

Lareth

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:36:40 pm »
Quote from: LordCove
This man does not speak for the rest of us!

We do NOT spend from 6pm till 10pm watching soaps and concerning ourselves over the mad-cap antics of the Beale family and the goings on of the Queen Vic.
We drink tea, read poetry and build battleships out of matchsticks!
We curse those who dared bring the unjustice of Hollyoaks and Big Brother to our screen, and remain focused on the Discovery channel and knitting doiles!

;)

Err... quite right, I meant I used the torrents to download serialised versions of all the classics of english literature, not to mention the latest audio recordings of God save the Queen

*snaps to attention and starts saluting frenziedly*

:)

LordCove

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:57:33 pm »
Heh.. shows how much I bloody know.

Torrent? Thats what I call it when it rains heavily... hehe.

** makes a mental note to not comment any more and just nod along like he knows what he's talking about **

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:31:56 pm »
Quote from: LordCove
Heh.. shows how much I bloody know.

Torrent? Thats what I call it when it rains heavily... hehe.

They call it a torrent, but really it's more like a feeble trickle.  Sort of like the chinese water torture of file sharing.

*checks his kbps for the 40th time this hour*

Tobias

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:34 pm »
I have had nothing but great service from Comcast.

Makashi

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 05:15:19 am »
Never even heard of 'em :)

Eight-Bit

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 12:34:09 pm »
They're as reliable as can be. I haven't had any sort out problems or outages in about six months, and prior to that it was over a year since the last one.