The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Transferring characters to NWN2?  (Read 921 times)

darkstorme

Re: Transferring characters to NWN2?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 06:36:21 am »
I would think that epics and high-level, well-known characters might need a wipe (otherwise, how would you explain their sudden loss of power/ability), but new characters could easily be knocked down a few pegs - a lot of people... well, some people, spend a lot of time coming up with an acceptable backstory for their character, and it'd be a shame never to see those characters develop.

ZeroVega

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 07:42:39 am »
It's true that a lot of work has been put into undeveloped characters, and it would indeed be a shame to see them never develop. There is still the problem of, if they spare a few, they'll have to spare them across the board. Same thing for a wipe. If they wipe a few, they'll have to wipe them all, and since it is assumed at this point that the characters will not be transferable to NWN 2, planning on a wipe is safer than surprising everyone last minute.

"Sorry folks, we got fooled ourselves, start on those new bios." (Imagine how that would go over.) At this point, those character bios and developments that so much time was put in to can be used as "guides" to form new characters, and you'll have at least half a year to do that. (From now to January at LEAST.)

Also, I am 100% confident that Epic Characters, Prominent Sub-Epic characters, and Player Run Organizations and Quests WILL be written into History come NWN 2 and the next campaign. The writing, project and GM Teams, however, have a LOT to work on from what I've seen so it's not a high priority, which is why it falls to the players (as Leanthar has been posting about for the past couple months.) GMs already have to do a little summary of ECDQs (Now WLDQs) and they don't all have enough time to make a historical writeup for Layonara. If you want your characters to be remembered for their accomplishments, it's up to you to decide whether they're worth remembering or not, and record them. (Same thing for player run organizations.)

I also want to point out that well over half of the playerbase here was not around before V1 and V2, but Layoanra did go through four Beta stages where the only continent that players could travel on was Mistone. There were only two servers to play on, North Mistone and South Mistone. There were far fewer subraces, no custom PrCs, and the world was pretty much just running off what was found in the initial toolset as L and the Team compiled information and fixed bugs for the later V1 and V2 releases. We started with little come NWN 1 and I think everyone should assume it'll be the same come NWN 2. You can't expect a fully finished world to simply emerge, it's a process and one the players have to be involved with.

What do we know for sure at this point? (Only what the GM team tells us.)

1. They'll be looking in to using NWN 2 as a platform for Layonara in the future.
2. The game will most likely be released in the early fall.
3. The GM toolset will be at least minimally ready by the time Layo 2 is released (if it is).
4. The GM team will work as hard, and possibly harder than every to get us switched over (if we go).
5. We're in good hands. Layonara (for Leanthar) is twenty years old, he knows what he's doing.
6. I am a Stud Muffin.
7. Layonara will rock whether we stay NWN or go NWN 2.
8. This list should have ended at five.
9. It's not even funny any more.

Peace-ness ya'll.
ZV-

Filatus

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 07:44:03 am »
Could you elaborate on point 6? :P

Gulnyr

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 08:05:08 am »
NO!  Let's just use our imaginations - or not - instead.

lonnarin

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:55 am »
if it is indeed set centuries in the future, I'm hoping that the gnomes of Goran will have made the realms an eberron-esque combination of Rennaissance and Industrial ages, circa 1600-1800.  It'd be nice to have train stations alongside the shiproutes, and possibly entire nations of sentient work-golems rising against their Goranite masters.  There'd have to be talk of their leader, Percy... golem driven mad by the oversummons of Celgar, leading the great mechanic revolution!

Also, we need to get the dragons breeding so they won't go entirely extinct by then, or at least find out what distant realm they travelled from long ago to come to our world for repopulation.  You can't have Dungeons and Dragons without the Dragons!  Sadly, most of the ones I've met so far are all chromatically mean, save for the gold dragon in my dream.  I dunno, maybe the lizardfolk and kobolds of the world will band together under Fisterion's banner and finally make a solid scalykind empire to thwart us in the future.  The peoples of light and civilization would be under Rofirein... oh the great era of the 2nd Dragon Wars! (Bloodstone's great "I told you so")

In all, it'd be incredibly gratifying if it turned out that Bloodstone was doing the right thing afterall, having seen the futue where entire nations of witless servants are swept up in the chromoatic vs metallic bloodfeuds.  He's actually not that bad if you think about it... other than the return for revenge and lay waste to the masses thing, he was only following his orders and saving the world better than those in "command" of him.  Who are we to blame him for being overly efficient in his task, if we give him the task in the 1st place?

Harloff

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 08:53:11 am »
I am for a complete wipe Í see no other logical solutions. letting some people start at higher levels than 1 and others at level 1 would be idotic and unfair to say the least. And halving levels as i suggested in a previous thread would also be odd since alot of characters would be stripped of their prestige classes that way. So I say wipe the whole server, it would also be the solution that would take the least effort for the team.

lonnarin

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 08:58:19 am »
Filatus - 6/6/2006  7:44 AM

Could you elaborate on point 6? :P

Ah, that's why I broke my tooth on that pastry...  stale chocolate chip my foot, I KNEW it was a platinum armor stud!

ZeroVega

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 09:03:17 am »
Heh, at least I chose the name Stud-Muffin over Sweet-cheeks.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 09:03:20 am »
Hey Lonn, ever thought about using your talents on the cinematic industry? I bet you'd do a much better job than Uwe Boll ^_^

Alright, ontopic...

I wouldn't mind keeping Syn as a PC on NwN2 for all the work and development i put into my character, though if a wipe is in order, i agree that it should be for everyone without exceptions.

Like the team already said, we'll have to wait and see what's coming up.

Deacon

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:20 am »
I'm still for a wipe.

And yes you are a stud-muffin ZV... ;)

Nyralotep

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 10:38:40 am »
Wipe.  I like the idea of the campaign a few years (50 or so) in the future from end of this campaign.

LordCove

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:04 am »
As do I. There are Many High-level characters who joined years before I even had a copy of NWN, who have paved the way for the future of Layonara and affected things in game which burn their name in History. Im looking forward to trying to be one of these people in NWN2.

I understand that for them, it may be gutting to have a Level 36 Character wiped and have to start again. But a new game, a newly designed world.....why not a new character.

Varka

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 11:14:52 am »
*Varka listens to ZV - listen check 12 + 22 = 34* ....*varka nods in agreement with the drow*  (sorry I could not help adding that)  ;)

*spot check on the fraises "stud muffin”  1+0 = 1*  What? where? Why? who? Muffin? *varka walks out of Hlints north gate in the belief there are muffin somewhere in "the broken halls"*

EdTheKet

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 01:15:53 pm »
The writing, project and GM Teams, however, have a LOT to work on from what I've seen so it's not a high priority, which is why it falls to the players (as Leanthar has been posting about for the past couple months.) GMs already have to do a little summary of ECDQs (Now WLDQs) and they don't all have enough time to make a historical writeup for Layonara. If you want your characters to be remembered for their accomplishments, it's up to you to decide whether they're worth remembering or not, and record them. (Same thing for player run organizations.)

Exactly!

And you can send all of the story-telling goodness to heretic@layonara.com !

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2006, 02:40:34 pm »
LordCove - 6/7/2006  3:46 AM

As do I. There are Many High-level characters who joined years before I even had a copy of NWN, who have paved the way for the future of Layonara and affected things in game which burn their name in History. Im looking forward to trying to be one of these people in NWN2.

I understand that for them, it may be gutting to have a Level 36 Character wiped and have to start again. But a new game, a newly designed world.....why not a new character.

couldn't agree with you more