The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Transferring characters to NWN2?  (Read 945 times)

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
Transferring characters to NWN2?
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:20 pm »
Dorganath - 6/6/2006  6:05 AM    That characters will not be transferable has also been known for a long time.  What is meant by a character wipe is a decision on whether or not existing characters will be allowed to be recreated in the next version of Layonara, or if people must create all new characters.  Clearly the process is much different, but experience, status, and whatever else a character may have accumulated could in theory be returned to the new character.  Whether or not this happens has yet to be decided, but it is the topic for another thread.

so what does everyone think? Personally I think SOME characters should be transferred over, I mean, how can we RP a whole bunch of legendary heroes disappearing from Layo? Some kind of plague that only effects heroes?  But as to WHO should be transferred over, maybe one character per person over a certain lvl? Dunno...

Deacon

Re: Transferring characters to NWN2?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:12:36 pm »
Complete wipe.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 11:37:15 pm »
Well, we have a couple of options. First, we could move to another Prime (planet). Second, and more attractively, we could set it so far into the future they're all dead, anyhow.

Schmack

• Followers of Folian S'pae
    • View Profile
RE: Transferring characters to NWN2?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:19:46 am »
Keep the same characters, but have them all start out again from level one? Means that people will get to keep their characters, and any RP value as well. Don't know why everyone would be extremely weak though... perhaps due to the cataclysmic events of the final showdown with Blood? Meh, just an idea

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:54:25 am »
But those events are happening relatively soon, and we've got a boatload of time before the NWN2 switch.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:00:17 am »
Personally, I'd like to see it set fairly far into the future, a few hundred years at least. A whole new campaign. I'm not sure what's planned, but one can hope.

Schmack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:05:44 am »
Hmm... good points those, the finale thing is happening rather soon, and yeah, having it set futher on would make sense, and means we'd be able to have a whole new campaign. Although, having it set in the future brings up the question of how far in the future, as most elves should still be alive (going by the average age of elves).

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:09:00 am »
Heh. Not after a thousand or two years.

Remember that in magical worlds, technology rarely thrives, so we shouldn't have any reason to worry about the level of technology increasing.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:10:07 am »
apart from the question of whether any characters are started at a level above 1 due to whatever in NWN1 layonara, I think players should be able to recreate a character that they played in NWN1 if that character could conceivably be alive in the NWN2 time period.  Theres a lot of leeway with that, elves, wizards, favoured clerics... the average joe human fighter probably wouldn't make it though... unless you wanted to play that half elven ranger as a grizzled old man who became a druid or something hehe.  Would be kinda fun to play your characters when they're old and crotchety *grins*

Though I bet many players will choose to start fresh even if the option is open to bring one of their characters back.

As for why they've lost levels... I'm more prone to gloss over that fact rather than create an elaborate story for why (unless it fits somehow.) I don't like modifying the IC story due to an OOC event such as transition to NWN2.

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:12:36 am »
Heh... there is a giant thread about this here where a ton of people already weighed in on this subject.

Having everyone keep their levels is impossible (no epic levels), so there would be math and characters below a certain level would have no reason to be rebuilt in the first place. It also seems like it would be a silly amount of work for a setting that the development people essentially have a fresh start on to tweak and mess around with as they wish... I don't really want to force the same setting on a new game when there is a chance to go crazy and make it how they want it ideally.

So, as I voted there, I'm for the total character wipe, where the setting takes place far enough in the distance that the only thing remaining of the Dragoncalled are their stories and their bloodlines (and not so far in the distance that these things also are completely gone). OneST8 mentioned the options a really long while back (and I am feeling way too lazy to look for the thread to quote), and one of the options tossed out were epic (World Leader..whatever!) responsibilities of the line... This kind of reminds me of people like Kobal, who is restoring his ancestral home under Mount Norand and all that after doing all these epic things to reclaim it...destroying a bloodpool, for starters. Kobal's descendant should still be ruling that down the line when the story picks back up, and of course the only person who should be playing it is Harlas.

That's just one example... It's not starting with extra levels (as is suggested when you say "only certain people get their levels back"), or the hereditary +2342 Axe of Doom. It's just starting at the same level as everyone else, with some piece of a story that people have worked so hard on and the in-game responsibility on top of it.

It seems like the best option all around, for the people running and making it (fresh start), the newer players (everyone starting at the same level, rather than feeling under the shadow of the many epic characters), and the older players attached to either epic characters or ones who would still qualify as having made a serious mark on the world (able to progress from the same point as everyone else, but still have a character with a piece of that attachment and years-long development.)

Edit-- Couldn't stand to quote someone unsourced... I like the bare idea of this as I said, with a lot tweaking and maybe broadening it a little.

OneST8 - 2/7/2006  7:12 PM
When the world migrates, it'll be the start of a "new age" and all the current characters will become part of the "history of the current age" in some way. For instance Epic characters will become "Legendary" and their "children" will potentially inherit various things from their epic bloodline. (Possibly things like: Fort Raynold, Ashley Temple of Katia, etc where the decendants are the keepers of those places and must defend their bloodline.)

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:15:13 am »
I really hope we don't have the same characters running around. Many of us have had the same characters for a really long time. I wouldn't mind seeing them put to rest forever. Or in the case of some elves, perhaps made NPC's.

If that is what's going to happen though, I'd like to see notice though, so we can "wrap up" our stories. If that makes sense.

Doesn't really seem to make sense to me to have them continue in the new game sans levels. Part of the character is the levels. It would really be weird. Especially people that are quite famous for doing amazing deeds or whatever.

Not that any of it is mine to decide. Just giving my opinion. Heh.

Niles09

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 01:15:34 am »
I just dont think I could overcome using another year to get to lvl 11. Im not playing like four hours a day, but still I, and everyone else has used lots of time on this.

Schmack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:28:17 am »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 6/6/2006 8:09 PM Remember that in magical worlds, technology rarely thrives, so we shouldn't have any reason to worry about the level of technology increasing.

*shocked* How can you say that! What about all the cute little gnomes running around with their useless inventions, like the potato launcher! Wouldn't it be cool if the potato launcher was a weapon... *stares off blankly into space*

Uh... yes... back on topic, it probably would be better if it was set way into the future, as otherwise it'd be kind of unfair on the shorter lived races.

Schmack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:45:47 am »
Whoa, there is a TON of stuff on that page Acacea linked to, in fact, it was pretty much talking about what's going on here :)

Actually, I think I voted on that poll a while ago... *shrugs* Stupid memory not remembering things... *hits self on head*

Dezza

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:36:04 am »
I say complete wipe and whole new campaign...Current Epics get the chance to do some sort of quest to ascend to godhood to replace the ones killed by Blood (or whatever)...if it happens and essentially are out of the game except in place of some of the current gods.

hehe what do you reckon about them apples?

Varka

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 04:14:43 am »
As many have already said.
Complete wipe, fresh start, new campaign, new characters etc. But it would be cool with some legends/storries of the old epics.

Players can try something new, correct mistakes, go another way....etc.
The team: By making a wipe there are so many things suddenly open - history, able to correct "things/bugs/gaps/holes/etc" in all the experice they have gain from NWN1......balance of players...heck there is a lot.

To MOB: Character Transfer: Two words: - Who and fairplay?
If you look at it really really basically - How can you aruge that one player behind a screen is better than the other one?
For me (objective) - it does not matter if a player has played 1,2,5,10,20 or 20000000 months of Layo. What happens to one player should happen to all players.

(Subjective - Varka would of course survive all of you guys...somehow...... ;)  )

_M_O_B_

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 04:42:31 am »
Actually....after more thinking...

I think it should be a total wipe, with everyone making new characters. It'd be good to see the people play different characters than they'd be used to. Also ti'd be interesting to see all the bloodlines and children of the PC's in NWN1 Layo

lonnarin

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 04:42:31 am »
GhostWhoWalks - 6/6/2006  1:15 AM

Or in the case of some elves, perhaps made NPC's.

I want Bjornigar to be immortalized as a grizzled old quarry boss npc in the crafthall, yelling at newbies to fetch him ingots and teach them how to smelt and make armor. "ye wanna learn da riddle oh da steel lad?  git yer ah pickaxe and start chippin!"

Also, one must bribe him with some tavern food or a big fat mutton for him to even initialize the quest :P

As for new Characters, beware Ogzughimmal, Zigfried the Bardarian and Gromak Kneesplitter... They are insane.

silverdraco

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 05:52:32 am »
like most of you already said I't like to see a complete wipe.  give all of us a change to work on our current characters children/offspring, or start all over again with something that you haven't done before.  The options that a compleet wipe would open op for use all are big. I'm already thinking of a character I could use in layonara/NWN2, And I'd like that one to be of the same bloodline as my current character Sonya DarkAngel. The way things look right now I could make about 3 different kind of offspring for Sonya. :P  But i'll make just one for her, 2 at the very most.  I'll just wait for the team to make a desicion on this subject. But I still think I compleet wipe would be more fair to everyone. no mather how frustraiting it might be for the players who spent years on the current character.  i do hope that the palyers who are now against a comleet whipe will come to see the posibilities they will get when the team will deside for a compleet whipe, and years into the future.
  your fantasy and creativity and the setting of layonara/NWN2 will the only limitations.

Dorganath

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 06:03:03 am »
Layonara under NWN2 will be a different campaign completely. It will be set in the aftermath of the war with Blood, whether good or bad outcome. Clearly this has not concluded yet, so even thinking too much about how things will be can quickly become a futile exercise. How far in the future the new campaign takes place has not yet been decided. Really, until this happens, it's really difficult to discuss a character wipe (or lack thereof) with any certainty.
  Whatever option we decide on, however Leanthar decides to position the new campaign, the decision on characters and their disposition will be handled as fairly and transparently as possible.

anything