The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: University and Layonara.  (Read 945 times)

Dremora

University and Layonara.
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:26 pm »
Well, to get to the point of the matter.
It seems some aspect of the web service provided in the halls here does not get along with things like Steam, X-Chat 2, Gamespy Arcade for whatever reason.

I believe it was saying intranet services, when I visited a site online, are switched off and short of speaking with the IT people (which I will be doing); Enabling intranet access seems to be the last thing I can try to allow me to do anything online that isnt Internet Explorer-based.

If the crew here can't sort something out, I'll either need to get my own internet wireless thingy and set it up here which I don't have the money for atm or you guys won't be seeing me until next year. :/
Will let you know whats what for those interested.

The following users thanked this post: Jilseponie Wyndon, ShiffDrgnhrt, Mooneyes, Lance Stargazer, Alatriel, Zoogmunch

Lance Stargazer

Re: University and Layonara.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:44:21 pm »
Good luck on that mate.

Probably a thing with a blocked port by your university Proxy. and firewall , so the first thing to check out.

I don't know which port number NWN and Gamespy arcade uses, but its most the most common issue when something as this happens

Good luck and hope to see you in game soon

Cheers

cbnicholson

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »
I've got a tidbit that may be relevant.  *ahems* Sometimes I access layo from work but I have to wait for all the bioware stuff to time out then do a direct connect to layo's ip address since none of the dns stuff is available through bioware obviously. It usually takes about 2-3 minutes for the time out to happen. Have you tried that?
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Dremora

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »
What is layo's NWN IP address

cbnicholson

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »

Per here.

Oscar Wilde

Dremora

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:32:17 pm »
No idea what the link is about, takes me to three search engines but the direct connect to 64.15.70.106 (tried adding :5122 etc) just leads to the Server Timing Out and no connection being made :(

cbnicholson

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »
If someone else could post the ip they see when logging in that would be helpful.  The link I used is a dns lookup of west.layonara.com.  It may or may not be accurate depending.  I am unable to do so at the moment. ;)

Oscar Wilde

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:22 pm »
West Server IP address is as cbnicholson put it :

64.15.70.106:5121

cbnicholson

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »
If that doesn't work, my guess would be that your university has the port (s) blocked and there won't be much we can do from here to help. :(

Oscar Wilde

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »
How is it that you are trying to 'direct connect' to the server, Dremora? Using the standard NWN login?

Dremora

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 04:50:46 pm »
Through NwN and the gamespy room. Iused the direct connect at the bottom of the screen

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
There is another way to direct connect, I'm pretty sure, without using the gamespy menu. Anyone out there know how that works?

Filatus

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:37:30 pm »
Yeah, you can find it in the thread about Chat Logging. I don't think it differs from direct connect other than being faster since you skip the menu and everything.

Maybe the answer is assigning a specific port for NWN, like with that fix for multiple people behind a router?

Script Wrecked

Re: University and Layonara
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »
You mean setting up a Desktop Shortcut with the following in the "Target:" field?

[NOPARSE]"C:\\Program Files\\Neverwinter Nights\\NWN\\nwmain.exe" +connect 64.15.70.106:5121 +password ********[/NOPARSE]

Dremora

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:39 pm »
Will try when I get the chance, which won't be tonight lol :P.
Thanks in advance to you all.

Dremora

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56:32 am »
I tried making the direct connection suggested by milty and Script Wrecked but sadly it didn't work. :( Server not responding.
Having spoken to the university. They don't seem to allow any online play due to having 4k of tenants and their system would'nt be able to handle that much gaming. Also I cannot get my own net cause they won't let us install anything in the building that isn't theres. :/
Not sure about what that "make another port for it" meant, but if it was referring to the shortcut on the desktop then yeah didnt work.

Dremora

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 05:47:41 am »
Might have to take this machine home and just play whenever im visiting my mum and have spare time. Means you all won't be seeing me much anymore though and i'll be on weekends only; will bring an old laptop here since all it needs to do is sustain a net connection and have word, adobe and all the stuff you might use writing essays, readin pdfs etc lol.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18:27 am »
their system would'nt be able to handle that much gaming.

Sad. We have over 6,000 residents (next year we'll have near 7,000) at TTU, and if every single one of them were gaming at the same time, we'd still have bandwidth to spare.

You can keep up using IRC and the forums, though, so hope to see you still hanging around here.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »
If you have the coin Dremora, you could get a portabel internet stick that uses a 3G connection maybe.

Dremora

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 02:05:46 pm »
No X-Chat was blocked as well. Security reasons apparently. MSN as well, all instant messaging really.
Though much to our endless amusement, everytime they try and block skype they fail. The programming has something in it that bypasses whatever they do to shut it out.
I swear they just want to entomb us with nothing to do but get totally drunk or just work from AM to PM.

Edit: Might work gilshelm. Should probably ask about that, I'll explore my options as it and hopefully work out something before next year <.<
The TLP might have to do without me for abit though and if it takes too long to get anywhere, can just drop him. But we'll see.

Thanks again all, for the suggestions :)

anything