The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Use Magic Device  (Read 2201 times)

Script Wrecked

Use Magic Device
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:05:14 pm »
I would like to know if the Use Magic Device skill allows the use of scrolls and wands (on Layonara).

~Script Wrecked

willhoff

Re: Use Magic Device
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:21:44 pm »
I think it works like standard  nwn.  Nwn wiki is a good guide.  One caveat is if your a mage that specializes then they cant use scrolls of the forbidden/omitted school even with UMD

The following users thanked this post: Script Wrecked

davidhoff

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:10:03 pm »
It works fine yes.  There was a formula for rogues trying to use scrolls based on the scroll spell level.  Cant recall it but i kinda remember needing a umd in hi 20's to use 9th lvl scrolls.  There are some kinks with rogue and another spellcasting class when using scrolls but cant recall.  I think a umd of 15 to 20 should let you use most items.

Eldoran

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:56:51 pm »
Yup it works, my rogue can use scrolls and wands with UMD.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
As the others have expressed, UMD does function on Layo. However, the DCs are higher than stock NWN, I'm pretty sure. My suggestion is if you plan to use the skill, keep it maxed out.

silverblades

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 01:22:28 pm »
there's  a great WIKI guide on NWN Wiki. says the minimum number needed to use lvl 9 scrolls, its in the 20's, no sense in going higher  good info on builds as well.  If i find it ill post a link, UMD is good for using cross class items as well. IE monk boots, and wizard robes. specific rings. special bows and alignment restriction items,  cant wield exotics without the feat though.
There can be only One.

silverblades

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 01:24:04 pm »
That being said Ill check Johnny UMD and post it. he can do lvl 9's.
There can be only One.

davidhoff

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 04:44:16 pm »

willhoff

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 06:41:22 pm »
Vrebel can cast 9th lvl in combat with no fail.  He has a umd iof 33.  I  based it on the formula in wiki:  25 + 9 =34 to cast 9th lvl spells.  In combat you don't get to take a natural 20 on rolls.

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Chazzler