The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Use of fortune  (Read 762 times)

Pibemanden

Use of fortune
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:39:34 pm »
I was just talking to Ravemore earlier today and I was wondering if anyone has actually used their fortune points for anything? I for one haven't but after reading the rules again and looking at the fortune score of my characters I found that there were some quite interesting options.  So I would definatly consider using the fortune on my characters in the future after I rediscovered what it could be used for. Link to the fortune system explained:http://layonara.com/threads/10162156-the-fortune-system

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Ravemore

Lance Stargazer

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 08:31:39 pm »

I can tell you that I've spent a good deal of fortune points during quests and CDQ's myself, I usually try to limit it to once or twice per game session since as i see them they are preety good options as you mentioned, I know i've used them with Armand  , Aesthir and Lance, during some interactions. 

Brutus_Clawfoot

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:44:42 am »

Yeah I just learned about that recently too. Wow! thats a nice add! Borris used it to help buy his new house in Haven. You probly already know this but,

To find out how many you have type in any channel =cpoints and it will tell you.

To exchange them for xp or coin type in any channel =cexchange and it will guide you to a window to make your exchanges.

On the coin side its, 1=1000T I dont know how it translates on the xp side. Good luck and enjoy! : )

Dorganath

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:02 pm »

Quote from: "Brutus_Clawfoot"&cid="2753950"

I dont know how it translates on the xp side. Good luck and enjoy! : )

On the XP sde, 1 Fortune is (presently) equivalent to 1 hour of Quest XP, which is level-dependent.

Pibemanden

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:38 pm »

I am especially wondering about the CDQ and use during quests to gain an edge when dealing with NPCs.

How do you go about throwing in the 2 fortune to gain "connections", just toss it in when you hear of an interesting NPC, wait for a GM promt  telling you that you can use fortune here?

What is the difference between a CDQ where fortune is used towards a goal and "simply" a CDQ with a goal?

Do you need fortune now to "accomplish" something on your CDQ?

Dorganath

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:58:18 pm »

Quote from: "Pibemanden"&cid="2753961"

I am especially wondering about the CDQ and use during quests to gain an edge when dealing with NPCs.

How do you go about throwing in the 2 fortune to gain "connections", just toss it in when you hear of an interesting NPC, wait for a GM promt  telling you that you can use fortune here?

So of course, use of Fortune is completely optional, whether we're talking about a CDQ or just a regular quest.  And of course, it's imperative to work with a GM to use Fortune to its intended effect.

Having said this, I do not recommend just tossing in Fortune when you see or hear of an interesting NPC. I thing generally speaking, you would approach your interactions with an NPC in the same way you would if Fortune did not exist.  Most commonly, if you actually met and interacted with the NPC, you could use Fortune to boost your social skill rolls (i.e. Bluff, Persuade, etc.), particularly if your rolls came out pretty poor.  On that last, let's say you rolled a 1 on a check. You could immediately ask the GM to spend a Fortune point for a reroll or maybe two for a more definite boost.

On another hand, if this NPC was someone who your character may not be interacting with yet but you wanted to try and build up some kind of scenario where by the time you actually met the NPC, that NPC might have heard something about your character and possibly have a positive opinion of you...in such a case you might work with a GM and use Fortune to help that scenario play out favorably.

These are of course two very vague examples, but that is by intent. There's really a lot of lattitude and a lot of possibilities that do not lend themselves well to listing with specifics.

What is the difference between a CDQ where fortune is used towards a goal and "simply" a CDQ with a goal?

Nothing. Whether you or not you use Fortune in the course of your CDQ is up to you.  Likely the only difference may be in the outcome and your Fortune total at the end. And when I say "outcome" I do not mean to imply that Fortune can guarantee a specific result; it can't.  However, it may tip things in your balance.  In other words, someone with a lot of Fortune could not lay down a large number of points to guarantee success. It does not work that way. 

Do you need fortune now to "accomplish" something on your CDQ?

Not at all. 

The rules for CDQs are as they have always been.  GMs are not (and should not be) making CDQs harder with the assumption of players spending Fortune. Similarly, use of Fortune in a CDQ (or any quest) will not guarantee success. Ever.

Fortune is not and should never be an "I win" card.  Since GMs must adjudicate (and deduct) Fortune used in this way, there's ultimately that check and balance to keep people from buying results.

Lance Stargazer

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »

In my experience the fortune its just a way to improve the ways to achive things in a Rp way, I usually go with a rule of thumb in the use for NPC's if it make sense up to the character, for example if it were with Lance and he is in trelania, and need to get lets say a wagon or to met with someone who may or may not be available, Since Lance has done some things in Trelania , specifically in the area of Llast for example, its belivable to think  he would have known someone who has access to methods to make easier the task, for example a councilman to help with some paperwork in the kingdom.   It has to come from me as a player to come up with the initiative of looking for someone and explaining to the GM the how and why's without being closed into our thoughts, this of course would be up to the GM discretion if the situation is doable or not, and what would be the cost in Fortune that the exact action may be.

The uses i've most given uses though has been to succeed in exeptional tasks, and asking for a natural 20 on specific actions when a roll is requiered and that action is key to a series of actions or plans. 

In my opinion , GM's won't give you options on how to spend fortune points during the plot of the quest, but it should come to an intent from the player with colaboration of the GM to fit on what its posible during the proper quest storyline.

I don't understand the last question though .

Hope that this helped a bit.

Ravemore

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »

I've personally used Fortune a few times in the CDQ environment with my character... but only for dice rolls where I needed a success badly. As a GM I do not present their use as a possibility, I leave that up to the player to ponder/consider and ask for. I would welcome any discussion of their use and possible impact in any of my in-game quests or forum plot-lines though. I do not subscribe to the school of thought that dumping a large amount of points into a quest or CDQ will result in a guaranteed successful outcome... it just increases the likelihood of success, or pushes things slightly in the players favor.

My GM style and viewpoints are pretty much spot on with how Lance is describing it I think...

anything