The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: weapon finesse question  (Read 52 times)

pejsaboy

• View Profile
    weapon finesse question
    « on: September 12, 2006, 05:45:18 pm »
    I took the weapon finesse feat for Gilli and have been using a shortsword mainly. I've noticed though, that I hit much more consistently when I use a dagger instead of the shortsword. Both weapons are on the list of finessable weapons, and LORE only says that small races [gnomes and halflings] cannot finesse the rapier as it is two-handed for them. So, I need to know if everything's working right. As far as I can tell, I should hit equally consistently with either the dagger or the shortsword since they're both one handed, light weapons.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: weapon finesse question
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:03:10 pm »
    A more telling way to see which "hits more often" is to open up the character sheet in-game, and look at the attack bonus for the dagger and shortsword. If you've got Finesse (and good on you if you do!), the bonuses should be the same for both, as a halfling.

Whether you're ACTUALLY hitting things more often with one or another is purely a matter of probability - remember, you can always get a string of rolls that will make a pretty convincing coincidence. Just doesn't make it necessarily so.

pejsaboy

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:24:32 pm »
      I've looked at the character sheet, and it doesn't appear that i get a bonus with either weapon. If I understand correctly, I should  get a +4  with a DEX of 19. If I am getting a bonus, it's not showing on the character sheet for either weapon. My unarmed is +7, and when I equip either, it's still a +7.

Davaeorn

• View Profile
        « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
        The bonus to attack applies to all weapons for you're character and that includes unarmed attacks. Without weapon finesse your attack would have been 3+STR modifier. Now, it is 3+Dex. If you want to get an additional bonus to attack for using your weapon of choice, you need to take weapon focus, epic weapon focus or the weapon master prestige class.

Check this out for the formal information on weapon finesse: http://www.nwnwiki.org/Weapon_finesse

pejsaboy

• View Profile
          « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:57:48 pm »
          Ok, that makes sense why no bonuses are appearing on the character sheet. I think I took it at 1st level, so that's why I wouldn't have noticed the difference on the CS. Thanks for the clarification!

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:02:31 pm »
          *chuckles* The information at nwnwiki should be the exact same information on LORE

Varnart

• Followers of Aragen
            • Followers of Lucinda
            • Followers of Rofirein
            • View Profile
          « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 02:21:52 am »
          Well, you couldn't have taken it at first level either, because rigues have 0 base attack bonus at that level, and the feat requires +1. You probably took it at third level, when you gain a feat and rogues have +2 base attackk bonus. And, Davaeorn, Weapon Finesse doesn't apply to all attacks, just those with light weapons, which means shortsword-sized or smaller weapons and some exceptions, suc as the rapier and the whip. Unarmed strikes are considered light weapons, that's why you get to apply weapon finesse to them. If you have weapon finesse and equip a greatsword, you should see a drastic decrease in your attack bonus.

Cheers!

mixafix

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:45:20 am »
          can you not see further down the same character sheet the unaltered attack number? which should be less..or much less depending on dex.

pejsaboy

• View Profile
            « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:51:46 pm »
            Ok, I did a little messing around with the contest of champions module bioware provides, and you're right varnart: I did take it at 3rd level. The feat is working correctly, I just seem to miss a lot more using the shortsword for some odd reason. I'll have to do a little more testing down in the undercity to see if it evens out or anything. Thanks for all the help and explanations everyone!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 01:12:18 pm »
            pejsaboy - 9/13/2006  5:51 PM
            I just seem to miss a lot more using the shortsword for some odd reason.

Strange and inexplicable.

As a wise man once said, "Such is the way of the d20."

anything