The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: What is the Calem Rule?  (Read 112 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

What is the Calem Rule?
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:44:30 pm »
Just curious.

EdTheKet

Re: What is the Calem Rule?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:59:13 pm »
"Acting stupid will get you killed."

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 01:43:13 pm »
Oh, how I wish all life were governed by the Calem Rule.

feniox

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:36:47 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 5/17/2006  1:43 PM

Oh, how I wish all life were governed by the Calem Rule.

There wouldn't be much left...

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 03:41:08 pm »
That rule is often referenced in cases when people wondered if they were too low level to survive on a quest.  He's pretty open about unilateral involvement outside the classist and levelist (class warfare based on level difference) restrictions of common group cohesion.  In sub-Vulcan terms, you can usually join a quest of people much higher than you if you have something to contribute to the unit, but... "Acting Stupid Will Get you Killed".

This is in stark contrast to the common misconception that being too low level will get you killed in itself.  Tis not the level that usually matters, but the acting stupid while having a low level... ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:40:54 pm »
Reminds me of a 6th-level Pyyran running around with 12th level fighters and being hailed as a handy asset. (Due in great part to luck on my part of being able to hit everything they wanted to kill.)

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:45:18 pm »
You know that Rogues aren't supposed to be frontliners anyway, so it's all good for Pyyran. ;)

Chongo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:27:24 pm »
Now I understand the basis of the rule, but what's the derivation?  Who's Calem?  Why was he stupid?

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:30:54 pm »
Calem is Pankoki's CDQ avatar.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:36:28 pm »
Calem is the DM name for one of the GMs here (Pankoki).  His quests are usually pretty tough but really fun.  He sets level limts based on the Calem rule.  I have seen him allow lower level characters in quests but subjected them to the rule if they were stupid.  I think that is the history.  Correct me someone if I am wrong.

darkwulf365

RE: What is the Calem Rule?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 07:32:05 pm »
The Calem rule shouldn't scare anybody away, though it should definately make you think.  

And in fact you could possibly find relief knowing that the lvl 16 character next to you has the same chance of kicking the rule into effect as you do.  

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 08:12:01 pm »
Thats the origin of the name but I don't know if pan has used calem as his avatar in a while... He had been using some silly name one.  But not even close to as silly as the one storm was using. ;P

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:14:01 pm »
Pyyran rocks.  Not only is he an incredibly well roleplayed character, but he has guts to jump in and do sneak damage with quick enough feet to survive out of sheer common sense.  Let the fighters fight, take the flank, clockwork.  Pyrran most certainly satisfies Calem qualifications, able to survive a high powered encounter and be continually useful, both as assassain and comedic relief.

Never underestimate a character's ability to boilster the party's fun-meter. ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 08:22:11 pm »
lonnarin - 5/17/2006  11:14 PM

Pyyran rocks.  Not only is he an incredibly well roleplayed character, but he has guts to jump in and do sneak damage with quick enough feet to survive out of sheer common sense.  Let the fighters fight, take the flank, clockwork.  Pyrran most certainly satisfies Calem qualifications, able to survive a high powered encounter and be continually useful, both as assassain and comedic relief.

Never underestimate a character's ability to boilster the party's fun-meter. ;)

I love you right now. You just made my birthday, man. Thanks. *Glowing.*

If I didn't need sleep, I'd beg you to get on as Bjorn again so we could go root around for some gold.

((On topic, I've tried to play Pyyran by his rather quick-shifting, yet predictable nature... He takes on challenges, but keeps out of harm to the best of his ability. It's what adventurers do, right? Calem Rule (though I didn't know it as that) has been all that's kept him alive, even out of quests. It's a good idea to practice it all the time, especially as a Rogue.))