The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Why I don't log in (I will be tonight!)  (Read 1377 times)

merlin34baseball

Why I don't log in (I will be tonight!)
« on: September 02, 2016, 07:49:55 pm »
Hey Team,I was just about to log on, I have lots of freetime tonight, and I realized why I don't routinly  anymore. The whole introduction thing that hides characters names when trying to send a tell upon logging in. I don't play much anymore but sometimes I have a hour or two where I can jump on. But... when I get on I can't see which character is which to send a tell and get into a group and have some fun in my limited time. Sending random tells to "someone" is no fun.Let me tell you there is nothing more frusterating than looking at the server status page and seeing folks I know and logging in only having to hunt them down in tell after tell to the wrong person.It makes joining the game and getting going a sloooow process, and with my very limited playtime I simply dont log in due to the fact that I know I'm going to waste my play time sending tells to the wrong people. (not to mention that I dont think the list is static, the "someones" on  the list move around with relogs...)Anyhow, I'm going to log in, and pester the "Someones" til maybe I get a party.Thank ya for reading, I mean no disrespect, but just wanted to bring up a major block to folks trying to get an hour or two once in a while in game.

The following users thanked this post: Lance Stargazer, RollinsCat

willhoff

If you know the player's
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:20:10 pm »

If you know the player's bioware name I think there's a way you can send a tell to them by typing that it in the chat area and then sending a tell?

Acacea

willhoff wrote:If you know
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:36:09 pm »

Quote from: "willhoff"&cid="2760951"

If you know the player's bioware name I think there's a way you can send a tell to them by typing that it in the chat area and then sending a tell?

/t "Sarillia Joshuatree" Hey

/tp Bill1199 What's up

These show on server status too, so if you already know you want to talk to someone, you can just copy their bioware name from there. 

merlin34baseball

How hard should it be?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:54:31 pm »

How hard should it be? especially for new folks?

davidhoff

Yeah, gota say not a big fan
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:44 pm »

Yeah, gota say not a big fan of the whole "someone" system hehe.  I think the concept was with good intention though.

Acacea

I just offered a suggestion
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:12:43 pm »

I just offered a suggestion without further comment because I didn't implement it as is, nor can I do anything about it, hehe. Even if I could, feeling sympathy for one person's troubles wouldn't give me an idea of the more general attitudes of everyone who plays, regularly and not, and I didn't give my own opinions because you didn't really seem to be asking, you know? "I have a problem." "Hope this helps." 

Dorganath

Hey, thanks for your
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 12:21:44 am »

Hey, thanks for your comments.

I also did not implement the "Someone" system, but viable options were given for your particular quandry. The changes were made for RP purposes, and yeah, there are definitely strong pros and cons to it. The suggestions about using the Bioware/login name (as opposed to the character name) for sending tells is the best one I can offer at this time.

That said...if the prevailing opinion sways toward moving things back to how they used to be, we'll go that way...however so far the reception has seemed to be positive, overall.

silverblades

I kinda like the "someone".
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 08:11:20 pm »

I kinda like the "someone". this lets me know if my character has been introduced to them or not. so I dont have to  introduce myself  to someone my character already knows even though I cant remember them.

As for forming a party Just do what most do and sent out random party invites or tells to "invite". 

There can be only One.

Alatriel

I like the "Someone" thing
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 11:27:44 am »

I like the "Someone" thing for the floaty text above the characters and for rp, etc.  The only place I really don't like it is in the player list for all of the reasons that merlin described.  If it could be that the floaty text and intro system can still be in place while the player list remains that we can see people, then to me that would be ideal, but that may be one of those "have your cake and eat it too" scenarios.  Granted, what's the point of having cake if you can't eat it.