The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Why I still visit the Forums  (Read 218 times)

Pseudonym

Why I still visit the Forums
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:59:49 pm »
Some days you read the forums and you get a bit discouraged right?

This person not happy about this, this person not happy about that. One gets tempted to leave the forums pages well alone and just play the game. I get enough negativity at work, I don't need to get it in my play as well. I'll just remove forums.layonara.com from my bookmarks, I think i'll just enjoy the game for what it is ...

Which prompts my question to myself, Why do I still visit the forums every single day?

My answer,

The community.
I love knowing the player behind the character. I love knowing the names of DMOE's kids. I love knowing how different Polak is in RL to how his character is in game. I love knowing that Dorg, despite every reason to have lost it during his long reign as dispute handler, retains a great sense of humour. I honestly care about people's wellbeing here, Interia, Solarina ... I hope Nibor is okay. Maybe he's run off with Minnie Driver? How do I know we share an unrequited love for Minnie? The PM system in these forums. I like knowing that LordCove and I could be friends in RL, Sall's sense of humour and flawed nobility has to come from somewhere.

I love reading each and every one of lonnarin's posts, no matter what the subject. The guy is irrefutably a legend. I cannot wait to see Darkstorme's and jrizz's and Acacea's perspectives on new submissions. I love a submission where the player has invested the time and thought. I love Lynnjuniper's CDT for Rhynn, Fatherchaos' for Durthak, Scriptwrecked's for Vlanin, Dezza's for Leisa, too many to name. I love writing in mine. I purposely write provocative Trade Hall advertisements because I enjoy reading the responses OOC as much as I write them that way for any IC reason. I think it's great that Filatus and I agree on so much in these forums and yet our characters are on the verge of PvP every time they meet in game. I voraciously digest any discussion on RPing alignments and attributes. I was more educated by a forum discussion on global warming that took place on a thread here a little while ago than my accumulated knowedge on this subject from any other media. I love reading posts written in dwarven accents.

I think Honora is one of Layo's greatest assets. Everything she writes, I enjoy reading, and believe me, I know it ain't easy to write this stuff. Much harder than it seems. I put my hand up maybe 6 months ago to write some stuff and in that time have maybe generated 10 pages? This woman is amazing. I cannot wait for the handbooks. Which leads me on to her hubby, every post he writes I feel like clicking on the thanks button.

The owners/administrators, Orth, OneST8, Thak, the big L. They all have a bigger capacity for copping ungratefulness on the chin with a smile than I do. Thanks to you.

I love being involved in the various faith forums. I play one Corathite ne'er-do-well and, amusingly, one less well known Aeridinite priest. I enjoy questions of faith interpretation for both of these from people that have invested a lot of thought on the matter. I admire and respect Ed for holding and organising this huge store of lore in that head of his.

The Just for Fun thread. A little bit of flippancy never hurt.

Why do I still visit the forums every single day?

Maybe you have some of your own reasons, these are some of mine. Focus on the positive!

LynnJuniper

Re: Why I still visit the Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:14:14 pm »
Jeez ^^; Thanks...I guess I should keep mine a bit more up to date. Ill be writing a BIG one for my WLDQ though.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:14:14 pm »
Layo wouldn't exist without the forums aka the community.

I wonder if I'll ever run into one of your characters, Pseudo.... silly Australian time-zones.

Skywatcher

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:49 pm »
I agree.  I love the forums although activity has gone down a bit lately.

Honora

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:03 pm »
Pseudo, thank you very much!  It's for folks like you that I beat my muse to a pulp :).

Not to indulge in a mutual admiration society, but your posts make me laugh every time I read them.  And re-read them!

I come back to the forums to see who's what, who has written something new, what my friends are doing in their CDTs, whose birthday is it, who has gained (like when a child is born) or lost (like when Schiff lost his bunny).  Layo is more a family than any other game I've played and any other board I've been on.  That's why I come back.

jrizz

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:25:24 am »
yeah Pseud you always crack me up. Thanks

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:26:11 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym

I love reading each and every one of lonnarin's posts, no matter what the subject. The guy is irrefutably a legend.

Aha! somebody finally recognizes the method behind my madness.  Seriously though, thanks so much for the compliment.  My greatest regret is not living in a better timezone to hit your standalone quests.  Now with my fulltime job responsibilities and subsequent sleeptime necessities, I can't stay up past midnite most nights or the corporate world turns me into a pumpkin.  On the plus side at least, I now can afford sizeable donations at semi-regular intervals, so know that the love of Lonnarin follows ye beyond timezone categorizationas on at least some metaphysical level. ;)

When I finally kick this habit of trying to vanquish the Dawn of War campaign series, I'll make my way back here.  This game is the most addictive mistress I've ever had...  I must beat it entirely on hard or *it* wins...  Orkish Waaagh pride is at stake.  Da Boyz iz needin me Generalish guidance.

My roommate Skabot has already returned from vacation up north and is back in action, urging me to log on in the near future.  We need to figure out RL Dming schedules for saturdays and start planning the weekend LAN Layo Mayhem around that soon.  (He runs D&D tabletop, and I'm running Shadowrun, at least 8hrs/week tabletop mayhem/week for us zealots)  Once we have our RL RPG gaming sorted out and some PC RPG gaming time allotted, we shall be appropriate Layo zombies yet again!

Rak and Kor shall lead Layo Orc Nation into the next era... no doubt.