The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Need Windows 7 Help!  (Read 427 times)

ShiffDrgnhrt

Need Windows 7 Help!
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:00:14 pm »
Heya, I'm hoping you guys can help me solve a problem.  I have a extraneous Partition on my hard drive from when I bought it, meant to be for Backup Space.  However, I have a external HD for backups, and now I find myself trying to make use of the backup partition.  But I don't know how to merge the System Partition with the backup, and no matter how I try to extend the System Partition, it won't let me do anything with the 15 gb of Back up space.  I've tried deleting the back up and extending the system, but it won't actually let me extend.  I've tried the windows App DiskPart but it does not want to let me extend  the partition either.  Does anyone know how I can fix this without formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows?

jadewillow

Re: Need Windows 7 Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:36:23 pm »

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:48:09 pm »
I tried all that already.  It won't work.  :(

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:44 pm »
I don't have any suggestions beyond those already made.  But before you go messing with your partition tables (and there's a very good reason why you can't just grow/shrink them easily), save yourself a lot of potential grief and make sure that you have anything important on your existing partition(s) backed up.  If something goes wrong and your partition tables get erased or corrupted, you will lose a whole lot of data.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:03:12 pm »
I guess I will just leave it be until I have time to back everything up and try something more drastic (like a reinstall of the OS).  Oh well.  Guess I have to just have a cracked up HD.

cbnicholson

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:49 am »
Sounds to me like this backup space was created by the vendor of your pc. You will have to repartition and reformat the drive to reclaim it. Possibly with a third party tool other than windows. I use this program here for such situations myself.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:38:15 am »
Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions.  I decided that I'd put all the NWN program data on that partition, since it's about the same size, and make use of the space until reformatting becomes necessary.  This way, at least, I have the the space used, which frees up 12 gb on my primary partition.  :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:40 pm »
Hope it has a bit more space, never know when the hacks will become bigger with additions.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »
I have a few gigabytes to spare still.

Frendh

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:54 am »
Otherwise I hear partition magic can merge partitions.

anything