The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: wizard hat  (Read 1490 times)

Chuckles_McChuck

wizard hat
« on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »
For customization purposes, is the wizard hat look only for male characters and/or specific races?I know you can get the look, but couldn't find it for my character.  If female elves can get the look could someone inform me what the item code for it is?If not, well, I think it's a crime my female elf can't have an over the top flamboyant wizards hat.  Heh.

Acacea

I believe the hat is just a
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:26:55 pm »

I believe the hat is just a head selection on character creation. We only have one real "hat", which is the feathered one in the robes section. A new one would similarly have to be some non-head slot decorative item or a vfx. 

Not a fan of the various hat-heads, really. I think most of them are tacky and just clutter up the selection... hehe.

Chuckles_McChuck

Acacea wrote:Not a fan of the
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »

Quote from: "Acacea"&cid="2761956"

Not a fan of the various hat-heads, really. I think most of them are tacky and just clutter up the selection... hehe.

do you mean the actual helmet selections or do you mean the special ones you cycle through when you customize your main cloths?  If its the former I do agree, there are not a lot of non helmet options which is just not suitable for a wizard like character.  If I recall it was something that was hard to implement because Bioware made the game in a way where helmets completely took over the face animation, which is why there were no open faced helmets in the base game.  I just wish the open faced options that were added into Layonara via haks were accessable through the helmet options.

Also, if I recall, some cloths looks are exempted to certain races and genders

Chuckles_McChuck

On a side note, is there a
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »

On a side note, is there a way to have the wizard hat animation on Lia via the hood she wears, but requires DM involvement or is it virtually impossible?

Or would I have to sacrifice a bit of my robe look to have it?  I cycled through all the options I think and didn't see it, which is why I'm wondering if its a gender thing.

Acacea

I'm talking about heads. The
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »

I'm talking about heads. The hat is a head, at character creation, that happens to be wearing a hat. There are several heads which have various helmets, circlets, or hats built in, and those are the ones I meant I wasn't a big fan of. Neema's current head is hooded and veiled, for example, which you cannot do via clothing alteration.

You remember right about open-faced helmets not being possible by default because the helmet replaces the head entirely, which is why I said actual hats would have to be clothing parts (like the robe hat) or vfx, the latter of which we don't support at this time. 

As far as I know, there is no wizard hat that is not a head... and I believe the head itself is human male or female.

Edit just to further clarify, hopefully:

I just wish the open faced options that were added into Layonara via haks were accessable through the helmet options.

Layonara has no open-faced helms. It has one robe that looks like a hat, otherwise it's just actual heads with headpieces built into them ;) Hopefully that made more sense. 

Chuckles_McChuck

yes it does, thank you.so
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:07:31 pm »

yes it does, thank you.

so what is vfx ?  I only ask because you mentioned Layo doesn't have it at the time (originally assumed visual effects).  Does it offer many more options for gear appearances and is just not supported by Layonara yet?  Will it ever be?

Acacea

It does stand for visual
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:00 pm »

It does stand for visual effects, yeah. Basically, people add models to the visual effects options and scale/align them to PCs with scripts, whether circlets, horns, or quivers. There even was talk in the modding community a few years back of shifting to bald heads and using vfx for hairs, to allow more customization, but obviously since people have to make the heads, hairs, and various other things, it's not trivial, heh. The few servers I've seen put the manpower into doing something like that were more social-oriented, and so I think benefited more from things like necklaces and earrings and hairstyles. There are existing resources that aren't so ambitious, more on the level of adding a few new placeables, but you still need to add the means for PCs to use them -- are they tied to a helm? Do they "use" a special object? Is it changed through dialogue? etc -- that regardless of the answer would have to be implemented.

In that theme -- and you should understand first that I'm not and have never been associated with the building of Layo's module and integration of custom content -- I could hazard a guess and say while it's not impossible, once you take our negligible manpower resources into consideration, that they would probably be more efficiently spent elsewhere. That's not to say most of us wouldn't love more quality customization options and other pretties, just that when weighed against other things (and eyeballing hak size), it probably doesn't float to the top of the list. 

That said, I'm with you in spirit! I'm a huge modding junkie, so I tend to hoard CC projects and add them to ever-growing Layo wishlists, hehe

Edited for clarity