The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Church forum sections  (Read 1110 times)

Wintersheart

• View Profile
    Church forum sections
    « on: August 16, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
    Would it be possible to have a restricted forum section for each faith in the same way the guilds have restricted sections? Certainly I would like to have a Church of Mist forum.

In this way we could leave messages, prepare events, exchange gossip and ask questions within the church. Also I sometime find that as a cleric I have a questions I really should now - that kind of info could also be placed within the faith forum.

The forums should be open to clerics, monks and paladins of their respective faiths and perhaps a select few important lay persons that command respect in the clergy.

:) :) :) :)

Rolf
    Servant of Mist

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Leanthar

RE: Church forum sections
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:16:00 pm »
    I love this idea but I can not imagine the nightmare it would be to manage a restricted forum for each of the deities. If you want it open to all then yes, easy enough... but restricted... that would take a LOT of effort to set up and then far far more to keep up.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
      One way I thought this might work would be that one or two clerics would function as moderators and people would apply the same way as per guild forums.

If we could run a test I would be happy to help in the running of the Mist one though I would also suggest one of the larger faiths such as Vorax ("shudders") or Toran could have a go.

:) :) :) :)
      Rolf

Wintersheart

• View Profile
        « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
        P.S. We could start with the different faiths placing requests if they wanted one, not all might want one.

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
        The problem is that to add users to a user group (restricted access) you must have more than moderator rights, you must have forum administrator rights... That just is not going to happen.

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
        If we can figure something out that is fine... but to have restricted access (and I know why you are asking for that) I just don't see how we can do it and to keep up.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
          « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 04:38:00 pm »
          Ok i can understand the management issues here now - thought forum moderators could grant or deny acces.

I am not sure how big the interest would be among the other players for this, but I would find it most usefull to communicate with other followers of Mist privately. If it is open access I fear that many characters would act on something they had no way of knowing because their players had read the forum.

Rolf

Leanthar

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
          "...I am not sure how big the interest would be among the other players for this, but I would find it most usefull to communicate with other followers of Mist privately. If it is open access I fear that many characters would act on something they had no way of knowing because their players had read the forum..."
            100% agree.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
            « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 04:56:00 pm »
            Thank you for your promt replies. I can understand the management issues at stake. Perhaps we could let the idea simmer some time and see if anyone has any (other) good suggestions.

As it is I am all open ears for suggestions on how to make the in-church communication easier than today.

:)
            Rolf

aragwen

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30:00 am »
            I think it is a great idea, but allow access to all followers, not just clerics and paladins.
              One way of maybe solving the problem is to add the ability to send PM to a group instead of an individual. So we could create a group of players that follow Mist for example and the group could communicate with PM's. You will have one owner of the group who can add players to the group.
              Not sure if something like this is possible.

EdTheKet

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14:00 am »
            Maybe you could create an IRC channel on the Layo-IRC? Of course it wouldn't store any info.
              And for discussions with your characters, it'd be better to do in game.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 04:59:00 pm »
            You could set up weekly church meetings in the temple to discuss things pertinent to the church.  Maybe a DM involved in the church (like rhiz has been involved with mist a bit lately) could drop by as an npc priest and take part in the meeting giving some news about the church that clerics should know by picking up gossip etc when they regularly go into the temples but can't since theres no one to play the npcs they should be getting the gossip from.

However I'd advise avoiding setting up a neato meeting process like, one person does a prayer, then you review last weeks meeting, then move on, then do closing prayer etc.

This would probably be the format of a real meeting, and you can pretend you went through it all, and maybe go through it all sometimes, but I advise against it because I was a member of a guild on another server before I came here that had very ornate and detailed meetings.  They were very cool and quite realistic... but... after a couple of them I started to contemplate the consequences of pulling the plug on my internet.  Exchange of information is important, but there are enough long boring meetings in RL I personally feel absolutely no need to recreate similar situations for fun. heh.

-TV

P.S. appoint someone as "chairman" or something to regulate the flow of the meeting so it doesnt bog down.  Real important.

Dezza

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
            This comes back to a request a while ago for one forum for us as players to use for all religious matters. I know the thread is for restricted forums but one open forum for such matters would be a great start.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
              « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 12:05:00 am »
              An open forum would a start, but I still find that the need for privacy is paramount. A list of clerics etc of different faiths would be practical.

As for limiting it to clerics/paladins/druids etc this comes partly from the need for privacy and partly because the forums would represent church lore, gossip, history etc things that would not be known to the greater public. However there could easily be exceptions and in the case of Folian and Katia rangers could certainly be included.

Meeting in game, we already do (though not on a set basis), but it is not always practical, possible nor reliable to set up in character meetings. Also the knowledge gained here tends to be transitory in nature, it does not carry well over to new generations.

Finally having it placed on forums would provide new clerics with  vault of information to immerse themselves in.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
                • View Profile
              « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 12:16:00 am »
              I wouldn't mind a forum for the Dorandite Church. I mean... I'm rarely in game... but Ta'k still exists and is still high in the church ranks. Really, most priests would never necessarily meet Ta'k, but they would still hear from him, report to him via the post and messengers and such.

The forum would kinda be like that.

I mean... yeah, they can always PM me. But I find it doesn't really ever happen. A forum I think would encourage people.

I don't see that it's necessary to have them private though. If I wanted to tell something to an individual and keep it private... that's what a PM is for.

Having open forums would be a cool start I think. See if there is even interest?

aragwen

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:36:00 am »
              I agree....open forum would be a great start....perhaps sub-sections at least per deity group that are interested. The sub-section just so that one can focus on a selected deity, such as Folian posts and dont have to read through all of the other deities.
                And yes Rolf I agree it would be better to have it private, but this is a start. Hopefully people wont, and I know some do, RP forum information that they should not have knowledge off. 
                I would be very interested in a forum of Folian.

IDii

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 06:34:00 am »
              Well I like the idea of restricted forums for the churches that want it. We shouldn't automatically create them, but say if at least 3 followers of that god request them... then say they'd have to be lvl7+ too.

Then I guess have few those people or some influential people of the clergy moderating that forum. Then working with the admin responsible of the deity/group forums when it comes to adding and removing people (removing would have to be with a good reason).

If it's just about not having the admin power to add the forums and manage the lists... well I'm volunteering to do that. I use a ton of time on the forums doing nothing anyway, this shouldn't really take me too much time.

IDii

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 03:49:00 am »
              Alright, I'm going to be working on this stuff. Going for private forums for the religious groups.

Making another post about it soon too... so those groups who have active people should tell contact me... I assume a few deities have pretty large groups following them. Some not I guess.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
                « Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 04:06:00 am »
                Thanks!

:)  :)  :)  :)

Rolf

IDii

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 07:06:00 am »