The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Deity-Related Discounts  (Read 570 times)

Kindo

Deity-Related Discounts
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:49 am »
In a way, I suppose it makes some sense that the merchants of Deliar offer the "best prices" on goods, but I would also like to put forth the suggestion to implement discounts, directly related to a character's faith, if he or she makes business within a temple of their own Deity. This would of course not apply to anyone who simply prefers one Deity over another, but to those who are actively persuing and exercising their faith (Clerics, Druids, Monks, Paladins). It is mainly for completion purposes, as the discount does not have to be very high, and the prices offered in the temple of Deliar can still be the lowest (if that is your intention with the place), and it would give characters more of an insentive to mainly do business within their own temples.

Dorganath

RE: Deity-Related Discounts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 06:53:50 am »
Not to be argumentative, but shouldn't a character want to do business with his/her own temple or at least one friendly/allied anyway without having to be bribed with discounts?
  On the same note, when buying from a temple store, you're essentially helping to support that temple and by extension that faith. Why would someone of the faith wish to give less to their own temple?

Kindo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:02:43 am »
Dorganath - 3/8/2007  3:53 PM    Not to be argumentative, but shouldn't a character want to do business with his/her own temple or at least one friendly/allied anyway without having to be bribed with discounts?
  On the same note, when buying from a temple store, you're essentially helping to support that temple and by extension that faith.  Why would someone of the faith wish to give less to their own temple?

Of course. But taking a half-hour trip everytime to pick up supplies, at almost twice the cost, is not always fun. It coincides with my other suggestion, that you also commented on. I feel making money is hard, and even though I prefer doing business with the temple of my own faith, it makes it really difficult to afford all I need when I venture outside. It would feel less uncomfortable "supporting the temple of my faith", if it was easier to get to in the first place. Don't worry... I'm hardcore, if that's what you're worried about. I thought the suggestion made sense, and I was not even considering a discount as hefty as the one in Deliar's temple. It's more symbolic than anything.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 07:34:33 am »
Hmm...I think I see part of the confusion...
  Deliar isn't offering discounts. Shops in large towns give a better price than those in small or medium towns. This is one of those economic factors that has nothing to do with deity.
  In fact, in buying from the merchants in Port Hempstead, you're not buying from the temple directly. Temple stores are a different thing altogether.
  I don't know if that helps to clarify things, but it seems you may be confusing temple stores with town stores.

Kindo

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:26:42 am »
Dorganath - 3/8/2007  4:34 PM    Hmm...I think I see part of the confusion...
  Deliar isn't offering discounts.  Shops in large towns give a better price than those in small or medium towns.  This is one of those economic factors that has nothing to do with deity.
  In fact, in buying from the merchants in Port Hempstead, you're not buying from the temple directly.  Temple stores are a different thing altogether.
  I don't know if that helps to clarify things, but it seems you may be confusing temple stores with town stores.

Alright, I was not aware of this economic factor. It makes sense though. I still hold true to my suggestion to offer a symbolic discount in temples which the character serve, however.

Polak76

Re: Deity-Related Discounts
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:46:49 pm »
reading this raised a question in my mind.  If someone purchases anything from a temple store, does a portion of this go towards the Temple Donation?