The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Color Of DM Text/Speech  (Read 1031 times)

Script Wrecked

The Color Of DM Text/Speech
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:22:55 am »
Is it possible to have the color of DM text/speech to be something other than the default white (I'm thinking something along the lines of yellow)?

Too many times it seems I miss information because I have to look down at the keyboard to type, and when I look up again, I may or may not be able to pick all the points that have been said since I looked down. For PC conversations and emotes, its bad enough, but when you miss something critical by the DM, you can be left scratching your head for the rest of the session.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

The following users thanked this post: HooD!uM, Nehetsrev, Hellblazer, Lynn1020, davidhoff

Dorganath

Re: The Color Of DM Text/Speech
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:20 am »
Do you mean just for normal GM speech or things spoken through NPCs as well?

Script Wrecked

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:13:25 pm »
Both, though more information is probably relayed when they are speaking as NPCs.

Pankoki

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:00 pm »
Something I do, which granted is not a complete solution, is that I set my party chat color to something else (In my case orange). So in quests, while everyone is in party chat, the moment the DM says something it'll come out in white and make a big difference.

To do so, I modified these following lines in my nwnplayer.ini file

Code: [Select]
[Chat Colors]
TalkColor=240,240,240
ShoutColor=255,239,80
WhisperColor=255,15,15
TellColor=32,255,32
ServerColor=176,176,176
PartyColor=255,102,100
DMColor=16,223,255

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »
Huh, very nifty, Pan.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:27:24 pm »
Just a quick question to satisfy my curiosity here.  Why are there three number-values listed for each type of chat text color?  Are they the RGB values or something?

Pankoki

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »
Yep, its RGB. If you take a look at my whisper for instance, they are red. In addition the DMcolor is a little misleading, it is actually something only DMs see in the DM channel, not necessarily DM-text.

davidhoff

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:08 pm »
*Update to my question below* I tried putting Pankoki's codes in my nwnplayer.ini file and I tested it...I got "red" for whisper, "white" for talk and "pink" for party.  I guess I'll go with that now...but I think the pink might get to me after a while....anyone know what the codes are for yellow, orange and light green?

Thanks,

Tralek

I looked in my nwnplayer.ini file and couldn't find any lines regarding "chat colors".  Do I just add the information that Pankoki gave us ([chat colors], talkcolor=240, etc.) somewhere in that file...and if so where in that file?

Thanks

PS..great question Script and great anwer Pankoki

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 08:42:25 pm »
Very nice Pan I will use that myself. But i was wondering, what would be the digital number for pure red. I would like to use that for the party talk, and.

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:51:05 pm »
Pure red would be 255,0,0
Pure green would be 0,255,0
Pure blue would be 0,0,255

As for any colors in between, the simplest thing to do is to go into any Windows color picker (for example for choosing desktop colors, and of course, substituting the like applet in MacOS and Linux), and see what RGB values it gives for whatever color you choose.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 01:26:02 am »
Incidentally, to flip this around, I know some GMs would be resistant to this idea simply because having the same text color as everyone else helps with being a part of immersion.  Having some other color standing out to see sort of makes it seem like something separate.

That's neither a "yes" or a "no" but a "here's the other side of this" for you all.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:07 am »
Okay, I understand and acknowledge the flip side of this.

My counterpoint to that is the DM is the primary mechanism for feedback to the player, and not just in the sense of them playing the NPCs. The DM tells you what you see, tells you what you hear (and smell and touch and taste). Without the DM, you are in a void. To be suddenly dumped into a sensory deprived void pretty much breaks the immersion.

In the game, due to the graphical interface, the gross descriptive work is lifted from the shoulders of the DM, and we can even run around in the world without the interaction of a DM. However, when there is a DM shaping the events of the world that you are interacting with, you can see how the information they are presenting has some priority over other information, all of which is being channeled through the same text window.

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:45 am »
Oh sure.  The point though is that I would not require all GM-spoken text to be highlighted but rather give the GM control over what is and is not highlighted, if such a thing were done.

So maybe a GM might choose to only highlight descriptive information while leaving all conversational test in the normal white.

On this though, one should not complain to GMs who would choose not use such a thing.  It should be their choice, as I'm sure some will embrace it and others will not.

Fidzy

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 08:38:20 am »
Quote from: Pankoki
Something I do, which granted is not a complete solution, is that I set my party chat color to something else (In my case orange). So in quests, while everyone is in party chat, the moment the DM says something it'll come out in white and make a big difference.

To do so, I modified these following lines in my nwnplayer.ini file

Code: [Select]
[Chat Colors]
TalkColor=240,240,240
ShoutColor=255,239,80
WhisperColor=255,15,15
TellColor=32,255,32
ServerColor=176,176,176
PartyColor=255,102,100
DMColor=16,223,255

Other than chat colors, is there other parameters - such as font family or bold, italic?  I have done a search and found only [Chat Colors]. :(

If anyone has an answer, please let know.

Thanks

Dorganath

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 08:43:50 am »
There are only 2 fonts available in NWN, the normal one and the "high resolution" font, which I believe is a checkbox available within the in-game options.  All that does is make the text larger and easier to read on high-resolution monitors.

There is no bold, italic or any other sort of font properties.

Chongo

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 04:54:24 pm »

Dorganath

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:27 am »